Kokugeka Shiro

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Hate to bring the bad news, but I'd say with a 16 the person would have to be a pretty exceptional case to be accepted. An Asian/Caucasian applicant would have a hard time with that score.

I don't know any specific instances of someone getting in with that, but maybe someone does...?

Andrew324

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
What do you mean a score of 16?

Do you mean an AA of 16 or QR of 16 or what?

Crew07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Last year a girl named Kat (cat) was accepted to ASDOH with an AA of 15, there is hope, but not much. A third year student there was accepted with a 16 AA but his father in law is ADCOM.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist

Erhatstil

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
i guess my AA of 17 isnt as low on the spectrum as i thought

somethinpositiv

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2008
Status
Dental Student
i guess my AA of 17 isnt as low on the spectrum as i thought
no?

According to PreDents, between 2006-2008, 109 people applied with an AA of 17 or below, 35 were accepted (32% acceptance rate). If you examine race, 27 white or asian people applied with an AA of 17 or below, 6 were accepted to any school (22% acceptance rate).

Contrast this to the total PreDents population between 2006-2007. 2034 people applied and 1256 people were accepted total (62% acceptance rate).

PDizzle

PreDents.com
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2005
LSU, New Orleans
www.predents.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
no?

According to PreDents, between 2006-2008, 109 people applied with an AA of 17 or below, 35 were accepted (32% acceptance rate). If you examine race, 27 white or asian people applied with an AA of 17 or below, 6 were accepted to any school (22% acceptance rate).

Contrast this to the total PreDents population between 2006-2007. 2034 people applied and 1256 people were accepted total (62% acceptance rate).
Nice...someone is actually using my search feature! All that work doing that SOB is paying off a little!

Bruinlove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
Nice...someone is actually using my search feature! All that work doing that SOB is paying off a little!
It's very useful to some people like me. That search feature was my best friend in July and August while I was waiting for the first interview. You are the man! :thumbup:

Northside

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
As an international student, I've been using your search feature to help gauge not only how hard it is for international students to gain acceptances but also get an idea of which schools give us some consideration. You certainly knew what you were doing when you designed the site! Good job!

needa20

10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2008
Status
Dental Student
look at doc tootache's thread, looks like about 40 some schools accepted with aa of 16 or lower

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
OP
G

Gail Cohen

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
dr tooth, i cant open the thread on my mac, but i could on my pc at work today, is that possible:confused:

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
dr tooth, i cant open the thread on my mac, but i could on my pc at work today, is that possible:confused:
Try going through doc toothache statistics and see if it will let you route it that way. The thread is on Range of AA, PA, TS, Mean, Median.

needa20

10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2008
Status
Dental Student
True dat doc... but predents also lists ppl's stats
predents is awesome, no question about it. but predents does not represent much of the applicant pool as doc tootache's thread does. Please correct me if im wrong, but predents has many members from this website, which scores tend to be much higher than the applicant pool

somethinpositiv

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2008
Status
Dental Student
predents is awesome, no question about it. but predents does not represent much of the applicant pool as doc tootache's thread does. Please correct me if im wrong, but predents has many members from this website, which scores tend to be much higher than the applicant pool
True that on average, people on Predents have higher stats than the 'civilian' population. However, that doesn't change the fact that it is difficult if not near impossible to get a 16 and get accepted without some kind of catch (4.0 GPA, URM, Legacy, Peace Corps.. or a certain je ne sais quoi).

A 16 DAT is not congruent with any GPA over 3.0 IMHO, and a 16 is low enough that you should be able to retake and get a higher score fairly easily, if you put in a little bit of effort in studying. Retake and you will have a great shot at getting in.

rdhdds1

10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
AZ
Status
Pre-Dental
Last year a girl named Kat (cat) was accepted to ASDOH with an AA of 15, there is hope, but not much. A third year student there was accepted with a 16 AA but his father in law is ADCOM.
I don't know if this is the same one that my buddy took physics with but the girl had 15/16 on the DAT and was accepted. The story goes that she was accepted based on the people she knew within the school.

Erhatstil

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
no?

no?

no i dont...i think getting accepted with an AA of 12, 13, or 14 like a decent number of schools show is...pathetic for lack of a better word

DiNoZeRo2o9

10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2008
Stockton, CA
Status
Dental Student
I'm sure there have been people accepted with 16. If I recall correctly, the AA average at Meharry is like a 17 or 16. 16 is definitely more acceptable if you are an underrepresented minority. There may be a chance with 16, but I hate to say it that it may be less than a few percent chance per school, so I would apply to a lot. Even with a 21 DAT, I applied to 22 schools.

Also it depends greatly on your GPA and the rest of your application.

OP
G

Gail Cohen

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
pdizzle, my scores; pa 21, qr 13, rc 20, bio 16, gc,18, oc 15. gpa 3.4 science gpa 40.

do you think if i bust a-- for the next 6 weeks studing for the dat, take it again in jan. and do better, i may still have a chance? will it be too late to submit new scores to the schools? how do i know the cut-off dates for apps. to be complete.

PDizzle

PreDents.com
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2005
LSU, New Orleans
www.predents.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
pdizzle, my scores; pa 21, qr 13, rc 20, bio 16, gc,18, oc 15. gpa 3.4 science gpa 40.

do you think if i bust a-- for the next 6 weeks studing for the dat, take it again in jan. and do better, i may still have a chance? will it be too late to submit new scores to the schools? how do i know the cut-off dates for apps. to be complete.
Well, I'm not the most knowledgeable one here but I'd say you have to retake the DAT anyway, so focus on that. As far as the cut-off dates, that’s for your app to be submitted, which you did already(..right?). you will just be updating your app with a notice of a DAT retake. You can confirm with each school you applied to and let them know you're taking the DAT again.

Having said all that, I still think your chances aren't the greatest for this year. Do not get discouraged tho. Just focus on kick'n the crap out of the DAT and have an early, strong app for next year.

Good luck

OP
G

Gail Cohen

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
no i havnt pushed the button on my app. i am scared sh---less, so afraid of rejection. its been ready to go for weeks now. i have till sunday to do it.....im freaking out! im so worried im not gonna do better on the dat this time and it will be the second one. i cant take standardized tests, never could. if i dont get in this year, do i have to pay for app. fees again?

jigabodo

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Louisville, KY
Status
Dentist
no i havnt pushed the button on my app. i am scared sh---less, so afraid of rejection. its been ready to go for weeks now. i have till sunday to do it.....im freaking out! im so worried im not gonna do better on the dat this time and it will be the second one. i cant take standardized tests, never could. if i dont get in this year, do i have to pay for app. fees again?
At this point of the cycle, I would strongly advise you to better your application and try again next year, since you will have to pay application fee for every cycle that you applied for.

Good luck!

PDizzle

PreDents.com
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2005
LSU, New Orleans
www.predents.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Gail, listen to me for a sec. You have to do whatever you have to do to get high scores on "standardized tests" (Don't really know what the hell that means...a test is a test, IMO). If the only way for you to score high is to study while standing on your head with peanut butter between your toes,..then do it!

Some people study 1 hour before the test and get the same grade that someone else studies 5 hrs/day for a week! Get over it. Find out what works for you but more importantly, be confident and determined!

Believe me, I've been around the block (euphemism for an old bastard!). I graduated high school with a 1.7 GPA, failed 10th grade English 3 years in row!!:laugh:. The highest academic grade I got was a "C" in four years! Through hard work and, more important, determination I eventually got a full academic scholarship to UC Berkeley in Bio-chemistry and am now in my third year of what some would consider the top 5 dental schools in the Nation.

I went to school with a friend of mine and she said she just couldn't get the same grades I did. I said to her that the problem is that she didn't want it bad enough. She replied that wasn't the case. I then said, "What if someone kidnapped her mother and said if you don't get an "A" on your next test, they would kill her". I then asked if she thought she would get an, "A" or not. She replied, "Of course I would,..it's my Mom". I rested my case.

Don't be afraid of tests...get pissed off at them! "They" don’t think you can beat them. Study your butt off and kick their $$!!!!!!!!

Good luck...if you take my advice you will be a dentist, or whatever you want to be.

Dizz....out!

Dentista08

looking for a practice!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
Status
Dental Student, Dentist
Gail, listen to me for a sec. You have to do whatever you have to do to get high scores on "standardized tests" (Don't really know what the hell that means...a test is a test, IMO). If the only way for you to score high is to study while standing on your head with peanut butter between your toes,..then do it!

Some people study 1 hour before the test and get the same grade that someone else studies 5 hrs/day for a week! Get over it. Find out what works for you but more importantly, be confident and determined!

Believe me, I've been around the block (euphemism for an old bastard!). I graduated high school with a 1.7 GPA, failed 10th grade English 3 years in row!!:laugh:. The highest academic grade I got was a "C" in four years! Through hard work and, more important, determination I eventually got a full academic scholarship to UC Berkeley in Bio-chemistry and am now in my third year of what some would consider the top 5 dental schools in the Nation.

I went to school with a friend of mine and she said she just couldn't get the same grades I did. I said to her that the problem is that she didn't want it bad enough. She replied that wasn't the case. I then said, "What if someone kidnapped her mother and said if you don't get an "A" on your next test, they would kill her". I then asked if she thought she would get an, "A" or not. She replied, "Of course I would,..it's my Mom". I rested my case.

Don't be afraid of tests...get pissed off at them! "They" don't think you can beat them. Study your butt off and kick their $$!!!!!!!!

Good luck...if you take my advice you will be a dentist, or whatever you want to be.

Dizz....out!
wow... thanks! that just motivated ME to heck!
Thank you. R u really 38 yrs old??

Dentista08

looking for a practice!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
Status
Dental Student, Dentist
Chonologically?...Yes, I'm afraid I am rappidly aproaching the, "old bastard" age. But if you ask anyone who knows me, I'm like 16...maybe 17...tops, inside!
i know thats y i asked! You seem very young at heart, which is what is most important. Also wondering why you didnt apply right after college, but I guess you very doing other interesting things to you.
Thanks again for the "motivation lecture" I needed that before my retake on Wed

PDizzle

PreDents.com
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2005
LSU, New Orleans
www.predents.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i know thats y i asked! You seem very young at heart, which is what is most important. Also wondering why you didnt apply right after college, but I guess you very doing other interesting things to you.
Thanks again for the "motivation lecture" I needed that before my retake on Wed
After college I started my own web design company. Only later finding my true career calling.

You're welcome for the, "motivation lecture"!:laugh: I truely believe that sheer determination will beat out apptitude, any day of the week and twice on Sunday (My beloved Oakland Raiders are the exception of course!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:).

Remember...study angry! The test is laughing at you! Are you gonna take that??

Dizz.....out!

needa20

10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2008
Status
Dental Student

Don't be afraid of tests...get pissed off at them! "They" don’t think you can beat them. Study your butt off and kick their $$!!!!!!!!

Dizz....out!

great motivation for everyone!

somethinpositiv

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Wow. Good stuff.

abrown15

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
HEY I TOOK THE DAT TWICE! GOT A 14 FIRST TIME AND 16 THE 2ND!!
my math really sucked but everything else was really good on my second time around!....I GOT INTO HOWARD!
- so don't give up the dream and keep fighting! GOD is AWSOME and HE will Bless you too!
- don't let anyone tell you, you won't make it!
thats just my .02

blue34

10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I got a 15 on my QR and got into Mich and Minn

aadsashoops

Univ. at Buffalo SDM 2013
10+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Status
Dental Student
Admissions Committees look at more than just test scores!!! Get involved, be genuine, work hard on the GPA, and do well on the interview by expressing your desire to be a dentist and display to the interviewers your personality!! Try your hardest to get good scores on the DAT, don't get me wrong, but there is more to a pre-dent then what he or she scores on the DAT!!! "Don't give up, don't ever give up." Good advice from Jimmy V!!!