State License and more than 10 years between USMLE Step 1 and Step3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tkayenn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am almost at the end of residency. My step 1 and step 3 are more than 10 years apart which limits me from getting license in a lot of states. I wanted to ask if some one know of any waiver or process to get over this hurdle. I am looking into non accredited fellowships which require me to have independent practitioner license. Please suggest. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

It's going to depend on the state involved. Many don't have time limits. Of the ones that do have time limits, 7 and 10 years are common - but often you can get exceptions to that if you already have a license in another state and/or are board certified in an ABMS specialty. That is, getting primary licensure in state X might be impossible - but you could just get a license in state Y first, then get one in state X by endorsement rather than by exams.

Honestly, your best bet would be to identify which states you might be going to and contacting their boards directly.

Reactions: 1 users
It's going to depend on the state involved. Many don't have time limits. Of the ones that do have time limits, 7 and 10 years are common - but often you can get exceptions to that if you already have a license in another state and/or are board certified in an ABMS specialty. That is, getting primary licensure in state X might be impossible - but you could just get a license in state Y first, then get one in state X by endorsement rather than by exams.

Honestly, your best bet would be to identify which states you might be going to and contacting their boards directly.
Thank you very much that is what I thought.
I am homing down to OH and they did say waiver happen but after they review the application. Will apply and try my luck.

Are you MD/PhD? I thought that there were exemptions for MD/PhDs on the 7-year rule for USMLE...

I am almost at the end of residency. My step 1 and step 3 are more than 10 years apart which limits me from getting license in a lot of states. I wanted to ask if some one know of any waiver or process to get over this hurdle. I am looking into non accredited fellowships which require me to have independent practitioner license. Please suggest. Thank you.

Some states have 7 years, some 10 and some none (NY and maybe FL come to mind). Some you can get a waiver (I did!), some you cannot (GA comes to mind). I think most places will allow you to likely get a waiver for good cause. Some might not. For some states if you are board certified they will give you a license even if more than 10 years (Tx), others will give you a license evne if you miss deadlines if you have a license in another state that doesn't have this requirement (Arizona). Apply and see.