12-15 credits a semester bad? (question for a friend)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supraman

Boston Celtics
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has like 12, 15, 3summer, 10, 14, 6 summer, and doesnt knw if its bad to have "low credits in semesters." I told him to just keep his grades up and junior year, to have like 16/17 credits. Am I right? Or is it shunned upon..

Members don't see this ad.

i think its shunned upon kinda. but honestly if you have a good gpa and good dats nothing matters really as far as im concerned.

I dont think its a big deal either. I took a relatively light credit load for most of college and it was never an issue during the application process. I think it also depends on what classes were taken. Although my credit numbers were low, there were usually a few bio labs in there that were 7-8 hours a week, but only worth 2 credits. Heres the rundown for me: 15, 16, 5summer, 14, 14, 16, 14, 5summer, 14, 14 = 127

Members don't see this ad :)
No not at all. I have taken about 12 credits (10-14) each semester and have taken a total of 17 summer credits (8+9) to compliment my lower yearly credits and I am sure it will not affect my entering school. I know that taking a lighter load during the year looks bad for medical schools but not at all for most dental (depending on where you apply). I know that if I take a few less each semester I can focus more on the classes and therefore get better grades. best luck

i only took 12 credits/semester the last 2 years of my 5-year college tour. no big deal :sleep:

i took 12,11 in year1. 8,8 year2. 9,12 year3. and in year4 i will take 16,16.
i took spring and summer courses every year to catch up. will this hurt my chances?

I think that just so long as there is at least one semester during which you can show that you can handle a larger, more serious load, you should be ok.