This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sufitopia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
malignant residency program.
black sheep and was targeted over the course of a few months.
was overly hard working and advocated too much for patients which pissed the wrong people off.
was also a bit too vocal about residency conditions and patient safety issues. again: pissed the wrong people off.
excellent evals throughout, no probation, etc.
daily abuse for months from attendings, residents, nurses alike due to above.
if you have ever heard of "workplace mobbing", this is essentially what happened as I watched helpless over the course of a few months.

the abuse got to a point where I developed SI with a plan. went to hospital. ED prelim dx depression w/ psychotic sx.
paranoia regarding program (I felt they were trying to railroad me) & SI w/ plan is documented in ED visit.
ED note also has documented rare MJ use and nicotine vape use.
took medical LOA from program.
SI w/ plan is documented on DC summary.
voluntary psych admission.
final psych diagnosis: depression single episode, unspecified.

resigned from program during LOA as I did not want to go back to such a malignant environment that it affected my health to this point.
guess they won in pushing me out.

licensing is going to ask about medical LOA.
then they will request medical records.
then they will see the SI and paranoia even though final diagnosis is just depression.

no past psych history. no other leaves. what happened was largely situational and related to the abuse I was suffering.

IS MY MEDICAL CAREER OVER?
Have PD support in transitioning fields...assuming I can get a new spot...
CAN I GET A LICENSE WITH THIS KIND OF PSYCH HISTORY?

Are you seeing a psychiatrist or other mental health professional at this time? How long ago was your hospitalization? Are you currently on medication? In other words - what was the treatment plan for you, and have you been adherent to it?

Reactions: 1 users
Most likely you would be able to get a license. Depression shouldn't be an issue. Psychosis can be, but if you're not on antipsychotics its unlikely to be an issue. Each state will evaluate this differently, so there's no way to be 100% certain. CA, MA, FL, TX, and PA tend to be a bigger problem.

From your prior (deleted) posts, I assume you are a US DO. You'd need 1 year of completed GME to get a license in most states. Getting a license is the first step, finding some work with only one year of GME is not straightforward.

Getting a new GME spot is also possible but an uphill process. You'll need a summary letter from your prior program. You'll need to pick a new field, and you need to be competitive for it.

You blame your program for your problems. They likely deserve a good portion of it. But you should also be introspective. You "pissed people off". That's going to get you into trouble anywhere. If you're advocating for your patients that's laudable, but if you do so in a way that causes problems you don't do anyone any good.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Are you seeing a psychiatrist or other mental health professional at this time? How long ago was your hospitalization? Are you currently on medication? In other words - what was the treatment plan for you, and have you been adherent to it?
Thank you for quoting him before he deleted his post . . .Veteran SDN move, to keep the thread interesting.

Reactions: 3 users