10 radiology subspecialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fedor

gunning like the NRA
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read that the boards are divided into 10 radiology subspecialties.

1. neuroradiology
2. GI
3. thoracic
4. mammography
5. nuclear medicine
6. pediatric radiology
7. interventional radiology
8. musculoskeletal radiology
9. ultrasound.
10. GU

Please correct me if I'm wrong since I couldn't find anything authoritative about what those subspecialties are. This is the best list I could find after spending quite a bit of time googling.

Also, for the residents, fellows, and attendings, are these demarcations pretty accurate for the divisions within radiology? Do residents spend a few months rotating within each specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

The division for the boards is rather arbitrary. For example 'ultrasound' is a modality, not a subspecialty of radiology. We use US in abdominal imaging, vascular imaging, OB/Gyn, still it exists as a separate specialty.

In reality, the subspecialties follow less the division on the boards, and more the division of the fellowships offered. Most people either go into:

- Neuroradiology
- musculoskeletal
- Body imaging (MRI + CT of the body)
- interventional radiology
- mammography/womens imaging
- peds

There are still some chest and peds fellowships around, but they have a hard time filling.

f_w said:
The division for the boards is rather arbitrary. For example 'ultrasound' is a modality, not a subspecialty of radiology. We use US in abdominal imaging, vascular imaging, OB/Gyn, still it exists as a separate specialty.

In reality, the subspecialties follow less the division on the boards, and more the division of the fellowships offered. Most people either go into:

- Neuroradiology
- musculoskeletal
- Body imaging (MRI + CT of the body)
- interventional radiology
- mammography/womens imaging
- peds

There are still some chest and peds fellowships around, but they have a hard time filling.
i'm just a first year med student, so i have a question that seems pretty basic: what's the difference between body imaging and musculoskeletal?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
MSK--> bones, joints, tendons, muscles

Body--> Liver, kidneys, bowel....

To some degree they do overlap. And in the reality of non-academic practice the 'body' person will read plenty of MSK studies and the MSK person will read plenty of 'body' work. Outside of academia, many radiologists are practicing a broader field than their fellowship specialty.

How many radiologists do a nuclear medicine fellowship?

f_w said:
Outside of academia, many radiologists are practicing a broader field than their fellowship specialty.

That's what one of my rads colleagues was saying - no matter what your fellowship was in, if you're not academic, you're still reading lots and lots of plain films and CTs - that your neuro or interventional or body will not be all (or most) of your time.

Apollyon said:
That's what one of my rads colleagues was saying - no matter what your fellowship was in, if you're not academic, you're still reading lots and lots of plain films and CTs - that your neuro or interventional or body will not be all (or most) of your time.

A private practice radiologist family friend of mine (partner in the practice, about 60 years old) rarely looks at MRIs because he prefers that the younger guys w/ more training in MRI do those. He takes a disproportionate share of the mamms instead. However, when he's on call, he does everything including MRI's.

f_w said:
MSK--> bones, joints, tendons, muscles

Body--> Liver, kidneys, bowel....

To some degree they do overlap. And in the reality of non-academic practice the 'body' person will read plenty of MSK studies and the MSK person will read plenty of 'body' work. Outside of academia, many radiologists are practicing a broader field than their fellowship specialty.
cool. thanks :thumbup: