1 Week to 2 Week Lucrative Locum Gigs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epilepsy365

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Assuming the doc is geographically and time flexible

Do they exist in Neurology? If so, what is the work description? Compensation including take home, transportation, lodging, and meal?

Just asking bc I’m heavily considering a career working in either the VA or military installation.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming the doc is geographically and time flexible

Do they exist in Neurology? If so, what is the work description? Compensation including take home, transportation, lodging, and meal?

Just asking bc I’m heavily considering a career working in either the VA or military installation.

I get so many offers for these gigs that I’ve blocked their numbers. You can get these sorts of gigs an hour away.

Typically you MUST remember that these people are taking finders fees. So best bet is to contract yourself and avoid the fees. You’re institutional malpractice DOES cover you in most cases and will be stipulated in the contract. Then just call around to practices. They’ll likely pay you around 5-10K a week, but the sky can be the limit if you’re willing to really work. The deals are different: range from hospital work, giving tPA, seeing MS change to doing EMGs. The market will never correct the profound shourtage of neurologists. Sucks for the patients and the PCPs who become default neurologists, but that’s the breaks in the regulated system that doesn’t reward cognitive specialties, so hospitals fight over the few neurologists for the increased coding and retention within their systems.

Reactions: 1 user
5k/week sounds very low to me. Quoted rates I've heard are more in the range of 150-175/hr outpatient, 175-200 inpatient--though I'm still working to educate myself in this regard. I'm less well informed about how overnights work, but I think I've heard 250 or so for holding the pager, 250-300 per hour overtime in which you come in. Ballpark I think 13-15k for a week of inpatient work, though I have friends who tell me it's starting to be more in the 15-20k range.

No shortage of these, although what you may find difficult is shoehorning these in around your main job, unless you're main job is very flexible about you taking time off at short notice.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
5k/week sounds very low to me. Quoted rates I've heard are more in the range of 150-175/hr outpatient, 175-200 inpatient--though I'm still working to educate myself in this regard. I'm less well informed about how overnights work, but I think I've heard 250 or so for holding the pager, 250-300 per hour overtime in which you come in. Ballpark I think 13-15k for a week of inpatient work, though I have friends who tell me it's starting to be more in the 15-20k range.

No shortage of these, although what you may find difficult is shoehorning these in around your main job, unless you're main job is very flexible about you taking time off at short notice.
From what I've seen and heard, your numbers are low for locum.

However they are spot on for permanent assignments. Most permanent neurohospitalist positions pay ~300k for week on/week off plus two weeks off a year. So 300k for 24 weeks. That's to cover 12hrs a day not 24/7. If you do the math, the hourly rate comes out to be 150/hr or 12500 a week (similar to what IM hospitalist gigs pay).For overnight coverage (aka holding the pager), the jobs I've seen in a major metropolitan area pay 500+/night.

If permanent neurohospitalist gigs pay ~13k a week, locum must pay significantly more to 1) offset the loss of benefits that perm jobs normally provide 2) offset the cost of instability 3) attract candidates to crappy locations/work environments.

That would be awesome if I'm low--very glad to hear it!

Does anybody know if there is a good source for this info? It seems like it's mainly asking around on various forums, putting pieces together etc. The variability seems pretty high. I presume if their were something like this, then it would help with negotiating immensely (plus, helping to minimize the cut that the locums companies take).