>12 weeks for OHSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey - Did anyone else receive a postcard saying your file is complete over 12 weeks ago? I know the postcard says the decision takes up to 12 weeks - my 12th week ends tomorrow. I called the office and all you get is a recording stating that they "appreciate the anxiety associated with the application process but inquiries only delay the process further." But I'm worried that they have tried to contact me but maybe there was a problem? Actually, I'm really just pissed off that it takes them 12 weeks to take any kind of action. I mean - that's 3 months. What the heck are they doing for 3 months that they can't decide what to do with me? I'll probably get my rejection letter tomorrow just for the bad kharma I'm incurring right now. (end vent)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have an answer for you but have had a tough time with OHSU also. I sent my secondary and letters in early October and it seemed like everything was good to go. I had not heard anything for 4+ months so I finally called them and after several tries got through and they told me my file was incomplete that the letters were missing! So the secretary from my school was nice enough to deal with them and get everything re-sent last week. Then they told me to wait up to 12 weeks for review. I've pretty much given up on them at this point because it is so late in the cycle. The whole thing sux. I dunno what to tell you... if you can get them on the phone they are fairly mellow, just disorganized. Good luck.

:(

wow the post card said that?

hmm i gotta see what it says now....i swear its been longer than the 12 weeks....

lemme see....*walks to folder*

well brick...the date on my postcard was 10/6/03

which would make it about 18-19 weeks.

and since they interview through march as it says on this card...im thinking im plum out of luck.

there goes another school i can cross off the list.

Members don't see this ad :)
glad I'm not the only one that had problems with them. They have had my application from almost 6 months before they rejected via-email last week. the thing that REALLY pissed me off is that they had the gaul to tell me I was not "academically competitive". Reasons I'm ticked: 1) it took them 6 months to come to this conclusion 2) they made me pay for a secondary when they probably already knew they were going to reject me 3) okay, maybe in their opinion I'm not qualified, but really some things are better left unsaid!

-Jefferson Medical College 2008 (hmmm, apparently somebody thought I was academically qualified)

If you need to get to a real person (or at least their voicemail):

Kathleen Warhank
Office of Admissions
Oregon Health & Science University
School of Medicine
phone: (503) 494-9904
email: [email protected]

She does answer the phone sometimes, but email replies have been nonexistent for me (on 2 tries).

I am an OR resident, and my file was complete on 1/28. My postcard had the "12 week" crossed out and "6 weeks" was written instead. When I called last week, she told me that my file should be done in the review process by Friday (either interview or reject) and that something would be mailed either way this week.

Oh, and they are rolling but will interview through April (especially since a week of nasty weather in Portland brought everything to a screeching halt in the start of January, slowing an already notably slow office of admissions).

I hope that helps :)

Treg

hmm OR residents get 6 week decisions

and out of state get 12 week ones...(well 12+)

I called admissions today too, and the person on the phone was able to tell my status-- whether "preference for interview"= will be interviewed, or "low-preference for interview" = will most likely NOT be interviewed!

there were 8 weeks between the postcard & the interview invitation for me & i'm not an oregon resident (MD/MPH).

i hope you hear good news from them soon.

peace out

(btw--congrats on davis, jlee!! very nice)

Here are some more phone numbers of admissions staff if you are having trouble contacting them.

Vicki Fields 503-494-4329
Debra Melton 503-494-6643
Cindy Morris 503-494-3262

I interviewed at OHSU last year and am quite familiar with the process. Don't be to worried. OHSU tends to wait until the magic "fifteenth days". March 15th, when all medical schools are required to offer acceptances for the entire class, and OHSU does just that. Then May 15th when medical schools can drop you from their program if you hold multiple acceptances. They tend to shy away from applicants with current acceptances at other schools. On that May 15th date they make their rank list. The accept approxiamtely 104 in each class, and an average to largre waitlist would be around 80. So if you are in the top 180 you have a good chance. That being said, they interview about 400, and if you don't interview, you have no chance at all, sorry. Good luck to all!