Step I 17 alpha hydroxylase def and aldosterone level

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MudPhud20XX

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone explain why you would get low/normal aldosterone in 17 alpha hydroxylase def? I think it should give rather high aldosterone since the metabolic flux will be increased due to the blockage of conversion of pregneneolone to 17-hydroxypregnenolone.
 
Since the precursors of aldosterone are weak mineralcorticoids (corticosterone etc.), their elevation causes a weak aldosterone like effect and therefore your body does not need to make as much aldosterone.
 
Can anyone explain why you would get low/normal aldosterone in 17 alpha hydroxylase def? I think it should give rather high aldosterone since the metabolic flux will be increased due to the blockage of conversion of pregneneolone to 17-hydroxypregnenolone.

Agree with the poster above me. It's due to aldosterone's weak MC effect. And the fact that it increases volume expansion which ultimately suppresses RAAS, which pretty much acts as a negative inhibitor to further aldosterone secretion by the adrenals. Review the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and that should further clarify things a bit.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just had an Rx question on this and in the explanation it stated that mineralcorticoids were increased, specifically aldosterone.

So I have no idea which way to think.