Would having a single class in my last grad semester be bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rvting

Reaction score
It feels as if I'm running against the clock in this situation.
I'm trying to raise my AADSAS sGPA to a 3.0. If I get A- in two classes for my fall, which I don't think will be difficult, my sGPA will rise to just under a 2.99.
Thus is the reason why I want to take a single class in the summer. There are only two other classes available in the summer but they are more ecology focused.
So, 1 class in summer, 2 in Fall, but I'll only need one more class for winter to graduate with a degree.
If I take the summer class I can easily assure I'll get a 3.0 after fall.
But I don't want to be looked down for only taking 1 class in the winter.

What would your recommendation be?

edit: additionally, after the 23-24 cycle some of my core classes will pass the 5 year mark of departure. Thus I want to make this my last cycle attempt.

Members don't see this ad.

What's your DAT Score?

There seem to be a lot of moving parts, why can't you just take the classes you need in the summer and fall? Or does your school do trimesters or quarters? Or are you doing graduate research? A little more insight into the whole situation would be great! I don't think taking only 1 class last term would be bad if you are keeping your schedule busy with other things too. I took less credits but filled my other time with EC's and lots of research to keep myself busy and not look like I was slacking for schools.

I have some concerns, if it's a graduate degree, a 3.0 does not look great for you and you needed to aim for a 3.5+ to show reinvention and that you can handle the dental school curriculum.

And even with all of this, we don't know what you have been doing to build your app; LORs, ECs, research? There's a lot more to the process than just your GPA, which is still low. Have you filled out a WAMCs?

-- I haven't had a chance to go back and read your other posts, so if you have posted a WAMCs or have other threads with your ECs or volunteer work I apologize.

I have a 20 on DAT. A 3.0 is for my cumulative science GPA, not graduate alone. My graduate science GPA is 3.68, two A-, 1 A, 1 B+.
The summer doesn't have a lot of courses, the fall has a bit more but not too many with most being ecology related, and the winter does have the one class I really want 'Head and Neck anatomy'. I'm on the fence for research.
LORs are good edit
EC- 100+ shadowing, ~150 DA volunteering, Leadership class, worked 1000+ hours at a golf course, attended a pre-dental club before covid killed it.

I'm not looking just for a WAMC I'm looking to see if its bad to take a single graduate course in winter.

If you're curious, after this winter semester my oGPA will be 3.16. Sharp upward trend. Last quarter (2.5 years) of credits are 3.44 and 3.42 for oGPA (51 creds) and sGPA (44 creds)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 20 on DAT. A 3.0 is for my cumulative science GPA, not graduate alone. My graduate science GPA is 3.68, two A-, 1 A, 1 B+.
The summer doesn't have a lot of courses, the fall has a bit more but not too many with most being ecology related, and the winter does have the one class I really want 'Head and Neck anatomy'. I'm on the fence for research.
LORs is
EC- 100+ shadowing, ~150 DA volunteering, Leadership class, worked 1000+ hours at a golf course, attended a pre-dental club before covid killed it.

I'm not looking just for a WAMC I'm looking to see if its bad to take a single graduate course in winter.

If you're curious, after this winter semester my oGPA will be 3.16. Sharp upward trend. Last quarter (2.5 years) of credits are 3.44 and 3.42 for oGPA (51 creds) and sGPA (44 creds)
Gotcha, thank you for the clarification

I don’t think it would be a problem to take the 1 course as long as you just keep staying busy. I think you should be okay. Hopefully others give their opinions too. Congrats on the hard work and perseverance!

Reactions: 1 user