Forum Members 100 DAY MCAT STUDY PLAN adapted from SN2ed & MCATjelly - EK, TBR, TPRH, Kaplan

soul fox

2+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I made an equation sheet as I was studying. Memorized the equation sheet. Then reproduced the equation sheet on the scratch paper given to me during the tutorial time allotted. I found this very useful.
Nymeria: Thanks for all the time you've put into helping all of us out! You've gone above and beyond with this thread...

I hope I'm not pushing my luck by asking...but do you have any recommendations as to which equations we should focus on? I've come across soooo many equations during the content review, it's been a bit overwhelming...did you just write all of them down and narrow your list as you did practice problems?

vl166

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi! Thanks so much for posting your plan; this looks great. I was wondering what year TBR books you used? Mine say copyright 2010-2011. Not sure if I should get something more updated.

OP
_Nymeria_
Sep 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student
quick question from @_Nymeria_ so we read the chapter on Day 1 and do the questions...but wait for Day 2 to check the answers?
This is up to you. SN2ed recommended reviewing the next day. Personally, I'd quickly look over the answers as soon as I was done. I tried to reason why I got something right and why I got something wrong. If I was too "study brained" then I came back the next day to REALLY UNDERSTAND why I was missing questions or what I did to get them right.

Reactions: dlgmedschool
About the Ads
OP
_Nymeria_
Sep 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Nymeria, when you said you memorized your equations/formulas and wrote them down on the scratch paper the day of, did you write them all down immediately during the first section or did you write them before (physics)and before (chemistry)? I know that we have to "turn in" our scratch paper after each section and this is making me anxious. Thank you for your help.
When I took the test in 2015 and 2014, I did not have to turn in my scratch paper. You have the option of exchanging it for a clean sheet if you'd like, but the booklet has plenty of space (I write a lot so I promise, it's plenty). I would greatly discourage you from doing an equation sheet during the actual sections. Time is extremely important on the MCAT.

OP
_Nymeria_
Sep 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Nymeria: Thanks for all the time you've put into helping all of us out! You've gone above and beyond with this thread...

I hope I'm not pushing my luck by asking...but do you have any recommendations as to which equations we should focus on? I've come across soooo many equations during the content review, it's been a bit overwhelming...did you just write all of them down and narrow your list as you did practice problems?
I created the equation sheet as I went. It slowly got longer and longer. Just jot down the equations you use frequently from practice questions and full lengths. I tried to recreate it every day. I attached old pictures of mine! They're hard to read, but the point is you want to make a sheet for YOU! If you're solid in chemistry, you probably won't have as much as I had on mine. **Also, this was one of my really quick practice sheets, so it might have errors on it**.

I rewrote this sheet the night before the MCAT and also the morning of. I found it helped boost my confidence quite a bit! Hope this helps.

Attachments

OP
_Nymeria_
Sep 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I would get so tired re-writing that:bear:

Now that I know you are ALIVE, @_Nymeria_ ,

I know you said the Kaplan column on the right side is all optional, but what about the Kaplan stuff in in purple and yellow (biochem, psyc/soc)?
The only Kaplan materials I used were the online full lengths. And haha.. yeah I'm barely alive.. med school is seriously no joke :smuggrin::bored: You just want to make sure you have a way to review material (I used BR and Khan Academy) and a way to test yourself on those topics consistently (I used BR and some other random resources like the NextStep Psych Practice book - but that was only because there were NO 2015 materials when I started studying for the 2015 MCAT). For review of material, Kaplan gets way too detailed. You'll see the more you study for the MCAT, the less you really need to know. It's all about test taking strategy. Of course, you do need foundational knowledge.

I think I had the Kaplan stuff in those columns specifically because I didn't know where else I could get that information (biochem and psych) because like I said, nothing was really available at the time. The BR Bio books actually had some good biochem passages in them. I did not like the NextStep Biochem book, I thought it was ridiculously difficult. They might have fixed it from 2015, but I did like the psych practice book by them.

For the equation sheet, I got really fast at writing it, and sometimes I didn't recreate the whole thing. Just by writing it over and over, you start to learn the equations.

Reactions: dokte

soul fox

2+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I created the equation sheet as I went. It slowly got longer and longer. Just jot down the equations you use frequently from practice questions and full lengths. I tried to recreate it every day. I attached old pictures of mine! They're hard to read, but the point is you want to make a sheet for YOU! If you're solid in chemistry, you probably won't have as much as I had on mine. **Also, this was one of my really quick practice sheets, so it might have errors on it**.

I rewrote this sheet the night before the MCAT and also the morning of. I found it helped boost my confidence quite a bit! Hope this helps.
You are AMAZING! Thank you so much for getting back to me and for helping us all out. Best of luck in med school!!

Reactions: _Nymeria_

JustinM88

2+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Four questions for ya @_Nymeria_:
1. the Kaplan Psychology book is this one?:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1618654853/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A26J6JNN8TGTL9&psc=1

2. the AAMC Full Length (FL) #3-5 and 7-11 (SN2ed wrote this out) are where exactly? I looked at their website and I'm not seeing them numbered like this^

3. for this, "- You might want to consider making a log for all of your post test results where you work through the questions below. Doing so, you'll be able to easily notice trends.”, can you explain a bit about the bit that says "where you work through the questions below." Should I just paste my actual number scores from the test, or does this review log require one to actually take notes on each question?

4. While reading each book for content review, how detailed do you get when it comes to taking notes? Like, I would guess that if I scrutinize every sentence I would end up studying for 10 years...on the other hand, I don't want to breeze over important things...where's the sweet spot here?

PS. if any of these things have been answered before, feel free to just point out that you've answered it already ^.^

Last edited:
OP
_Nymeria_
Sep 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Four questions for ya @_Nymeria_:
1. the Kaplan Psychology book is this one?:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1618654853/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A26J6JNN8TGTL9&psc=1

2. the AAMC Full Length (FL) #3-5 and 7-11 (SN2ed wrote this out) are where exactly? I looked at their website and I'm not seeing them numbered like this^

3. for this, "- You might want to consider making a log for all of your post test results where you work through the questions below. Doing so, you'll be able to easily notice trends.”, can you explain a bit about the bit that says "where you work through the questions below." Should I just paste my actual number scores from the test, or does this review log require one to actually take notes on each question?

4. While reading each book for content review, how detailed do you get when it comes to taking notes? Like, I would guess that if I scrutinize every sentence I would end up studying for 10 years...on the other hand, I don't want to breeze over important things...where's the sweet spot here?

PS. if any of these things have been answered before, feel free to just point out that you've answered it already ^.^
1. No, like I've said quite a few times I did not read the Kaplan books. I used this one for psychology:
Amazon product
2. These were their old ones. They probably got rid of them. Remember that SN2ed took this like 6+ years ago and I took it in 2015.

3. I made an actual log and jotted down the mistakes I made and topics I needed to go over again.

4. I mostly leaned on Khan Academy and used the chapters to fill in the blanks. Do not go too much into detail.

Reactions: JustinM88
OP
_Nymeria_
Sep 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student
do you have a copy of the equations you memorized? I dont know which are important and which you wont need.
It's posted on this same page. Please read everything about the plan and all the links I've provided.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi @_Nymeria_
Are there specific versions of these study materials that I should get? Also, is the EK 1001 Series referring to the 1001 questions books?

Last edited:
About the Ads
Jan 20, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
One more thing, is the EK Biology listed on the materials referring to the EK passages Biology 1 Biochemistry and EK Biology 2 Systems?
@_Nymeria_

Seyrbeyr

2+ Year Member
May 19, 2014
Hello! Thank you so much for your brilliant schedule!
I purchased the newer editions of the books and I was wondering if anyone has the chapter conversion of your schedule for the new TBR books and 2018 Kaplan?

Reactions: MCATKINGS

Dhooy7

5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided), Pre-Medical
I was thinking about reproducing the AA's during my test. How useful would this be? Thanks!

Biochemistry69

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Would you recommend just throwing out TBR Verbal? Or replacing it with AAMC on the relevant days? I know you said it wasn't necessary, but it was also mentioned that we could use AAMC as a third source for CARS practice.

Mar 29, 2018
Is the MCAT based on a bank of questions? By that I Mean is there a large bank of questions and the test randomly generates from those questions?

MCATKINGS

MCAT Adviser + Planner who runs MCATBROS
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
@Seyrbeyr I created one. You can message me if you'd like!
@JustinS1600 - That will do, or use a different third party (EK, TPR Verbal) for initial practice. AAMC later on in your prep
@Helopilot17 - I think they constantly are changing the bank and removing questions that are used. Most test days seem to have a few versions of the test that don't come up again.

Reactions: stationeryfreak

PlsLetMeIn21

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
The only Kaplan materials I used were the online full lengths. And haha.. yeah I'm barely alive.. med school is seriously no joke :smuggrin::bored: You just want to make sure you have a way to review material (I used BR and Khan Academy) and a way to test yourself on those topics consistently (I used BR and some other random resources like the NextStep Psych Practice book - but that was only because there were NO 2015 materials when I started studying for the 2015 MCAT). For review of material, Kaplan gets way too detailed. You'll see the more you study for the MCAT, the less you really need to know. It's all about test taking strategy. Of course, you do need foundational knowledge.

I think I had the Kaplan stuff in those columns specifically because I didn't know where else I could get that information (biochem and psych) because like I said, nothing was really available at the time. The BR Bio books actually had some good biochem passages in them. I did not like the NextStep Biochem book, I thought it was ridiculously difficult. They might have fixed it from 2015, but I did like the psych practice book by them.

For the equation sheet, I got really fast at writing it, and sometimes I didn't recreate the whole thing. Just by writing it over and over, you start to learn the equations.
Very helpful information. Thank you for posting ALL of your insights.

Jun 12, 2014
Approximately how many hours per day is this study schedule taking ya'll?

Oct 1, 2018
My mcat study schedule.
I have access to TPR online lectures and content until end of January. I also have access to aamc full length test and TPR test until then. I have official mcat cue cards. Lastly I have McGraw Hill 500 question review for each section.
I am aiming for March 2019 test date and will have to get some access for FL AAMC for the last month and a half. I plan to do exams at the library with earphones to mock exam days on my fridays because I am off from work and it's a completely free day.
We can do this.
any suggestions hit me up.
View attachment StudySchedule_Timeline_7051.pdf

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Apr 15, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I am planning on taking the MCAT on July 20th. So far I have completed the prerequisites except for Biochem, physics 2, and organic chem 2. This coming semester I will be taking organic 2 along with some other classes, 2 medium level, and 1 easy level class. The time I have is January- May 9 (during semester) and till july 20th- exam day. Below I have provided my level of understanding in each topic. My main issue is figuring out a study plan to use through out the semester, where I only want to focus on content review for the most part, and cars. If anyone has any ideas please do share. thank you.

Biology- med/ high
Chemistry- medium
Physics- low
BioChem- medium
Psych/soc- high

About the Ads
Jun 12, 2014
What does the 1/3 mean?

Jan 5, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone,

I just began to study for the MCAT this February using the 100 day technique and I have all of the prep books but was wondering if the verbal books (ExamKrackers 101 Verbal Reasoning and TPRH) are still viable to use for the new MCAT CARS section?

Thanks

MCATKINGS

Vendor
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
200 Section Banks Review 3 days before your test is probably not wise. If you are going to use this schedule, I recommend moving up section banks at least 14-15 days before your exam. Almost all students spend 4 minutes PER question on the section bank material if they are to scrutinize each of their mistakes and all answer choices in their review - making this a 14 hour study day which is really not what most students can handle. Other AAMC material is a bit easier in caliber to the section bank and aim for a 2.5 minute average per question with review.

Just a small tip for those using this schedule. Otherwise an all around good schedule for someone who has 100 days to study full time with no breaks and ha the discipline to study 8 hours a day and has $1300 to spend on their MCAT preparation (materials+registration).

Thanks SDN for putting in the work to update this schedule. I have found that some schedules here are out of date and it's great to see some of them getting updated, cleaned up, and republished.

For lower cost solutions to this schedule:
1. Khan academy has equal # of passages for free vs. uworld
2. TPR science workbook is 1/3rd-1/2 the cost (1/6th to 1/4th the cost with resale potential with the same # of passages) vs uworld
3. Kaplan Books come with three practice exams and can be used as a replacement to NS
4. Remove Uworld entirely as berkley review + AAMC combination gives you more than enough practice. Instead of doing every third question in berkeley review - do each single one.
5. AAMC material can be obtained for Free if you qualify for the Fee Assistance Program
6. Older sets of Kaplan books are 99% the same in content (just rephrasing that does not change the meaning of anything and can typically be found at half cost to the newest edition).

A note to students: Any schedule you utilize, make sure to check it over and see how it works with you. Don't blindly follow it exactly. Do you have 8 hours a day to study? Do you need break days? Are you missing some prerequisites or are you a slow learner?

Last edited:
Reactions: cc24987

MCATKINGS

Vendor
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
With all due respect to everyone who has put in a lot of effort to make these plans- I don't think these are plans that everyone or even most people will be successful with. A plan must be specific to the person. You must tailor it to your strengths and weaknesses. Rather than relying SOLELY on others' advice, go to your Barnes and Nobles and check out the different book sets. Look at the style of writing and question formatting. Match that to the AAMC official guide. Also, look at your commitments, lifestyle, and circumstances.

Ultimately, the MCAT tests (directly and indirectly):

-knowledge of subjects
-more important: how effective you have been in learning these topics and retaining the concepts THROUGHOUT college.
-commitment to your career
-ability to prioritize and time manage
-ability to manage stress
-response to variable conditions and curve balls
-big one: self reflection!!!

Could not agree more!

irishking33

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
One major question about the SN2ed schedule: shouldn't I wait until I'm done doing the final 1/3 of BR passages for all 10 chapters of each book, before I start doing the AAMC FLs? I don't see why I would take the first practice AAMC FL exam before I'm done with all of the passages, since my content review is essentially incomplete (even though all the reading is done). What did you guys do?

MCATKINGS

Vendor
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Reactions: jconsidine101
Apr 15, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I am planning on taking the MCAT on July 20th. So far I have completed the prerequisites except for Biochem, physics 2, and organic chem 2. This coming semester I will be taking organic 2 along with some other classes, 2 medium level, and 1 easy level class. The time I have is January- May 9 (during semester) and till july 20th- exam day. Below I have provided my level of understanding in each topic. My main issue is figuring out a study plan to use through out the semester, where I only want to focus on content review for the most part, and cars. If anyone has any ideas please do share. thank you.

Biology- med/ high
Chemistry- medium
Physics- low
BioChem- medium
Psych/soc- high

May 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I am hoping to just stick to one resource, and I am debating between Kaplan and TPR. I already have all the AAMC materials, and have started on Khan. I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer any insight to more specific differences between the Kaplan and TPR, and what type of learners they tend to work for. (I have 12 weeks until the MCAT, so I need to make a decision soon!) I just finished taking all the prerequisites, but I am not confident in the scientific knowledge I already have. I also have a tendency to get caught up on little details. Thanks! :)

OP
_Nymeria_
Sep 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student

PlsLetMeIn21

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you so much Nymeria for taking the time to write your schedule. I used a slight variation of your schedule after reading post after post here and at reddit. It worked perfectly for me (132s in C/P and B/B) except for CARS :(

You are correct that there are new materials out there, but I also think that TBR has more passages now than when you used them. I personally didn't like UWorld, so I stopped using them early on. Others like them, but I felt the biology questions were unrealistic and beyond the MCAT and the other areas were not well written. I hear they are awesome for the boards, but I think they may have overshot the MCAT biology and be too far removed from the other subjects.

I really don't think you need to add anything to your schedule. Grind through TBR at the start and learn how to think, then grind through AAMC materials and learn the writer's tendencies, and finish with 10 FLs. That formula still works well today.

Reactions: _Nymeria_

MCATKINGS

Vendor
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Congrats on being one of the top threads on SDN.

About the Ads