--

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucillus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The key is understanding why your score was lower than you would have liked. If you merely resend the letters that resulted in a 3 out of 5 rating, you will likely be achieving the same result as sending the committee letter. Did you ask all of the people who you asked for a recommendation if they would be comfortable sending an excellent recommendation?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 3/5 (recommended) rating from my University.

I've heard that this isn't usually seen in a positive light from fellow students, but I'd like some more input on the matter, especially from any adcom members out there. :)

We are given the option to send or not send our committee letter. The big question I have in mind is will a 3/5 or recommended rating be seen as a question mark in any manner?
This isn't good

Without sounding condescending, what do you mean specifically by "isn't good" with regards to how an adcom may view it?
You have to realize that gaining admission to medical school in the US is extremely competitive--more than half of the applicants come up empty. Thus, it is important to put your best foot forward at every opportunity. If your committee letter comes with a "meh" rating, that could be a material hindrance. If at all possible, I would seek out people to recommend you who you are confident will give you high marks. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
*They don't use a numeric ranking anymore. Just a rating where you're either not recommended, recommended with reservations, recommended, highly recommended, or highest recommendation, with me getting recommended* Just a clarification to be made.
"Recommended" is still damning with faint praise in this schema, I'm sorry to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
"Recommended" is still damning with faint praise in this schema, I'm sorry to say.

So seems like everybody is pointing towards the idea of not sending the committee letter/review.

Looks like option 2 it is!

So seems like everybody is pointing towards the idea of not sending the committee letter/review.

Looks like option 2 it is!

I don't think that's exactly what people are saying. The issue isn't necessarily that your committee gave you a recommend. It's that all the admissions committee members who read your application are going to give you the same rating (in their minds) if given the same information that your committee had. Sounds like your GPA held you back in the committee process, and may hold you back in gaining admissions to medical school.

I don't think that's exactly what people are saying. The issue isn't necessarily that your committee gave you a recommend. It's that all the admissions committee members who read your application are going to give you the same rating (in their minds) if given the same information that your committee had. Sounds like your GPA held you back in the committee process, and may hold you back in gaining admissions to medical school.

--

Last edited: