This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most people would recommend choosing based off location because in this case, the difference in location far outweighs any other difference these two programs have. Both programs will offer great clinical volume/acuity, mentorship, etc. that will prepare you for whatever kind of career you would like to have.

Do you live in a rural area now? Have you lived in a big city before? Someone from the boonies and wanting to practice in the boonies might have a difficult adjustment/outright hate NYC.

Reactions: 1 user
Pick whichever is closer to where you want to end up. There is an awful lot of rural near Rochester, MN.

Both will train you well for practice in any environment.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most people would recommend choosing based off location because in this case, the difference in location far outweighs any other difference these two programs have. Both programs will offer great clinical volume/acuity, mentorship, etc. that will prepare you for whatever kind of career you would like to have.

Do you live in a rural area now? Have you lived in a big city before? Someone from the boonies and wanting to practice in the boonies might have a difficult adjustment/outright hate NYC.
I’m from an area about half the size of Rochester, MN, and I go to medical school in a city with a population between 500k-million, and I’m fine with either size of city.

I stayed in NYC for 10 days while interviewing there and it seemed cool, but I’m concerned I would get tired of it after a while.

So it sounds like the clinical training will be equivalent and I should choose based off either location or personality fit?

I’m from an area about half the size of Rochester, MN, and I go to medical school in a city with a population between 500k-million, and I’m fine with either size of city.

I stayed in NYC for 10 days while interviewing there and it seemed cool, but I’m concerned I would get tired of it after a while.

So it sounds like the clinical training will be equivalent and I should choose based off either location or personality fit?

1. Location- I can’t think of a more different comparison here

2. Weather.

3. Family. Friends.

4. Connections or location for practice after residency

5. Cost of living- NYC is expensive especially vs Rochester

6. Fit- these programs attract different people. Where do you fit best ?

Reactions: 4 users

Spending a few years in NYC while young is a rare opportunity that many would consider a worthwhile life experience. Of course if you find a wife or husband while in NY, getting them to move to a small town with no family will be a challenge to do and a stressor for your marriage should you succeed in convincing them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Both are the same. Choose based on location. A CABG in NYC in the same as a CABG in rural Nebraska. A labor epidural in a rural hospital is the same as a labor epidural in a chic metro. The work doesn't change. Would you rather be in NYC or in Minnesota :meh:? That's a personal decision.

"Have skills ... willing to travel"

Last edited:
Would it be too obvious to point out that you asked about rural practice, and you’re choosing between what is probably the most rural high-quality program in the country and what is almost certainly the LEAST rural program in the country? Go to mayo.

Reactions: 3 users
The point about meeting a spouse and living in NYC are great points. However, if you honestly desire a rural practice I have to think Mayo is as good as you can possibly do with regards to training.

Spending a few years in NYC while young is a rare opportunity that many would consider a worthwhile life experience. Of course if you find a wife or husband while in NY, getting them to move to a small town with no family will be a challenge to do and a stressor for your marriage should you succeed in convincing them.

Living in NYC for a year as a young person sounds fun. Less fun for 4 years and less fun as a resident though. Just my personal preference though! I could see others loving it.

Living in NYC for a year as a young person sounds fun. Less fun for 4 years and less fun as a resident though. Just my personal preference though! I could see others loving it.

Good news: Columbia pays the most out of all NYC residencies; bad news, you're still barely scrapping by.

I thought I would really enjoy NYC. When I got here I realized people are dinguses and everything is expensive. And it's always cold. Still don't understand why people pay so much to live here.

Reactions: 1 users
Good news: Columbia pays the most out of all NYC residencies; bad news, you're still barely scrapping by.

I thought I would really enjoy NYC. When I got here I realized people are dinguses and everything is expensive. And it's always cold. Still don't understand why people pay so much to live here.

It would probably be more fun if you had more $ more time than a typical resident

• Haha

One of the extraordinary things about life is the sort of places it's prepared to put up with living. Anywhere it can get some kind of a grip, whether it's the intoxicating seas of Santraginus V, where the fish never seem to care whatever the heck kind of direction they swim in, the fire storms of Frastra where, they say, life begins at 40,000 degrees, or just burrowing around in the lower intestine of a rat for the sheer unadulterated hell of it, life will always find a way of hanging on in somewhere.

It will even live in New York, though it's hard to know why. In the winter time the temperature falls well below the legal minimum, or rather it would do if anybody had the common sense to set a legal minimum. The last time anybody made a list of the top hundred character attributes of New Yorkers, common sense snuck in at number 79.

In the summer it's too darn hot. It's one thing to be the sort of life form that thrives on heat and finds, as the Frastrans do, that the temperature range between 40,000 and 40,004 is very equable, but it's quite another to be the sort of animal that has to wrap itself up in lots of other animals at one point in your planet's orbit, and then find, half an orbit later, that your skin's bubbling.

Spring is over-rated. A lot of the inhabitants of New York will honk on mightily about the pleasures of spring, but if they actually knew the first thing about the pleasures of spring they would know of at least five thousand nine hundred and eighty- three better places to spend it than New York, and that's just on the same latitude.

Fall, though, is the worst. Few things are worse than fall in New York. Some of the things that live in the lower intestines of rats would disagree, but most of the things that live in the lower intestines of rats are highly disagreeable anyway, so their opinion can and should be discounted. When it's fall in New York, the air smells as if someone's been frying goats in it, and if you are keen to breathe, the best plan is to open a window and stick your head in a building.

• Haha