10-year rule??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mulch1818

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
one of my Kaplan classmates is an IMG who tried scrambling yesterday. she was asked by one PD, " when did you graduate med school?" the answer was 1990, to which he responded, " well, i'm sorry, but i try to maintain a 10-yr rule--- i'd like someone who graduated no later than 1995".

is there an unwritten/assumed "10-year rule" ?? anyone ever heard of this?

my friend graduated in 1990 and did residency in medicine (both in europe), has been working in the local med school for the past 8 yrs, and has passed all exams (steps 1/2/ csa). she has a recent publication (2004) and has followed physicians for the past 2 years (similar to our clerkships/rotations).

is this an isolated incident, or something to be prepared for along the scramble/match trail? any and all info/advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

mulch1818 said:
one of my Kaplan classmates is an IMG who tried scrambling yesterday. she was asked by one PD, " when did you graduate med school?" the answer was 1990, to which he responded, " well, i'm sorry, but i try to maintain a 10-yr rule--- i'd like someone who graduated no later than 1995".

is there an unwritten/assumed "10-year rule" ?? anyone ever heard of this?

my friend graduated in 1990 and did residency in medicine (both in europe), has been working in the local med school for the past 8 yrs, and has passed all exams (steps 1/2/ csa). she has a recent publication (2004) and has followed physicians for the past 2 years (similar to our clerkships/rotations).

is this an isolated incident, or something to be prepared for along the scramble/match trail? any and all info/advice would be appreciated.

At the program(FP) at our hospital, they will only take graduates from the last 5 years. Especially for FMGs. I was told this today by the residency coordinator. Not sure about others but that what they do at this program