120 CCS Cases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tf70

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting the Crush CCS book which goes over 120 CCS cases. Has anyone had any experience with it?

http://www.us.elsevierhealth.com/Medicine/Review-USMLE/book/9781455723744/Crush-Step-3-CCS/

When it comes to CCS, I believe that your comfort with using the actual software is key for success (assuming you have the medical knowledge). I would just go with UWorld CCS which will give you the necessary experience (~50 mock cases) plus an additional 40 or so cases to read through. Having said that, getting the book won't hurt if you have the time to read it and want to spend an extra money. But I would not use the BOOK as your sole reference. You'll need to practice with the software. Maybe someone else can answer your question if this particular CCS book is helpful.

When it comes to CCS, I believe that your comfort with using the actual software is key for success (assuming you have the medical knowledge). I would just go with UWorld CCS which will give you the necessary experience (~50 mock cases) plus an additional 40 or so cases to read through. Having said that, getting the book won't hurt if you have the time to read it and want to spend an extra money. But I would not use the BOOK as your sole reference. You'll need to practice with the software. Maybe someone else can answer your question if this particular CCS book is helpful.

Id say that book is a complete waste of time. Agree completely, have to practice, usmleconsult has excellent cases to practice, although not the actual software as the real test

I am thinking of getting the Crush CCS book which goes over 120 CCS cases. Has anyone had any experience with it?

http://www.us.elsevierhealth.com/Medicine/Review-USMLE/book/9781455723744/Crush-Step-3-CCS/

I have been using this book for a couple of weeks now and I find it very useful. I have practiced nearly all of the cases in the real software and feel like I have a good understanding of the software now. I agree with your comments about needing to practice in the real software, which this book also stresses. My exam is next week :scared: and I'm already tired of studying for it. A little more focus on the the other areas of the exam and hopefully it will go ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been using this book for a couple of weeks now and I find it very useful. I have practiced nearly all of the cases in the real software and feel like I have a good understanding of the software now. I agree with your comments about needing to practice in the real software, which this book also stresses. My exam is next week :scared: and I'm already tired of studying for it. A little more focus on the the other areas of the exam and hopefully it will go ok.

It'll go great, the CCS portion is a huge part of the exam now, and in my opinion that is a huge advantage, hence the all time highest pass rates in the history of the test lately. That is what I was going to suggest, practicing the CCS software with the book, I am happy that it suggested that, it should be perfect. If you have time you should check out usmleconsult.com that site has great practice as well, however the software is quite different than the real test, but it is a great place to practice. Don't do it at the last second start it tonight or tomorrow if you do end up using it. You might get too shocked before the test.

Yes, this book is great! I have had it since the first day it came out and I love it. I have used UW software and everything related to CCS. I don't agree with some of the other posters when they say that this book will be a waste of time and to focus on the software and to get practice that way. First off, UW CCS is not a good way to practice the software, the actual usmle website software is the best way to do that. The only thing you get with UW CCS are Cases with the appropriate work up. You don't get feedback in UW CCS that tells you how you are doing and if you are answering correctly. You just mess around with the software and then you compare how you did, by memorization, to the answer sheets UW CCS gives you. Now if UW CCS could assess how you performed after going through a case and grading you then giving you the tables and sheets that explains the work up then UW CCS might be the only source you need. Once you have done one or two cases and practiced with the UW CCS software, you have flattened the learning curve because as long as you know how to use the software it is all about knowing the work up. And to be honest you can practice that as much as you want from the software on the usmle website which is even more accurate to the real software than UW CCS. This Crush book is great! It explains 6 domains of CCS and how to maximize your score in all 6 domains and then it breaks each case down by explaining the must answer and must do decisions and then explains the choices that might not improve your score at all if very little.

I think its best to do UW CCS and have a good book or two like the Crush CCS book, don't just do UW CCS, IMO, as I think the cases there are the exact same for the last 3 years.