12 y.o. 2.87 GPA - no sciences yet - back in fall - reasonable chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carl414

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the "What's my chances" Forum, but clearly being a NON traditional student now, I thought I would see who here has had a similar experience:

I've now decided, after 12 years away from school, that I want to be a doctor when I grow up.

Last time I went to college it was C. College and I was majoring in law enforcement. Almost all my classes were specific to a certification process. Only 3-4 classes will actually count towards my current major (like english 101). But, I still show a GPA of 2.87 from 47 transferrable units. Will it be nearly impossible to bring up to 3.6 or higher needed to be considered for medical school? (I'll still have to take 3+ years full time classes for my major requirements).

If I now take all my science classes as part of a degree program, and just for arguments sake say I get 3.8's, what would my general GPA come to, and would my SGPA be a 3.8 since I have no previous science classes?

If it works out that I end up with a 3.2 - 3.5 general GPA - but my Science GPA is 3.8 or better (and my MCAT is reasonable) would I get the chance to explain, or would they notice the discrepancy between my current grades, and my grades from 12 years ago and consider me a quality applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Carl,

I do think you have a chance. While you will need to submit those grades when you apply, but you are starting with a blank slate with the sciences which is good. Also, if you decide to apply to Osteopathic schools, you can retake some of those lower grades and raise them and your GPA. DO schools are also more non-trad friendly, understanding that how you were when you first got out of school is not how you are today.

There is not much you can do about your past grades, just focus on today outward. Before you know it, 3 years or so will pass and you'll be posting that you've been accepting into med school.

:luck::luck:

Hi Carl,

I'm in a similar situation in that I am a non-trad and my undergrad GPA (3.1) is now 12 yrs old. However you are in a better place cause you have a chance to really establish a strong "current" science GPA, as Krisss pointed out.

I have called around to various Med Schools and specifically asked them the question about how my weak 12 yr old GPA will affect me. The responses ranged from very negative to quite hopeful. Some MD schools do not allow re-takes of pre-reqs, some do especially since in our case they are 12 yrs old. Either way, I suggest you call the schools you are interested in and ask how you can plan your next three years (academically & in regards to clinical/research/volunteer work) to make yourself as competitive a candidate as you can.

In regards to your GPA calculation here is the website that I have been using to keep track of my current GPA as I take classes. Its basically plug and chug, self-explanatory interface.

http://www.back2college.com/raisegpa.htm

Keep in mind that you need your GPA and the total number of units taken. Also of note is that on the AMCAS application your GPA is broken down into science GPA (BCPM) and overall GPA. So you can use this website to calculate both GPAs.

Hope this helps, good luck in the process!

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately for us old folk schools in general have a first academic screen based on GPA and MCAT scores, the trick will be getting the overall GPA (and MCAT) high enough for a school to really take a look at your overall package. I graduated undergrad in the 90s as well; seems questionable to weight something that many years ago the same as if it were last year.

I'd suspect at some point, schools will more actively consider recent courses more indicative than older classes; some schools say they do, but it's often one of those "all else being equal, higher recent gpa is better". I wholeheartedly agree about calling each school to see how they consider this, given the differences between which schools more heavily weight which areas of an application.

On the plus side, I've found many/most schools consider MCATs more heavily than GPAs; that + really good current GPA will help a lot!

You are fortunate that your low GPA is from non-science courses. If you can get a high BCPM you should be in a good place. I had a 3.03 undergrad GPA (and an even crappier 2.93 undergrad BCPM) that was 8 years old. Prove yourself with recent work like I did (master's degree GPA of 3.87) by doing well on your pre-reqs. How you scored in organic and physics this year will be more important to med schools than how you did in a law enforcement course 12 years ago. Also, do well on the MCAT and I think you'll have a good shot at getting in somewhere. I was accepted to 1 allo and many osteo schools my first round.