This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangecremely

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think you oughta give yourself a pat on the back for all your hard work. Did you make sure to look your interviewers in the eye? Give them a firm handshake? You did all you could, sport.

• Sad
I think you oughta give yourself a pat on the back for all your hard work. Did you make sure to look your interviewers in the eye? Give them a firm handshake? You did all you could, sport.
Thank you bud for the encouragement. Well my interviews were virtual so i didn’t get to do handshake but I make sure to look at my computer camera lol

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Just came to say congratulations on your acceptance. I mean I'm happy to look over your app (although maybe putting up a WAMC post would get you better feedback from more experienced people?) but nowadays, there are many incredibly competitive applicants who only get one A.

Hey, I had a perfect GPA, 520+ MCAT, all the volunteering, shadowing, research, etc, and I got into my state MD school. Which is great! But don't automatically think you've done something wrong necessarily because you aren't getting 17 acceptances.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
They’re a combination of reaches and matches but they all put me on the alternate list. I do have an acceptance so I don’t think it’s my interview skills? I also practiced a lot with people and nobody said my interview performance was atrocious or anything. I get it if my stats weren’t good enough for reaches but to be waitlisted at a match is just heartbreaking.
WL is not R (until it is). WL could become A.

Congratulations on the A you have. You are going to become a doctor. Trust the process and let's see come March if the WL turn over.

TL/DR: Mission match with your schools. Others did a better job with this. Could be interviews, not knowing who you talked to.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I have a staircase analogy. Imagine a broad staircase. You are positioned on this staircase with other applicants on the same stair and with others higher and lower than you and your cohort. As more applicants are interviewed, the new folks will be assigned positions on the staircase. You can think of this as the waitlist. Eventually, starting at the top of the staircase, applicants will be issued offers of admission. Whether you will be high enough to get one depends on how the people coming after you for interviews perform. If they do less well, you may be toward the top and get in but at this point, schools are biding their time and waiting to see how the cycle plays out for them.

• Love
I found mission match to be perfect with one of these match schools. Even the interviewer said she thinks I’m a great match (yes I’ve heard take their words with a grain of salt) so I doubt I’m being delusional with our mission fit here.
To difficult to know how well you really matched according to the adcom that makes the final decision. Again, you may have done everything right, but others did a little better.

Or as Goro points out, this could happen with just about everyone who interviews at a school. Trust the process.

OK, let's say that students are given a score between 1 and 10 after interview which is a composite of the AMCAS application, secondary and interview. (This score corresponds to which stair you are assigned to). A school might know that anyone with a score of 1 (top step) will end up with an offer and might make those offers starting on October 15th or it might hold off and make all offers at the same time in mid-winter. It might put everyone else on the waitlist, regardless of score. It is almost certain that the 2s and 3s will be worthy of offers by March but it isn't clear if the 4s and 5s will or won't, depending on how many people get really high scores. The people with scores of 6 through 10 are unlikely to get offers but they might get a rejection letter this early in the cycle, or, more likely, be in waitlist purgatory forever or until they withdraw their application.

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users