1 week countdown - any advice from people who have already taken the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonociceptors

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all - my DAT is in one week and I was just wondering what you think was most beneficial for you during your final days. Here's what I'm trying to get done:

-Destroyer gen/org chemistry one more time each (this will be my 3rd time through the chemistry sections)
-Review notes I took on questions I missed from Destroyer Bio (only went through this once and it was last week, so it's still fresh)
-Retake all the Bootcamp tests until I get 28+ in the each science section and understand the ones I miss (I've been ranging anywhere from 20-24 with some higher scores in the sciences, 18/20 PAT, low 20s QR, mid 20s RC)
-Read through the notes I took from Chad's videos
-MAYBE read through Feralis once more, but I don't know how useful this would be...
-Finish MATH Destroyer (I've done 1-12, so just 13-15 left)
-ADA 2009 a few days before my DAT in case I freak out and decide to postpone

Any advice is appreciated! I felt eager to get it over with just last week, but now that I look at the calendar and see it's 7 days from now, I'm kind of worried :help:

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't retake the bootcamp practice sections for the sciences, especially the orgo and gen chem. For those, focus more on destroyer. For Bio, just do whatever you can manage, but do destroyer at least one more time very thoroughly.

The difference between 24 and 28 on the boot camp is one or two wrong answers. Looking at the same questions over and over will take a lot of time and not really teach you anything new. I felt like the science section was pretty easy compared to the practice material, I finished 15 minutes early and used the time to take a break and get ready for the next section. I wish I would have spent more time preparing for math. The PAT was also easier on the exam than on the practice material. Lastly, don't freak out and you should be fine with those practice scores.

At this stage of the game, just review your notes and your mistakes. I would stop taking practice tests 2 days before the exam and relax on the day before the exam. However, I have a friend who didn't sleep for 2 days and got a 25 TS 24AA... So do w/e you feel comfortable with and don't really change anything major (Diet, sleep pattern, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take it easy during last week. What I did was to go over my notes for all science sections and work on 3-4 PAT practice tests. Good luck!

MAKE A SCHEDULE over the next few days (excluding the day before your exam) and fit in the items you listed. I would suggest scheduling the notes and bookreading first then using the following days for practice. If you find yourself not accomplishing what's on your schedule then forego some of the items that you already feel comfortable with or the ones that you feel aren't that vital. This is what I did before my scheduled exam date. Don't be worried. If you're already averaging 20+ on the sections then you most likely won't obtain a bad score. You know your strengths and weaknesses at this point. Just trust your instincts, manage the time you have well, and breathe! Good luck

keep practicing PAT (i wish i did) and continue to go over the concepts/reactions/questions you get wrong. I reviewed a lot of things I kept getting wrong for the 4 days before the test and it was helpful as I saw a lot of those topics on my exam. Most importantly, TAKE SOME TIME TO RELAX before your test. I failed to do this, and instead of focusing on how much stuff I really DID know the day before my exam, I started to panic, tried to cram, and stressed myself out a lot. Don't do this.