10 min interview!?!? What does this mean???!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike59

Sweatshop FP in Ontario
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I had a very strange interview at a medical school earlier this week. The first interview lasted literally only 10 min! Later in the day, my second interview with a different faculty member lasted about an hour.

Could the first interviewer just have been busy (he was a high ranking department head), but still, 10 min??? Is it possible that because I had very strong recs, high GPA and decent MCAT, the interviewer just wanted to make sure that I could string words together in sentences?

I'm very curious to see how I end up at this school, it was bizzare to have a 9am interview and be out of the office at 9:09!

Anyone with similar experiences or feedback??

Members don't see this ad.

i've had similar experiences... it can be very awkward and depending on the interviewer it can even be harsh (despite how well you answer everything). I have yet to hear from any of my schools but am definitely looking fwd to the outcomes!!!
good luck!
DD

Originally posted by Mike59
Hey all,

I had a very strange interview at a medical school earlier this week. The first interview lasted literally only 10 min! Later in the day, my second interview with a different faculty member lasted about an hour.

Could the first interviewer just have been busy (he was a high ranking department head), but still, 10 min??? Is it possible that because I had very strong recs, high GPA and decent MCAT, the interviewer just wanted to make sure that I could string words together in sentences?

I'm very curious to see how I end up at this school, it was bizzare to have a 9am interview and be out of the office at 9:09!

Anyone with similar experiences or feedback??

Hey, a 10 min. interview simply means a 10 min. interview. This could mean anything...good or bad. Take a few deep breaths and don't get so paranoid okay.

Do some meditation or something because it just seems like you are wigging out over there. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
i had a twenty minute interview...but only because i asked like ten minutes worth of questions...and this was with an assoc. dean of admissions. anyhow, i felt kind of weird about the length of the interview, too...esp. since i felt like the only person who got out of an interview in twenty minutes. try not to worry about it. you did your best. and it's over. (that's what i'm telling myself anyway...)

who knows--it could be good--meaning that maybe the interview was 'pro forma' and theyve already decided your in....;)

maybe you were overqualified so they knew u were gonna be accepted. the dean at tufts claims outright that he knows w/in the first 15 seconds if an applicant will be admitted. although i didn't have an interview w/ him, i remember him churning through 4-5 interviews that afternoon while most interviews did 2-3. my guess was each of his interviews lasted 10-15 minutes.

My interviews last year...some were very long..and I got in...otheres were a set length...

The one at the school I currently attend was about 20 minutes long. Long enough for them to know they wanted me ;)

A friend of mine had a 10 minute interview also, and he was really worried about it. But a week later he got his acceptance call, so don't just assume that it's a bad sign. As for why, I have no idea, he could have just been busy. In my friend's case he was later told that that interviewer was notorious for conducting very short interviews. Good luck, and try not to stress about it.