Jan 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey, everyone. I've posted a few times on here, and read through many threads on which I left no comments, but all the information on this site has been incredibly helpful.

When looking at Post Bacc programs, I decided early on that I wanted both to minimize cost (within reason) and to knock out the post bacc in 1 year. From the get go, I dismissed 2 year programs, and the really expensive programs that nobody was promoting (the forums were very helpful in that respect). I ultimately settled on the program at Miami. I live in south florida, and am an alumnus, so I save a lot in relocation and living expenses, and get a break on the tuition.

Be that as it may, I certainly will need financial aid to finance the program, and am concerned that the private portion will be hard to come by. So, as the subject suggests, I am considering stretching the program out over 2 years, so that I can borrow the federal max (I think it's $10,500), while working/volunteering/research full-time. I was wondering what you guys thought about how it might look getting straight As while only taking one class per semester, versus knocking it out in 1 year, full-time.

My preference remains to do it full-time, in 1 year, but I am preparing for the scenario where I cannot fund it.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions! :D

mspeedwagon

7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2009
Florida
Status
Medical Student
If you can work and make enough money to pay for the classes, that is the better approach. One versus two years does not really matter.

Hey, everyone. I've posted a few times on here, and read through many threads on which I left no comments, but all the information on this site has been incredibly helpful.

When looking at Post Bacc programs, I decided early on that I wanted both to minimize cost (within reason) and to knock out the post bacc in 1 year. From the get go, I dismissed 2 year programs, and the really expensive programs that nobody was promoting (the forums were very helpful in that respect). I ultimately settled on the program at Miami. I live in south florida, and am an alumnus, so I save a lot in relocation and living expenses, and get a break on the tuition.

Be that as it may, I certainly will need financial aid to finance the program, and am concerned that the private portion will be hard to come by. So, as the subject suggests, I am considering stretching the program out over 2 years, so that I can borrow the federal max (I think it's $10,500), while working/volunteering/research full-time. I was wondering what you guys thought about how it might look getting straight As while only taking one class per semester, versus knocking it out in 1 year, full-time.

My preference remains to do it full-time, in 1 year, but I am preparing for the scenario where I cannot fund it.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions! :D

Dec 23, 2009
Status
Medical Student
From the point of view of a medical school admissions office, I don't think they care if you take 1 or 2 years. I did my post-bac in 1 year, but my program encouraged me to take 2 years, as most people spread it out. The cost was no different, so I don't believe they would encourage a 2-year program if it was harmful to your application. As far as your concern about only taking one class per semester, I don't think they will look at this as "easy," as long as you are productive the rest of the week. Working, volunteering and research are all productive and will only help your application.