16:09, and have yet to round on 12 pts.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lvspro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And it's a cardio consult elective.
Thank god for anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad.

Ended up starting rounds at 16:58.
Lot's of learning... way more waiting.

lvspro said:
Ended up starting rounds at 16:58.
Lot's of learning... way more waiting.

Holy crap... that BLOWS!

The endless rounding is why I could never go into internal medicine.

Just my two cents from experience...

IM - 2 hours of rounding with plenty of teaching starting at a sane time (9:30 at the current site) and ending before lunch.

Gen Surg - 2 hours of rounding consisting of shouting out Tmaxes and no teaching starting at 6 am and repeated again in the afternoon.

There are fairly few IM attendings who round forever anymore because they get slammed on their evals.

Mumpu said:

IM - 2 hours of rounding with plenty of teaching starting at a sane time (9:30 at the current site) and ending before lunch.

Gen Surg - 2 hours of rounding consisting of shouting out Tmaxes and no teaching starting at 6 am and repeated again in the afternoon.

There are fairly few IM attendings who round forever anymore because they get slammed on their evals.

...because I definitely rounded forever on gen med and the MICU. The teaching was phenomenal though, but between that, noon conference, and a 3:30 lecture on intense ventilator/respiratory phys stuff I was brain-fried everyday.

Mumpu said:

That's our usual model, but my attending is super busy right now. He's the chief of cardio at the civilian hospital across the st, and is now the interim chief at the VA. I don't think I've ever seen anyone this busy. Even so, he's a cool cat, and unless I have a glaring hole in my tx plans, he gives me, a lowly 1st mo intern, a lot of latitude. In fact, An NP and I run the service, and call him if we have any issues. He has the NP there all day, who helps me a ton, and we've only had to actually cal him a couple of times this week. The learning curve is through the roof when you're given that much responsibility.
Back to the point, though, this is definitely one of my reasons for choosing anesthesia. I couldn't spend this much of my time rounding for the rest of my life. One patient, one focus, acute care is much more my cup of tea.

I'm an IM resident. We keep ours teams small on purpose (1 intern and 1 sub-I) with a max of 14 pts (9 for the intern and 5 for the sub-I). That way, we never spend more than 2 hours a day rounding. That includes bedside teaching everyday, as well as formal teaching on some days. On surgery, we would do 1 hour of crazy quick rounding on 25 pts with the senior, then round quickly with the attending, and then do another hour in the evening after all of our cases were done. It ends up being about the same amount of time spent rounding for surgery or IM.