Rutgers School of Dental Medicine Class of 2025 Interview/Acceptance Thread

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck everyone!

Link to last years thread: ***The Official Rutgers School of Dental Medicine Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Link to interview prep: Rutgers School of Dental Medicine Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard from them? Has your AADSAS status changed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard back to pay supplemental yet?

Did y'all mail in your supplemental fee?

If so, did you all receive an email "receipt?"

I received one but they have not deposited it yet and it has been difficult to get into contact with admissions.

Did y'all mail in your supplemental fee?

If so, did you all receive an email "receipt?"

I received one but they have not deposited it yet and it has been difficult to get into contact with admissions.

I mailed my supplemental fee and received the receipt as well. My check was also cleared when I checked.

Where did you include your AADSAS number on the check? In the email they say to include name and AADSAS number but I'm not too sure where to include it.

Where did you include your AADSAS number on the check? In the email they say to include name and AADSAS number but I'm not too sure where to include it.
I put my name and AADSAS number in the memo of the check.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! did anyone get confirmation that their check was received? I sent mine a few weeks ago and am curious.

Hi! did anyone get confirmation that their check was received? I sent mine a few weeks ago and am curious.

I got a confirmation this Monday (which was when they were scheduled to receive it)

Did you wait to send in your supplemental fee until you received word from Rutgers or did you just send it after you got your AADSAS app verified?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you wait to send in your supplemental fee until you received word from Rutgers or did you just send it after you got your AADSAS app verified?
I sent after I got an email from them but you would always ask if they’re ok with you sending it early

Did anyone get invited to interview yet?

Just got an in-person interview invite for Friday, September 11th at 8:00AM! I am an OOS student (from NY) and since I'm not on the travel advisory list, they're having an interview in person with me. It will be a 1 on 1 interview, but we will also have breakfast with current students and admissions staff, get a presentation from the financial aid office, and get a tour of the facilities.

Just got an in-person interview invite for Friday, September 11th at 8:00AM! I am an OOS student (from NY) and since I'm not on the travel advisory list, they're having an interview in person with me. It will be a 1 on 1 interview, but we will also have breakfast with current students and admissions staff, get a presentation from the financial aid office, and get a tour of the facilities.
Do you mind sharing your stats and when you applied?

Do you mind sharing your stats and when you applied?
I applied on June 16th, got an email from Rutgers confirming the receipt of my application on June 19th, and finally received an email saying that my supplemental fee was received on June 30th.

Here are my stats:
Overall GPA: 3.9
Science GPA: 3.87
DAT scores: PAT: 21 QR: 23 RC: 30 BIO: 21 GC: 30 OC: 24 TS: 24 AA: 26
And then I have 400+ hours of shadowing/dental experience and 150+ hours of volunteering!

Let me know if there’s anything else you’d like to know, and best of luck to everyone applying!! :)

Anyone knows if they accept international students or not? My stats are 3.88 gpa and 21 AA but haven’t heard back from them..

Anyone knows if they accept international students or not? My stats are 3.88 gpa and 21 AA but haven’t heard back from them..

According to the ADEA dental school explorer, out of the 96 international applicants, 2 were accepted. So they definitely accept international students, but it does seem like they accept very few.

Best of luck to you!

Interview #2
School: Rutgers
Notification date: 08/25/20
Method of notification: Email
Residency: NY
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/16
Application complete date: 07/6
GPA (science, overall): 3.75, 3.73
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/24/21/21/none
Dates available OR your interview date: September 11
Format: In-person/online (Depends on NJ COVID classification of high-risk states)

best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Interview #2
Notification date: 08/25/20
Residency: NY
Application complete date: 07/6
GPA (science, overall): 3.75, 3.73
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/24/21/21/none
Dates available OR your interview date: September 11
Format: In-person/online (Depends on NJ COVID classification of high-risk states)

best of luck everyone!
I know NJ updated the travel advisory yesterday, are you going to be attending in person, or did they decide to have you attend via zoom?

I was hoping someone could help provide some general info about Rutgers and the surrounding area. Where do most students live? Are there popular off campus living areas? Are there any restaurants and shopping near campus?

Last edited:
I was hoping someone could help provide some general info about Rutgers and the surrounding area. Where do most students live? Are there popular off campus living areas? Are there any restaurants and shopping near campus?

D4 here.

I'd say for D1, 50% of students live in 180 West Market Street (the dorms), 10% commute from apartments close by, and 40% commute from their family home. As an upperclassmen, more and more people move out of 180 into apartments. By senior year, it's about 50% commuting from apartments, 40% living with family, and 10% in 180.

Popular off-campus housing includes 24 Jones, Society Hill, apartments near NJIT, Harrison, and Jersey City.

Lunch Places: Cafeteria, 4 Seasons, Subway, Playa Bowls, Dunkin, Green Chickpea, etc. There are a million places by Rutgers Newark and NJIT. 4 Seasons is the one everyone goes to on foot. They also have food trucks at the hospital.

Dinner places: Again, there's a million places near NJIT and Rutgers Newark, plus Ironbound has amazing food. Just use Google Maps.

Shopping? Who has money for shopping?

Reactions: 2 users
D4 here.

I'd say for D1, 50% of students live in 180 West Market Street (the dorms), 10% commute from apartments close by, and 40% commute from their family home. As an upperclassmen, more and more people move out of 180 into apartments. By senior year, it's about 50% commuting from apartments, 40% living with family, and 10% in 180.

Popular off-campus housing includes 24 Jones, Society Hill, apartments near NJIT, Harrison, and Jersey City.

Lunch Places: Cafeteria, 4 Seasons, Subway, Playa Bowls, Dunkin, Green Chickpea, etc. There are a million places by Rutgers Newark and NJIT. 4 Seasons is the one everyone goes to on foot. They also have food trucks at the hospital.

Dinner places: Again, there's a million places near NJIT and Rutgers Newark, plus Ironbound has amazing food. Just use Google Maps.

Shopping? Who has money for shopping?

Thanks for your reply.

I have to ask, can you comment on crime/safety of the area surrounding the dental school and the off campus areas you mentioned?

Thanks for your reply.

I have to ask, can you comment on crime/safety of the area surrounding the dental school and the off campus areas you mentioned?

I live a couple blocks off campus. I’ve taken many walks in the middle of the night. So have my roommates. We’ve never had an issue, but that is just anecdotal. Keep in mind, I’m also a dude. During the day around campus, it’s no issue for anyone. At night, be street smart - keep your head up, don’t use ear buds, don’t wear jewelry, stick to busy streets, cross the street if you see a group ahead, keep your distance if someone is strung out. Normal city stuff that applies anywhere.

Do not go west of Bergen Street or south of South Orange Avenue and I don’t foresee any issues for you. All the places I mentioned where students live follow this rule.

Last edited:
Interview #2
Notification date: 09/23/20 3:00pm
Residency: NJ
Application complete date: Never got complete email from them
GPA (science, overall): 3.70, 3.79
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/21/25/21/none
Dates available OR your interview date: October 9
Format: In-person/online (Depends on NJ COVID classification of high-risk states): In-Person

I live a couple blocks off campus. I’ve taken many walks in the middle of the night. So have my roommates. We’ve never had an issue, but that is just anecdotal. Keep in mind, I’m also a dude. During the day around campus, it’s no issue for anyone. At night, be street smart - keep your head up, don’t use ear buds, don’t wear jewelry, stick to busy streets, cross the street if you see a group ahead, keep your distance if someone is strung out. Normal city stuff that applies anywhere.

Do not go west of Bergen Street or south of South Orange Avenue and I don’t foresee any issues for you. All the places I mentioned where students live follow this rule.

Thanks.

Interview #4
Notification date: 09/30/20
Residency: HI
Application complete date:
GPA (science, overall): 3.93, 3.96
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/21/25/21/none
Dates available OR your interview date: October 29
Format: virtual

Interview #2:
AA: 22, TS: 22
OGPA: 3.83, SGPA: 3.76
out-of-state resident (NY)
Submit AADSAS app in first week of it opening for submission
took DAT August 16th, got it verified Sept 4th
Received invite for interview on Oct 1st
Planning to interview virtually end of October

Does anyone know if Rutgers favors NY and other NJ surrounding states for OOS applicants?/did anyone get an interview from them that's not from a state close to NJ?

Does anyone know if Rutgers favors NY and other NJ surrounding states for OOS applicants?/did anyone get an interview from them that's not from a state close to NJ?
Yeah, I believe they heavily favor NJ residents.

About 80% of the enrolling class was from NJ.

Obviously students prefer to attend their state school but this number is on the higher end of IS%. I think only 15 or so schools had a higher rate of in state students.

Rutgers doesn’t favor In State students that much. They end up with so many kids from Jersey, because the Out Of Staters end up going to their own state schoolZ

I received an interview and I am from Minnesota!

Can anyone who has interviewed give any advice in preparation for the interview?

Can anyone who has interviewed give any advice in preparation for the interview?
The interview was very conversational, just the basic questions! It was a casual 25-30 minute interview. I have had 5 interviews and Rutgers by far was the most casual and laid back, they just want to get to know your personality so feel free to talk about things that are not present on your application (hobbies, things you enjoy, exemplify your strong personality traits). If you get an interview in general - you are lucky!

Reactions: 2 users
just had a virtual interview this morning at Rutgers, very conversational and they just want to get to know you better! hoping for an acceptance here :)

I received an interview invite from Rutgers on Oct. 21st (to interview in November) and was told to confirm for an interview by today (Oct 23rd). At first, I emailed requesting for a virtual interview, but then sent a follow-up confirming the in-person interview. Did any of you receive a response after you sent your email confirming the interview invite?
Thank you in advance