1099 Chicago Suburbs vs W2 for New Grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1183208

This is for all the upcoming grads who want to be in the Chicago area. I apologize in advance if this does not belong in this sub forum.

I hear yet another exclusive group of long established anesthesiologists are about to be replaced by a big box AMC. That’s now 4 hospitals within the last 3 years or so. All have been unsuccessful in transitioning folks to a stable W2 job. The new hires all have erratic shifts while the 1099 folks get their desired shifts and come out ahead in terms of lifestyle.

So new grads should not accept any offers under high 300s per hour worked or on primary beeper call. I’ll exclude the backups. That’s nearly 800k allocated for 50h weekly and 8 weeks off. No one is giving their employee 300k in benefits. They will try to bamboozle you into thinking the W2 job is great under their corporate umbrella. Even new anesthesiologists just like the CRNA collective have to keep pressure on in this market to ensure new physicians don’t sign up for a garbage lifestyle.

If you are taking primary or even beeper call more than once a week, you will be stretched to do even more. Something that I heard from a person at Sherman. Seems to be happening elsewhere too. The only safe haven in corporate world is NM CDH. But others can comment if I’m wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
This is for all the upcoming grads who want to be in the Chicago area. I apologize in advance if this does not belong in this sub forum.

I hear yet another exclusive group of long established anesthesiologists are about to be replaced by a big box AMC. That’s now 4 hospitals within the last 3 years or so. All have been unsuccessful in transitioning folks to a stable W2 job. The new hires all have erratic shifts while the 1099 folks get their desired shifts and come out ahead in terms of lifestyle.

So new grads should not accept any offers under high 300s per hour worked or on primary beeper call. I’ll exclude the backups. That’s nearly 800k allocated for 50h weekly and 8 weeks off. No one is giving their employee 300k in benefits. They will try to bamboozle you into thinking the W2 job is great under their corporate umbrella. Even new anesthesiologists just like the CRNA collective have to keep pressure on in this market to ensure new physicians don’t sign up for a garbage lifestyle.

If you are taking primary or even beeper call more than once a week, you will be stretched to do even more. Something that I heard from a person at Sherman. Seems to be happening elsewhere too. The only safe haven in corporate world is NM CDH. But others can comment if I’m wrong.
What makes CDH safer?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think any of the northwestern employed jobs are good. Obviously you can make more doing pure locums but all in all they are good jobs

Reactions: 1 user
I would advise anyone who is considering locums in the Chicago area, or likely anywhere else, to avoid CHG/Comphealth/Weatherby. Their rates sre much lower than other companies at the same hospitals.

They will low ball new grads to 300 thinking you know nothing. That’s why if everyone is well informed how much they are making off you, you should collectively demand more or look elsewhere outside of Chicago. Agency charges the hospital the same rate 500 for a provider. Just gets larger cuts from those who don’t demand more and state their “mentor” or family friend is getting 350-375.

I am getting an offer of 350 in Chicagoland. A busy, fast pace place, I heard. Maybe lowballed?

Hmm. What do folks think is a good W2 hourly rate before benefits? Sounds like Chicago locums is good for a new grad just figuring things out. Better than a bad W2 job with a lot of call when everyone is short staffed.

W2 prn/ locums is the worst thing you can do for yourself.

You have no benefits with that and nor any access to pre tax income to reduce taxes.

Get your own malpractice and negotiate directly with the hospital/ groups.

W2 prn/ locums is the worst thing you can do for yourself.

You have no benefits with that and nor any access to pre tax income to reduce taxes.

Get your own malpractice and negotiate directly with the hospital/ groups.

Might not be worth getting own malpractice if doing prn shifts

Might not be worth getting own malpractice if doing prn shifts
It depends on how many prn shifts and anticipated income. If you get part time occurrence based malpractice it will cost you 3-4 shifts of income

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on how many prn shifts and anticipated income. If you get part time occurrence based malpractice it will cost you 3-4 shifts of income
Yeah. You can pay off your part time policy in about 4 shifts.

Also lot of 1099 places cover your malpractice with a slot policy plus tail. You would just need to get some health insurance on the marketplace which is cheap for younger folks.

Lot of unknowns with current W2 jobs with how much call and other nonsense. Best would be a part time position to see if you can tolerate the workplace. Probably can switch to full time when you are ready. There is zero value in partnership tracks nowadays since no one knows when the group folds.

580 is not realistic. 580 is possible at CDH working a lot, but not feasible at the other northwestern sites. My site is 440+ incentives. I came in around 550 last year with call and extra days worked.

580 is not realistic. 580 is possible at CDH working a lot, but not feasible at the other northwestern sites. My site is 440+ incentives. I came in around 550 last year with call and extra days worked.
580k in actual salary or with benefits ? And define working a lot

thanks for sharing. Just curious, what is your call schedule like and how many hours do you work/week?

thanks for sharing. Just curious, what is your call schedule like and how many hours do you work/week?
24 hour weekend call roughly once a month. Backup call also probably 1-2x per month leaving anywhere between 7pm-midnight with maybe 30-40% callback. We average 50-55 hrs on a normal week. Post call day off for overnight, first one out for backup call.

Northwestern is in a very nice location in down town Chicago along the lake. That plus the ability to jerk off to working at a prestigious academic institution is enough non-monetary compensation for many to make up for the lack if money.

Lets be honest, those two factors do indeed have some value, especially the location IMO. Just not enough value for me to ever have a desire to work there.

Northwestern is in a very nice location in down town Chicago along the lake. That plus the ability to jerk off to working at a prestigious academic institution is enough non-monetary compensation for many to make up for the lack if money.

Lets be honest, those two factors do indeed have some value, especially the location IMO. Just not enough value for me to ever have a desire to work there.
With the extra you make in PP you won’t have to jerk off.

Central dupage hospital. They had an ad out on gaswork a bit ago but I don't see it anymore.
They are supposedly full come September. Possibly upcoming grads going there. Or is it just talk? Plenty folks are not “full” time work fractions. I think that’s a sane approach that should be adopted everywhere. Hopefully all the hospitals take note as they implode everywhere

I would argue that’s possibly the worst location in the city to be in terms of commute unless you’re living in streeterville. Getting around the campus is a huge pain in the ass, there’s always traffic, and I’ve heard most people have to pay a significant amount to park at the hospital every month.

Reactions: 1 users
I would argue that’s possibly the worst location in the city to be in terms of commute unless you’re living in streeterville. Getting around the campus is a huge pain in the ass, there’s always traffic, and I’ve heard most people have to pay a significant amount to park at the hospital every month.
It’s relatively bad unless you want true academic ladder. People left there to do locums or go part time (to secretly do locums). A locum told my friend that he does it on his PTO time. Even NW is being arrogant about the shortage. If ppl left NW in droves or all went part time, then they might react by raising salaries.

So residents need to NOT listen to their attendings about the old workhorse mindset. The young gen need to carve out a new era where everyone works at most 40h weekly with crap calls spread out well. Then ppl don’t leave jobs for temp jobs.

Agreed. These fancy downtown hospitals (NMH, UCLA, NYU, etc) are great when you’re young and spending your nights at Michelin starred restaurants. When you’re trying to get home in time to catch your kid’s baseball game in the suburbs and there’s an hour of traffic…not so much.

Reactions: 2 users
What’s the opinion on this setup?

360 base plus OT
Probably near 410
Think avg W2 rate is 220/hr
60-70 weekdays or 12-13 weeks off
9-10 weekend days of call per year
Match 6%
Health included

What’s the opinion on this setup?

360 base plus OT
Probably near 410
Think avg W2 rate is 220/hr
60-70 weekdays or 12-13 weeks off
9-10 weekend days of call per year
Match 6%
Health included

No weekday call? 12-13 weeks off are for vacation only or post-call days included?

No weekday call? 12-13 weeks off are for vacation only or post-call days included?
3 weekday calls 3pm-7a. 1 weekend. 1-2 backups monthly. 12-13 weeks off. Or can do like 1 day off per week and then have like 8 whole weeks.

3 weekday calls 3pm-7a. 1 weekend. 1-2 backups monthly. 12-13 weeks off. Or can do like 1 day off per week and then have like 8 whole weeks.

Average. Too many calls. Are calls busy?

Why don’t start with locum? You can always get an employed job.

Average. Too many calls. Are calls busy?

Why don’t start with locum? You can always get an employed job.
50/50 on calls. Backup stays til 9ish.

Locums sounds great short time but can’t that change with the economy? Them just just pulling your contract? Uncertain unless you’ve got a solid plan. PM me

24 hour weekend call roughly once a month. Backup call also probably 1-2x per month leaving anywhere between 7pm-midnight with maybe 30-40% callback. We average 50-55 hrs on a normal week. Post call day off for overnight, first one out for backup call.
Weekday calls per month?
Are calls very busy? 20-30% after 11p or like 50/50?