This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

garrettp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
m3 here. Failed my family med rotation earlier this year due to poor evals (disorganized patient presentations & weak procedural skills). No other failures/red flags. Passes on all other rotations. 3rd quartile rank, 500 level 1. Really had my heart set on psych, and was thinking maybe fm as backup. Now not sure if I’d be competitive for psych or fm given the fm rotation failure…

should I just brace myself for an inevitable soap/scramble in the future? what specialties would I still have an ok shot at?
I would apply to something else as your backup instead of FM if it was me. Those evaluation comments will have to be explained either way. You could try IM as backup and try to downplay the comments or you could go to path as a backup and forget about clinical medicine. You could also just apply FM and say how much you have improved.

I think you are still more likely to match than not. Get letters from others saying how awesome you are. Maybe do an away in 4th year as a subI to have sonething to tell how you got better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, how early on was your family medicine rotation?
Was it like your first clinical rotation?

Psych is still possible, it depends on the rest of your application.

That seems prettty intense for them to fail you, was there anything in specific? Did you show up on time and at least try/work hard?

personally if a medical student did bad, but at least tried and was amendable to feedback and worked hard/did their best, was hard to want to fail them

Is there more to the story that we're not getting here? Most 3rd year students aren't expected to have the best patient presentations and any procedural skills. You're there to learn mostly and your grades are largely reflected on being present and developing your clinical skills and improving throughout the month. The eval comments will be important here

Psych is still possible, it depends on the rest of your application.

That seems prettty intense for them to fail you, was there anything in specific? Did you show up on time and at least try/work hard?

personally if a medical student did bad, but at least tried and was amendable to feedback and worked hard/did their best, was hard to want to fail them
Why was it intense to fail the OP, he/she stated that they had poor evals "disorganized patient presentations & weak procedural skills." While I totally get a school wanting to do everything they can to help a student match, there has to be a point drawn and some accountability on the student.

The OP does not deny the reason for the failure nor makes excuses( applaud him or her for that), so not sure what you do at your institution, but should we pass someone who "tried hard" but did not grasp the material, failed to meet standards? Sorry, but students who want to be doctors should be able to pass a FM rotation. Now, if he/she was not getting the proper feedback to improve during the rotation, that's another story and should be brought up with the dean.

To the OP, I think you can still match, just make sure you work very hard to not have any more failures. If you are having issues with your procedural skills/presentations, ask for some help. From your post, you have demonstrated that you have the ability to handle the rigor, since you said you have no other failures/red flags. Is there anything we are missing here, were all the evals bad?

Best of luck.

Why was it intense to fail the OP, he/she stated that they had poor evals "disorganized patient presentations & weak procedural skills." While I totally get a school wanting to do everything they can to help a student match, there has to be a point drawn and some accountability on the student.

The OP does not deny the reason for the failure nor makes excuses( applaud him or her for that), so not sure what you do at your institution, but should we pass someone who "tried hard" but did not grasp the material, failed to meet standards? Sorry, but students who want to be doctors should be able to pass a FM rotation. Now, if he/she was not getting the proper feedback to improve during the rotation, that's another story and should be brought up with the dean.

To the OP, I think you can still match, just make sure you work very hard to not have any more failures. If you are having issues with your procedural skills/presentations, ask for some help. From your post, you have demonstrated that you have the ability to handle the rigor, since you said you have no other failures/red flags. Is there anything we are missing here, were all the evals bad?

Best of luck.
Because when I was a resident ive worked with many medical students, and its rare for a medical student to have good presentation skills, most tend to have "good enough" presentation skills. The point of rotations is not to do amazing, its to learn, be receptive, and make effort to improve.

On clinicals, standards are subjective and determined by the preceptor. We don't all have quarterly meetings and come up with a unified list.

Clinical rotations have so many variables and often times a bad interaction/day can sour an experience. Depending on the rotation you may only get a week or two weeks, etc with a certain preceptor.

Reactions: 1 user
Because when I was a resident ive worked with many medical students, and its rare for a medical student to have good presentation skills, most tend to have "good enough" presentation skills. The point of rotations is not to do amazing, its to learn, be receptive, and make effort to improve.

On clinicals, standards are subjective and determined by the preceptor. We don't all have quarterly meetings and come up with a unified list.

Clinical rotations have so many variables and often times a bad interaction/day can sour an experience. Depending on the rotation you may only get a week or two weeks, etc with a certain preceptor.
How do you know what actually happened here? Sure, the presentation skills of med students don't have to be outstanding, but something caused all of the evals to point to poor performance, so much it caused a failure..... More is needed.

Either way, the most important thing in this thread is that the OP finds out what he needs to do to improve, work on improving, speak to advisers/dean, whomever to try and see what they can do to save his app, so he can match....as long as he meets all the necessary standards and passes all remaining rotations. We do want our medical students be able to provide quality medical care during/after residency...that is the goal here.

Last edited:
Im calling there’s more to the story than what is just presented. You can have weak presentation skills, get a low rating on it, and still pass a rotation. Procedural skills are def not expected of you to know as an M3 for any specialty, you are legit there to learn. Maybe if they ask you to practice some type of procedural skill that they showed you or told you to look up and you just ignored them I mean maybe.

For presentation skills, it’s FM so assuming outpatient just literally say what they’re there for. The worst cases you forget to ask some good starting point questions and you can pick that up during the rotation.

I think something definitely happened under the surface or someone got rubbed the wrong way for a failure to happen. This story alone would actually be a red flag for me.

Also for OP: If I’m wrong then you just need to give a very detailed explanation for why you think you failed given that. If there is another reason, you need to dig deep to find out where you went wrong, take time to reflect what could’ve been differently and how, and how you will use this information moving forward to being improved. It’s not about the failures bringing us down, it’s about how we respond to them that matters. Being honest and dead-on and making sure this won’t happen again shows accountability, growth, and maturity and with that I think you can match well especially with solid audition rotation performances.

Reactions: 1 user