Job Search in Chicago and Surrounding Suburbs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pateln381

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I am currently a pain medicine fellow in Chicago. I am looking for a job in Chicago and nearby suburbs. Ideally, I would like to find a job that is a hybrid of anesthesia and pain. If that is not possible, I am open to other options as well. Please let me know if you have any leads or connections. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

We might have an opening coming up. SW suburbs of Chicago. Employed position. No pain. If interested I can send more info in a DM.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, everyone. I am currently a pain medicine fellow in Chicago. I am looking for a job in Chicago and nearby suburbs. Ideally, I would like to find a job that is a hybrid of anesthesia and pain. If that is not possible, I am open to other options as well. Please let me know if you have any leads or connections. Thanks in advance!!
When were you available to start?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So many places in Chicago hiring right now.
Hmm. Any places with sort of part time work (30-40h) that offer health benefits and 401k? Gaswork has lot of listings but would like a congenial group that doesn’t screw over new hires. Can send me a DM.

Hmm. Any places with sort of part time work (30-40h) that offer health benefits and 401k? Gaswork has lot of listings but would like a congenial group that doesn’t screw over new hires. Can send me a DM.

I dont know the specifics. I know some academic places like Northshore and Northwestern offer "part time" with health and retirement benefits. Easier for you just to ask them directly rather than on SDN

Part time seems to be met with resistance at least socially. Wonder if locums lasts into 2026 in the area. Besides NCH and Lutheran, I appreciate any good leads. Can PM me

Different stokes for different folks. Most important to find a good locum company with good rates. Plenty of other Chicagoland places looking for locums including Rush Copley, Rush GI center, NM satellites, Advocate Lutheran and Sherman.

Different stokes for different folks. Most important to find a good locum company with good rates. Plenty of other Chicagoland places looking for locums including Rush Copley, Rush GI center, NM satellites, Advocate Lutheran and Sherman.
Rush sites are 1:4 minimum. I called. Wanna move to 1:6 in near future so CRNAs are at top of their license

• Wow
  • Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't that always the plan everywhere, in all specialties, for locums and non-locums alike?
But helpful for those who might be wasting time making the journey to Chicago if they change the rate. Pain to fly around and then suddenly it’s a different value. Everyone should just avoid the Rush system based on all the posts here

But helpful for those who might be wasting time making the journey to Chicago if they change the rate. Pain to fly around and then suddenly it’s a different value. Everyone should just avoid the Rush system based on all the posts here

Seems like Rush has a terrible reputation. My thoight about their GI lab locum is why their own faculty and staff doesn't do it?

Rush downtown has poor staffing as it is. So they got NAPA to do the endo center. Weird
The satellite places are really bad. My friend decided to locum and was overwhelmed by incompetence after 1 week. CRNAs do whatever. The Northstar/NAPA person disappears at 3

Opinion from those out there good and bad? Major metro area too.

1. Hospital private for now - 360k for 4 days and per month 3/2 primary/backup call. 30 days off. Solo and supervision. Non call day out by 4.

2. Hospital - 360k for 4 days. OT 225/hr. 1 weekend day per month. 2 backups per month; off ? next day. 2 overnight 3p-7a per month. Mostly solo. Sign on? 8 weeks off.

3. Academic - 300k for 4 days. 4 OR til 5pm. 7 weeks off. Trauma 1 call twice every quarter. 2 lates every quarter.

4. ASC private - 3-4 different sites. 300/hr gross subtract benefits. Variable amount of work. 40h ish. No weekends. Of course fast paced with stuff. Bier blocks mentioned on the phone. Paper charting and various EMRs.

Last edited:

1. Hospital private for now - 360k for 4 days and per month 3/2 primary/backup call. 30 days off. Solo and supervision. Non call day out by 4.

2. Hospital - 360k for 4 days. OT 225/hr. 1 weekend day per month. 2 backups per month; off ? next day. 2 overnight 3p-7a per month. Mostly solo. Sign on? 8 weeks off.

3. Academic - 300k for 4 days. 4 OR til 5pm. 7 weeks off. Trauma 1 call twice every quarter. 2 lates every quarter.

4. ASC private - 3-4 different sites. 300/hr gross subtract benefits. Variable amount of work. 40h ish. No weekends. Of course fast paced with stuff. Bier blocks mentioned on the phone. Paper charting and various EMRs.

Probably 2 but i feel like you can do better

Probably 2 but i feel like you can do better
K. What do other city dwellers think? I know academic places pay like 325. The places that beat you down pay 500. Wouldn’t even enjoy your free time so why even be in a city?

Part time seems to be met with resistance at least socially. Wonder if locums lasts into 2026 in the area. Besides NCH and Lutheran, I appreciate any good leads. Can PM me
NCH seems to be aiming for 1:3 staffing model. They’re doing an SRNA program so I think they will figure out their staffing by utilizing non MDs.

The satellite places are really bad. My friend decided to locum and was overwhelmed by incompetence after 1 week. CRNAs do whatever. The Northstar/NAPA person disappears at 3
When multiple people recommend steering clear of the main campus, none of their satellites will be any better. Truly an example of an awful culture that has caught up with itself

Money wise, $300/hr x 40hrs/wk x 42weeks is just over $500k with no call and 10 weeks off. Is it solo?

How long are the days in the hospital jobs? You could be working 40hrs/wk over 4 days in those jobs too.

When multiple people recommend steering clear of the main campus, none of their satellites will be any better. Truly an example of an awful culture that has caught up with itself
Yeah. Rush = bad overall.

Northwestern in the suburbs? CRNAs everywhere?

Northwest community hospital, and yeah 3:1 staffing is the end game I believe. Which is better than Alexian, allegedly 6-7:1 sometimes.

And some new info. They plan to drop rates over next couple months per a locum overhearing the in charges.
Talked to a locum. This is true about Rush satellite sites. The ratio is at least 1:4 next month. I would avoid listening to recruiters and not waste time credentialing.

Any idea on Encore Anesthesia at MacNeal, Gottlieb?? Are they running all the Loyola sites? Is it busy with a lot of call?

Chicago needs a good raking over the coals for these groups and hospitals to come to their senses. For a HCOL area (with bad weather not to mention), the wages are quite terrible and the hours are even worse. Need a player like Tufts in Boston to take advantage and fix salaries across the board.

Reactions: 2 users
Chicago needs a good raking over the coals for these groups and hospitals to come to their senses. For a HCOL area (with bad weather not to mention), the wages are quite terrible and the hours are even worse. Need a player like Tufts in Boston to take advantage and fix salaries across the board.
I’ll counter that. I’m in the Chicago area and I believe my job is fairly compensated, hours are reasonable, good variety of cases and great colleagues. But different ppl have different ideas of what those are and what is important in a position.

Well for 600k, you will do more than 60h. It’s a desirable area so pay isn’t going to be boonies level.

I only ever interviewed with academics in Chicago but most offers were in 350-400k range for four weeks vacation and little academic time. NW was a little better on time off but majority weren’t working less than private practice.

I only ever interviewed with academics in Chicago but most offers were in 350-400k range for four weeks vacation and little academic time. NW was a little better on time off but majority weren’t working less than private practice.
4 weeks on low end. I think they all do 7-8 weeks now or more

I’ll counter that. I’m in the Chicago area and I believe my job is fairly compensated, hours are reasonable, good variety of cases and great colleagues. But different ppl have different ideas of what those are and what is important in a position.
Comp for how many hours worked in a week? How much of it is OT? How much vacation time?

Money wise, $300/hr x 40hrs/wk x 42weeks is just over $500k with no call and 10 weeks off. Is it solo?

How long are the days in the hospital jobs? You could be working 40hrs/wk over 4 days in those jobs too.
The 300 was gross so like 1099. Not fair comparison to W2. After tax isn’t that closer to 200/hr W2?

170-200/hr W2 seems to be going rate. I’m sure some groups who still are around in Chicago around 230/hr BUT don’t include backup call which is free in production models.

The best gross I heard was 325/hr gross from an ortho ASC. 5 days a week. 6-630am starts. Discharge at 530pm. So 55hr avg

The 300 was gross so like 1099. Not fair comparison to W2. After tax isn’t that closer to 200/hr W2?

170-200/hr W2 seems to be going rate. I’m sure some groups who still are around in Chicago around 230/hr BUT don’t include backup call which is free in production models.

The best gross I heard was 325/hr gross from an ortho ASC. 5 days a week. 6-630am starts. Discharge at 530pm. So 55hr avg

300 at 1099 isn't anything like 200 at w2.

What are u talking about???

I think it would be easy to rack up in excess of 100k/yr in W2 benefits:

Payroll tax
Prof liability insurance
Medical insurance
Disability insurance
Payroll tax
401k/403b match
Decreased overhead of W2 accounting
CME/licensing/etc funds
PTO

Figuring in taxes and benefits. Being conservative. Maybe then 250/hr W2

250/hr vs 300/hr basically means $500 / day. I don't think your benefits are worth that much.

Payroll taxes are a few % and there are ways to reduce it through S corp taxation. Retirement matching in most places is 3% to 6% which might equate to about 28k a year. Health insurance is about 2500$ a month for a family which means about 30k a year. CME or education allowance maybe 5k if generous. Even under the most favorable circumstances, this benefits package wouldn't be much above 50 to 60k

I think it would be easy to rack up in excess of 100k/yr in W2 benefits:

Payroll tax
Prof liability insurance
Medical insurance
Disability insurance
Payroll tax
401k/403b match
Decreased overhead of W2 accounting
CME/licensing/etc funds
PTO

There are different 1099. Pure eat what you kill, sure you are going to pay everything. Locum 1099, licensing and malpractice are paid. You probably get mileage reimbursement too.

Employer portion of payroll tax, while annoying, is not a big percentage.

Some significant tax benefit of 1099: 20% qbi deduction, 200k dbp pretax if you are close to 50s, PTE federal tax deduction.