This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiring.dds

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
8 hours of studying everyday until July 31st? Seems to me that's excessive -- you don't want to burnout. But whatever floats your boat

Reactions: 1 user
IDK about IL but the state I live in and that dental school requires 100 hours. I would figure out how to get 150 total before you submit. With the science GPA being kind of low you really need a 22+ and those shadowing hours.

On the other hand if you apply to expensive private schools you could have less hours and a lower DAT.
Seriously though, work really hard to get more hours.

IDK about IL but the state I live in and that dental school requires 100 hours. I would figure out how to get 150 total before you submit. With the science GPA being kind of low you really need a 22+ and those shadowing hours.

On the other hand if you apply to expensive private schools you could have less hours and a lower DAT.
why do you say the OPs sGPA is "kinda low"?

why do you say the OPs sGPA is "kinda low"?
Because it is kind of low. Especially with the amount of shadowing hours. It isn’t to bad for a private school like I said- but for a competitive state school (cheaper) it is kind of low. This is always why I said 22+ DAT

Because it is kind of low. Especially with the amount of shadowing hours. It isn’t to bad for a private school like I said- but for a competitive state school (cheaper) it is kind of low. This is always why I said 22+ DAT
average matriculant GPA is 3.55

you didn't say it was low for a state school, you only said it was "kinda low"

Reactions: 1 users
average matriculant GPA is 3.55

you didn't say it was low for a state school, you only said it was "kinda low"
Sure but that is pretty much a given. Expensive private schools have lower sGPA than cheaper state school.

Average GPA is 3.55- science or total? Either way 3.49 sGPA is kind of low. Especially with the amount of shadowing hours. OP asked for Dat score. I think with his GPA (science is kind of low) he needs a 22+. On top of that, some school will require 100 shadowing hours. So even if he gets 100 I think he needs more. If he can get the 22 then it should make up for the science GPA and help a little with the low shadowing.

Ideally OP gets 22+ DAT and then gets 100+ more shadowing hours .

However, If he applies to schools that are expensive and private then a lower DAT score could be okay.

Sure but that is pretty much a given. Expensive private schools have lower sGPA than cheaper state school.

Average GPA is 3.55- science or total? Either way 3.49 sGPA is kind of low. Especially with the amount of shadowing hours. OP asked for Dat score. I think with his GPA (science is kind of low) he needs a 22+. On top of that, some school will require 100 shadowing hours. So even if he gets 100 I think he needs more. If he can get the 22 then it should make up for the science GPA and help a little with the low shadowing.

Ideally OP gets 22+ DAT and then gets 100+ more shadowing hours .

However, If he applies to schools that are expensive and private then a lower DAT score could be okay.
better to actually state facts rather than "pretty much a given"

3.55 is both, so 3.49 is not "kinda low", it's less than 2% below average
IMO, 20+ should give you a good chance at private schools, 21+ would be better for public schools...

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
better to actually state facts rather than "pretty much a given"

3.55 is both, so 3.49 is not "kinda low", it's less than 2% below average
IMO, 20+ should give you a good chance at private schools, 21+ would be better for public schools...
I did. In my first post i mentioned if he goes to a private school with a lower sGPA you can get a lower DAT. Maybe you didn’t read the sentence close enough.

3.49 is below average so it is low. Not sure what point you are trying to make as each of your posts just confirms what I am saying.

I had a 3.2 GPA overall I think and a high DAT, got into three schools before December. I also interviewed at UF, was waitlisted and decided to go to another school. Don't let anyone tell you something is low or not possible, no one here is on an admissions committee. I used to have panic attacks over the BS people on here said. Have the best application you can have, and try your best on the DAT.

Reactions: 1 users
I am not saying it is impossible. Like you said you had a high DAT. The high DAT will really help balance out the academics. On top of that some schools require 100 hours of shadowing so it is important to get that up as well.

Be careful what you read here. I had a 3.4 oGPA with a 3.3sGPA and a 19AA on the DAT and got 11 interview invites and 6 acceptances out of the 8 I attended. So a lot of variables play in.
That being said, a higher DAT only gives you options as to possibly getting into the cheaper schools, which IMO is the most important factor. But you don’t need an outrageous score to be competitive.

8 hours of studying everyday until July 31st? Seems to me that's excessive -- you don't want to burnout. But whatever floats your boat
Might not end up being that. I’m just trying to thoroughly follow Aris schedule not sure how long it will take per day

Thanks for the advice. I set up a lot of shadowing in the next two weeks and am getting up to 87. Gonna call some more places to work on building those.

I had a 3.2 GPA overall I think and a high DAT, got into three schools before December. I also interviewed at UF, was waitlisted and decided to go to another school. Don't let anyone tell you something is low or not possible, no one here is on an admissions committee. I used to have panic attacks over the BS people on here said. Have the best application you can have, and try your best on the DAT.
Thanks! needed to hear this. Congrats on your journey. What month did you apply? I am a little scared because I’m applying later as well

Be careful what you read here. I had a 3.4 oGPA with a 3.3sGPA and a 19AA on the DAT and got 11 interview invites and 6 acceptances out of the 8 I attended. So a lot of variables play in.
That being said, a higher DAT only gives you options as to possibly getting into the cheaper schools, which IMO is the most important factor. But you don’t need an outrageous score to be competitive.
Very cool. Where did you apply? I need to go to a midwest school