University of Minnesota Class of 2025 Interview/Acceptance Thread

I completed my application and supplemental application on August 24th. In ADEA AADSAS it still says "none". Does this mean that still have not opened my application?
Mine has changed to under review.. not sure when it changed but it hadn’t by October 8th so it must have been within the last week or so.. how about you? i know it’s variable but does anyone have an idea about how long it’d take to get an interview after the switch?

Members don't see this ad.

Mine has changed to under review.. not sure when it changed but it hadn’t by October 8th so it must have been within the last week or so.. how about you? i know it’s variable but does anyone have an idea about how long it’d take to get an interview after the switch?
Mine took only a few days, but it could definitely be longer depending on the number of applications they are reviewing!

Reactions: 1 user
Some good news I discovered. After comparing the cost of attendance before and after pandemic, I realized the tuition will be increased minimally and in turn, will cost you a little less. For example, before there would have been a 3.8% increase in tuition from 2021-22 to 2022-23 academic years, whereas now for the same period it will be 2.6% (1.2% difference). This year they increased only by 2%. If you compare class of 2023 file, tuition for 2022-23 is 21,851.78 (in-state) and 40,481.78 (out-state) to class of 2024 file which is 20,871.25 and 38,664.96 for the same 2022-23 period! In short, minimal tuition increase with reduced student loan interest rates is pretty nice.

Attachments

• Class of 2023 Cost of Attendance.pdf
    517.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Class of 2024 Cost of Attendance.pdf
    199.4 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
do any current students recommend sending a letter of intent if you've already interviewed??

do any current students recommend sending a letter of intent if you've already interviewed??

Hi! I'm a current dental student at UMNSOD. I would suggest sending a letter of intent if you don't receive an acceptance on or shortly after decision day (Dec 15th this year, I think?). If you feel you have a strong resume and did well during your interview, I wouldn't say that you should send one prior to then. Others may disagree, but that's just my opinion. If you choose to send a letter of intent, make sure you state why you want to attend the U of MN. Our school values research and community service, do you? If so, highlight that! Learn about the work being done here, what does our school have that you find so attractive that other schools may not have? Consider these things prior to writing a letter of intent. Good luck!

Hi! I'm a current dental student at UMNSOD. I would suggest sending a letter of intent if you don't receive an acceptance on or shortly after decision day (Dec 15th this year, I think?). If you feel you have a strong resume and did well during your interview, I wouldn't say that you should send one prior to then. Others may disagree, but that's just my opinion. If you choose to send a letter of intent, make sure you state why you want to attend the U of MN. Our school values research and community service, do you? If so, highlight that! Learn about the work being done here, what does our school have that you find so attractive that other schools may not have? Consider these things prior to writing a letter of intent. Good luck!
what if we don’t get an interview? Any advice then lol I suppose it wouldn’t make much of a difference if sending a letter then

what if we don’t get an interview? Any advice then lol I suppose it wouldn’t make much of a difference if sending a letter then

If you haven't received an interview, it may be helpful to send a brief email emphasizing your interest in the University of Minnesota. I don't think it would be harmful, so long as it is clear and well written.

My interview coming up soon. Any advice?

Study the questions available on SDN. A lot of the questions will likely be situational, as in "tell me a time where you _______". Think about your positive experiences from your past that you want to define you. Consider times you've helped others in a significant way, on an individual basis and for your community. Try and think of difficult times and how you've reacted to them in a positive way. But importantly, relax. Try to think of the interview as a conversation; try and have a nice conversation with the people you encounter (interviewers, others involved). Good luck!

Study the questions available on SDN. A lot of the questions will likely be situational, as in "tell me a time where you _______". Think about your positive experiences from your past that you want to define you. Consider times you've helped others in a significant way, on an individual basis and for your community. Try and think of difficult times and how you've reacted to them in a positive way. But importantly, relax. Try to think of the interview as a conversation; try and have a nice conversation with the people you encounter (interviewers, others involved). Good luck!

Thank you!

Interview #8
School: University of Minnesota
Notification date: 11/16/20
Method of notification: Email
Residency: OOS
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/30/20
Application complete date: 9/12/2020
GPA (overall, science): 3.3/3.2
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21 AA/20 TS/22 PAT/24 RC/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 11/30
Method of Interview:
virtual

Reactions: 1 users
For those who have interviewed, what is the post interview check in meeting?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it ok to send a letter of intent to UMN School of Dentistry for them to have curious interest in interviewing me now?

Is it ok to send a letter of intent to UMN School of Dentistry for them to have curious interest in interviewing me now?
I was wondering as well but was going to wait until after December 15th

For this cycle when does Minnesota conclude interviews what month?

For this cycle when does Minnesota conclude interviews what month?
I emailed admissions and they told me they are interviewing until the end of February! And seeing as they traditionally give invites about two weeks before the interview, I would say they still have a decent amount of invites to give for Jan and Feb!

Has anyone gotten a post-December interview yet from them?

Starting to get nervous lol good luck everyone

Is it ok to send a letter of interest/intent to University of Minnesota SOD so that it can allow them to make a fast decision to interview me? Will it impact their interview decision? I mean the letter of interest/intent?

My status changed from Application Complete to Under Review 3ish weeks ago. Could this (hopefully) mean an interview invite may be coming soon? What have your experiences been?

I just received a post-december interview to UM SOD, but I also received an email application for pre-D1 summer research fellowship as well. I was wondering if research is required in the UM SOD curriculum & also if anyone who has participated in it could give any advice whether to join the pre-D1 research or not? I tried to do some research online about it, but I am not seeing anything. Any advice and help is greatly appreciated!

I just received a post-december interview to UM SOD, but I also received an email application for pre-D1 summer research fellowship as well. I was wondering if research is required in the UM SOD curriculum & also if anyone who has participated in it could give any advice whether to join the pre-D1 research or not? I tried to do some research online about it, but I am not seeing anything. Any advice and help is greatly appreciated!
Hi! Did your status on AADSAS change to under review? And what are your stats/when did you apply if you don’t mind me asking? Also when is your interview for?

Also, to answer your question about research, I attended UMN for undergrad so I know they’re really big on research but I know it’s not a requirement! I think the program is just a way to encourage more students to get into research at the school.

Have done it myself. I can tell you, if you are not interested at all no need to apply. It will not influence your application or chances. The way it works (my educated observation) when you apply for the research program and let's assume the decision has been made for your application. Assuming your application was accepted, then your research application is sent to the summer research director. He makes the decision which students to choose. And on that first day of acceptance, you receive two emails with offers for the DDS program and research. There are a total of 10 spots historically. After that, they will give spots remaining to the post-dec interviewers.
If you want more details, let me know.

Hi! Did your status on AADSAS change to under review? And what are your stats/when did you apply if you don’t mind me asking? Also when is your interview for?

Also, to answer your question about research, I attended UMN for undergrad so I know they’re really big on research but I know it’s not a requirement! I think the program is just a way to encourage more students to get into research at the school.
Hi, thank you, that's super helpful and great to know!

And I actually received an email yesterday (12/09) first and then saw afterwards it changed to "Invited for Interview". My interview is post-December, so it is in the 1st week of January and per the email, they state I will be interviewing for an open position not for an alternate. Also, I am really surprised they gave me an interview this fast as I submitted my application, very, very, very late (as in 2nd week of November).

As for my stats, I don't feel too comfortable sharing that publicly on here, but I just private messaged you them on here!

Last edited:
Have done it myself. I can tell you, if you are not interested at all no need to apply. It will not influence your application or chances. The way it works (my educated observation) when you apply for the research program and let's assume the decision has been made for your application. Assuming your application was accepted, then your research application is sent to the summer research director. He makes the decision which students to choose. And on that first day of acceptance, you receive two emails with offers for the DDS program and research. There are a total of 10 spots historically. After that, they will give spots remaining to the post-dec interviewers.
If you want more details, let me know.
Oh, that makes sense and thank you so much for the information & help!

Do acceptances come out via email or phone call? Does anyone know what time we should be expecting it?

Do acceptances come out via email or phone call? Does anyone know what time we should be expecting it?
For me, class of 2023, it was via email at 2:03 am!
Good luck!

Does anyone know if UMN updates the AADSAS portal before they send out the email?

I remember in the info session they said they won’t send emails until midnight PST. 2 more hours!

this is strange, from past years they usually send it out by this time :/

Accepted !!! via email 3:59 Eastern time

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else? I didn’t get any email so I guess I didn’t get accepted? :((

So only one person has received an acceptance here? My status is still invited for interview

I woke up randomly in the night but got an email at 2:59 am CDT for an acceptance (IS). Let’s goooooooooooooo!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users