10 hour days vs 8 hour days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacy Kid

LCDR
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had a choice, would you rather work four 10-hr days or five 8-hr days? Assume everything else is equal (same responsibilities, same co-workers, etc).

What are the pros and cons of each?

Members don't see this ad.

If you had a choice, would you rather work four 10-hr days or five 8-hr days? Assume everything else is equal (same responsibilities, same co-workers, etc).

I've done both as an intern.

Personally, I prefer to just work 4 days and then have a day to do whatever I want/need on a weekday. With 8-hour work days, I'd have to wait until the weekend.

Even though I get more tired doing 10-hour shifts, I prefer it that way.

I like having a weekday off, it is very convenient. It is nice to go home at 5pm but staying a couple hours longer each day is worth it for an extra day off in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work four 10s and I really like it. Fewer days of PTO for a weekend trip, of course 3-days weekends, an extra day to work at my float gigs, a day off for doctor appts, dentist, haircuts, etc.

That said, I have considered what it would be like to go to 5 8s because I get very little done after work on those 4 days. I'm really tired and I go to work so early in the morning that I get up in time to get ready and not much else. It's hard for me to find a time to work out, stuff like that. I spend at least one of my weekend days doing all the crap I didn't have time for during the work week.

The pros of 10s outweigh the cons, but it's not as ideal as it seems at first :laugh:

I do 10s but I'm at one end of the spectrum where I want maximum days off in a row to go on mini vacations. So I do eight 10-hr days in a row, then get six days off in a row, repeat every two weeks. Cons are it is tiring, and at my workplace we still only get the same two 15 minute paid breaks per day, so we're working 30 minutes more per week.

I would have preferred 10 hour days, since that's what I do anyway... but being a corporate slave, I don't exactly have a choice. It's working from here until forever with no overtime eligibility to boot.

On the upside, I do have flexible hours, exec bonus and 4 weeks of paid time off in a year.

Still, would have loved to have my father's schedule, three 12-hour days and one 6-hour day. It's nice to have 2 days off during the week, every week. :)

Also consider your commute time with both shifts, for folks in metro areas, a 10 hour shift may allow them to miss after work rush hour traffic.

Also consider your commute time with both shifts, for folks in metro areas, a 10 hour shift may allow them to miss after work rush hour traffic.
Not only this, but fewer commutes per week. Even if it's a short commute, doing it 4 times rather than 5 can really add up in terms of gas and mileage.

Not only this, but fewer commutes per week. Even if it's a short commute, doing it 4 times rather than 5 can really add up in terms of gas and mileage.

I usually don't worry about stuff like that since my commute to work is about as long or shorter than the amount I drive to go grocery shopping or to go out to eat.

Now, if you were commuting 30 minutes or more while everything else you do is much much closer to home, then yeah, it would be very important.

I do 10s but I'm at one end of the spectrum where I want maximum days off in a row to go on mini vacations. So I do eight 10-hr days in a row, then get six days off in a row, repeat every two weeks. Cons are it is tiring, and at my workplace we still only get the same two 15 minute paid breaks per day, so we're working 30 minutes more per week.

Where do you work? I've been looking to do this. I currently do 10 days of 8 hrs shifts, but I'd rather do the 8x10hr shifts.

Having just finished residency where 12 hr day is the typical work day, I would love to step down to the 10 hR day and have some 3 day weekends. :thumbup:

I would rather four 10 hour days so I can get 3 days off instead of 2 days.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the 10 hour shift is definitely the way to go. I know a lot of pharmacist that routinely work 12 or 14 hour shifts. This is because they work from open to close. I would gladly work a couple extra hours a day and get an extra day off. One thing to think about is if you are like me and live 30 min away from work.....you save 1 hour (there and back) plus a days worth of gas by working the 10 hour shift 4 days a week. My schedule is 5 ten hour days, then 2 12 hour days, then 7 days off. Working 7 straight days can be tough but knowing I have 7 days off to look forward to gets me through it!

Last edited:
Where do you work? I've been looking to do this. I currently do 10 days of 8 hrs shifts, but I'd rather do the 8x10hr shifts.
I work at home for Walgreens Power. So I forgot about the 1 day less commute that others brought up, which is a good point.

Four ten-hour shifts and five eight-hour shifts are the same number of hours on paper, but in real life, there's no comparison. That extra day off is crucial for my work-life balance!

I do 7 on 7 off 10 hour days with a 1 hour commute each way, which I just cut down to 45 minutes by moving (yay!). I think, if you have the option to decide, you should base it on a few factors.

1. Personal Habits: Do you manage time well enough to get your stuff done in your evenings and weekends? Do you do anything in evenings after work anyway or do you wait till you have days off to see friends/plan things etc.? Do you need to go to doctors often, have maintenance done on your house, etc that can't be done on the weekends/evenings?

2. Commute: The longer the commute, the less days you should want to work. Obvious one.

3. The job itself: Is this a job you can perform better with one schedule or the other? With 10 hour shifts, do you find yourself running out of stuff to do for the last few hours, or with 8 hour shifts, do you find yourself not being able to get all your work done and leaving things for the next day?

4. Goals for traveling/PRN work/etc: Could you use 3 day weekends for trips and not have to take time off? You only need 10 hours of vaca to get a 4 day weekend as opposed to 16 if you work 8 hour shifts. Do you have a 2nd job you do prn work? More days off may equal more income if you are up to the workload.

Personally, I love my shift. I only work 70 hours total, so over the year I work 16% less than the regular guys. It has its trade offs. With my commute and the hours I work (2nd shift), I am basically a shut in for a whole week. It can be tiring/boring. The last 2-3 days can really wear on you and sometimes its enough that I feel my work performance suffers. However, I have the ability to take 4-5 day vacations all the time. Go backpacking during the week so its not crowded even in the popular areas. Have lazy non productive days without it affecting anything. It works for me and what I do. Plus being a pharmacist whose friends are mostly all pharmacists thanks to pharm school, no one else works 8 to 5 so I don't have much to do in the evenings anyway most days.

I also don't like the fact that I go to work and come home from work in the dark for 4 months. At least our hospital pharmacy has windows!

it depends. is this at a job you enjoy or not enjoy? if you enjoy it and it is fun then the 10 hour isnt bad.

i dont know how the hell people do those 14 hour CVS shifts without wanting to off themselves.

My max hours of work I can tolerate in one day is 10 hours and that's only if it's the night shift. I highly prefer never to take up a 12 hour shift and I honestly don't know how people work 14 hour shifts in a fairly busy pharmacy. That is just ridiculous to me from an employee standpoint.

I have worked 12 hour shifts twice, and I hated it. My the end of the day, I was tired and miserable.

it depends. is this at a job you enjoy or not enjoy? if you enjoy it and it is fun then the 10 hour isnt bad.

i dont know how the hell people do those 14 hour CVS shifts without wanting to off themselves.

The pharmacists at my CVS work 4 12 hour shifts one week then 3 12 hour shifts the next. In an extremely low volume area, they don't appear to be at a stressful pace and they have a lot of fun with the techs.

It has been said before, but retail is all about location. If you like the more rural settings, then retail pharmacy can be an excellent low(er) stress career.

I would take 4 10-hr days. I work 10-hr days now, only if I would have 3 days off every week would be wonderful. My schedule now is kind of crappy. Every other week I would work 6 out of 7 days. It's exhausting without having a real break working 54 hours in 7 days with only one day off.

I also worked 5 8-hr days before, it's also tiring if it's a busy store AND if you only work during the week. Monday through Friday are much busier days, that could be exhausting also.

Oh, I've only worked retail so hospitals or other practices may be different, but I would still take 4 10-hr days :thumbup:

Big fan of the longer shifts, Worked 4 10's in some of my past jobs -- one of the reasons pharmacy appealed to me was shorter work weeks/longer shifts.

There is some crazy stuff out there in nuke.. Seen some job postings for private nuke companies, one was 16 hour shifts, but, 26 weeks/year of vacation