University of Minnesota Class of 2025 Interview/Acceptance Thread

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck everyone!

Link to last years thread: ***The Official University of Minnesota Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Link to interview prep: University of Minnesota School of Dentistry Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted my application and paid the application fee on june 16th. I still hadn't heard anything if it got verified. My ADEA application status is still listed as “none”. Anyone on the same page?

I submitted my application and paid the application fee on june 16th. I still hadn't heard anything if it got verified. My ADEA application status is still listed as “none”. Anyone on the same page?
I submitted everything on June 20th and received the confirmation email a couple days ago. You should receive yours soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted everything on June 20th and received the confirmation email a couple days ago. You should receive yours soon!
You’re right! I just received the confirmation email today.

Hello, upperclassman is here! Let me know if you need clarification or have concerns. Will try to respond best to my knowledge.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone else not heard back yet? I submitted 7/05 and was verified on 7/10. I know it's still early, but I took my DAT yesterday and would like to update the schools who are willing to accept unofficial score reports. Should I hold off on sending them an email with a copy of my unofficial until they contact me?

Got invited for an interview today, OOS applicant! I also received no notifications from Minnesota until this point and I applied 6/16 and sent in my supplemental fee ASAP.

Reactions: 2 users
Got invited for an interview today, OOS applicant! I also received no notifications from Minnesota until this point and I applied 6/16 and sent in my supplemental fee ASAP.
Congratulations!! Do you mind sharing your stats?

I confirmed my interview with Minnesota two days ago but haven’t heard back! Did you guys heard back from them after confirming your interview? Please let me know!!

My application status recently changed from "Received/Application Complete" to "Received/Under Review". Can anyone tell me how long the application typically stays under review until a decision about interviews is made? Thanks in advance :)

My application status recently changed from "Received/Application Complete" to "Received/Under Review". Can anyone tell me how long the application typically stays under review until a decision about interviews is made? Thanks in advance :)

If you ask me, it depends on the applicant. Some with not so good application can have that status before they are being rejected (sometime between Dec - Feb). Some with great application and fit to school will be asked to come to the interview as soon as less than a month from that status. An average applicant can wait months before being invited for the interview (others rejected between Dec-Feb). For example, myself - an average/below average applicant, under review status late June, and being invited for a late October interview in early October. Also, OOS vs IS doesn't seem to differ in this school like in other schools where they mostly invite OOS first and IS later in the cycle.
So, in short, the more well rounded your application is and the better you match the school's values/culture the quicker you will be asked for an interview. 2 weeks probably is a record. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing next week on 9/03. Any tips?

If you ask me, use the STAR technique. Situation (what occurred), Task (what you needed to accomplish), Action (what steps you took), Result (the outcome).
Look energized, show excitement, and smile/laugh throughout the day! You got this far, be happy with this special moment in your life!
A great candidate I wound describe as friendly, professional, knowledgeable, asked good questions, and seemed genuinely interested in the school.

anyone know if interviews are opened/closed file?

It is a closed filed interview (only the name is given to interviewers) and 2vs1 format. It is a structured interview, which means interviewers ask the same questions for each candidate. Last around 30-60 minutes (length does not equal quality). In short, both interviewers are completely blind, meaning they grade/take notes during an interview and then hand in those notes to the admission committee.

Side note: I feel like I am the only one replying in the thread, if you want me to be silent and let others reply to the questions, please let me know.

Reactions: 4 users
It is a closed filed interview (only the name is given to interviewers) and 2vs1 format. It is a structured interview, which means interviewers ask the same questions for each candidate. Last around 30-60 minutes (length does not equal quality). In short, both interviewers are completely blind, meaning they grade/take notes during an interview and then hand in those notes to the admission committee.

Side note: I feel like I am the only one replying in the thread, if you want me to be silent and let others reply to the questions, please let me know.
not at all thank you for sharing info with us!

is there any group chats for Minnesota interview preparation? any tips or suggestions?

Anyone who had their interview recently can provide some feedback please? I have mine this Wednesday!

Interview was pretty chill, actually. It was over Zoom, so when you log on you'll be brought to a room with everyone else that's interviewing (I was one of 7 people in my "room"). From there they give you an overview of how the day will look and then you breakout into a 1 on 1 interview with a faculty member. We chatted for a couple minutes before my interviewer started recording the session. I was asked 8 fairly standard interview questions. Then we ended the recording and chatted for another 2ish minutes before I left the room and rejoined the original group. The whole interview part (the 8 recorded questions) took me about 20 minutes. After that, there is a virtual school tour, research overview, student panel, and financial aid overview.

Reactions: 5 users
Interview was pretty chill, actually. It was over Zoom, so when you log on you'll be brought to a room with everyone else that's interviewing (I was one of 7 people in my "room"). From there they give you an overview of how the day will look and then you breakout into a 1 on 1 interview with a faculty member. We chatted for a couple minutes before my interviewer started recording the session. I was asked 8 fairly standard interview questions. Then we ended the recording and chatted for another 2ish minutes before I left the room and rejoined the original group. The whole interview part (the 8 recorded questions) took me about 20 minutes. After that, there is a virtual school tour, research overview, student panel, and financial aid overview.
Thank you so much for providing your detailed experience! Really appreciate it! Were the questions mostly “traditional” interview questions or behavioural?

Those who have completed their interview, were you able to schedule the prerequisite meeting? It stays at saving for me! Did you guys have the same problem?

Thank you so much for providing your detailed experience! Really appreciate it! Were the questions mostly “traditional” interview questions or behavioural?

Mix of both. I was asked "tell me about yourself" and "why do you want to attend the university of minn dental school", but there were also questions like "tell me about a time you had to do something independently and how did it work out". I practiced for the interview by going off of the list of questions on the sdn page for minnesota.

Just got my interview invite today! I'm so excited!! For people who have already interviewed, when you are asked, "tell me about yourself?" What do you talk about?

Just got my interview invite today! I'm so excited!! For people who have already interviewed, when you are asked, "tell me about yourself?" What do you talk about?

Congrats! When did your UMN Portal change from completed to under review? And when did you complete your supplementary?

Still waitingggggg lol really hoping for this school

Congrats! When did your UMN Portal change from completed to under review? And when did you complete your supplementary?

Once you submit your primary application through AADSAS you must go to the UMN Dental School website to pay the supplementary fee but it was. Your application won't be considered till after you pay the fee. I only completed this portion on September 5th.

Heres the link!

Once you submit your primary application through AADSAS you must go to the UMN Dental School website to pay the supplementary fee but it was. Your application won't be considered till after you pay the fee

Heres the link!

I paid the fee. I am wondering when did your status of the link you gave me change to under review? Mine was complete Aug 3rd but it is still not changed to under review

I paid the fee. I am wondering when did your status of the link you gave me change to under review? Mine was complete Aug 3rd but it is still not changed to under review
same but not all change

I basically just gave them my brief academic history and a couple sentences about personal interests, then tied it into why I want a career in dentistry. I wanted to keep it simple and not be one of those people that doesn't know when to stop talking lmao because I know it would happen if I got to rambling.

Interview #7
School: University of Minnesota
Notification date: 9/29/2020
Method of notification: Email
Residency: IL
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/16
Application complete date: June
GPA (overall, science): 3.78,3.90
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/19/27/22/none
Dates available OR your interview date: Oct 15
Method of Interview: Zoom

Do ND residents get instate tuition since they have reciprocity or do they choose a couple of students?

Interview #7
Notification date: 9/29/2020
Residency: IL
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/16
Application complete date: June
GPA (overall, science): 3.78,3.90
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/19/27/22/none
Dates available OR your interview date: Oct 15
Did your aadsas portal every change from received/application complete to under review?

Yeah, 90% sure it did
Okay! yea i'm really hoping for this school being a ND applicant and mine is still received/ application complete... Trying to look for every reason not to get too anxious lol

Do ND residents get instate tuition since they have reciprocity or do they choose a couple of students?
Don't quote me entirely because I would need to double check but there is no reciprocity.

Don't quote me entirely because I would need to double check but there is no reciprocity.
okay I know there is the wiche program and while checking that out I noticed there was a reciprocity application for ND/MN as well... That is what made me wonder if you have to be chosen for it or if its just a "formality"....Idk lol If what you said is true that ND residents are sol when it comes to paying dental tuition

did it take them a while to send you the information and respond when you confirmed the interview?

I completed my application and supplemental application on August 24th. In ADEA AADSAS it still says "none". Does this mean that still have not opened my application?

I completed my application and supplemental application on August 24th. In ADEA AADSAS it still says "none". Does this mean that still have not opened my application?
Mine says applicant received but not under review as it has for others.. crossing my fingers for each of us

I received an interview invitation today!!

Interview Info:
Notification date:10/12
Residency: PA
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/1
Application complete date: 8/15
GPA (overall, science): 3.6, 3.45
Interview date: 11/4

First interview invite!