19 AA-16 PAT/16 RC with 3.5 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raider2027

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I studied bioengineering with a 3.5 GPA, and i serve as President of E-Board for our schools dental society. I took the DAT and received a 19 AA (but a 16 PAT and 16 RC). I have many shadowing hours and have won academic awards, but only studied for my DAT for a few weeks. I am from Connecticut originally and part of my schools dance team. I am planning on applying to most of the schools in the New England and NY area. I was wondering if the PAT and RC scores will hinder my application? If so, how would you recommend explaining this to admissions?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I studied bioengineering with a 3.5 GPA, and i serve as President of E-Board for our schools dental society. I took the DAT and received a 19 AA (but a 16 PAT and 16 RC). I have many shadowing hours and have won academic awards, but only studied for my DAT for a few weeks. I am from Connecticut originally and part of my schools dance team. I am planning on applying to most of the schools in the New England and NY area. I was wondering if the PAT and RC scores will hinder my application? If so, how would you recommend explaining this to admissions?
Thanks
what is your complete DAT breakdown?
why did you only study a few weeks?

RC and PAT scores are both heavily weighed by admissions committees.

However, the good news is that the admissions process is holistic.

That being said, you will certainly need to have a good story and be ready to explain why those scores were below par compared to the rest of your application.

Be sure to crush all other aspects of your application (personal statement, supplementals, having strong letters of recommendation, activities framing, apply early, etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
what is your complete DAT breakdown?
why did you only study a few weeks?

I studied for 4 weeks because there was only one option for the DAT exam until the end of august available near me, and i want to apply in the next few weeks. My DAT breakdown is:

PAT: 16
QR: 20
RC: 20
Bio: 18
Gen Chem: 22
Orgo: 18
TS: 19
AA: 19

I studied for 4 weeks because there was only one option for the DAT exam until the end of august available near me, and i want to apply in the next few weeks. My DAT breakdown is:

PAT: 16
QR: 20
RC: 20
Bio: 18
Gen Chem: 22
Orgo: 18
TS: 19
AA: 19
is your RC 16 or 20?

Hey Guys,

Thanks
If I were you, I'd take the DAT again because 19 is a subpar score given that national avg is 20.7. Your GPA is at the middle of the curve; so, taking the DAT again will boost your chances significantly.

That said, I'd be worried about the <17 scores bc for some schools, you will get rejected even before applying.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were you, I'd take the DAT again because 19 is a subpar score given that national avg is 20.7. Your GPA is at the middle of the curve; so, taking the DAT again will boost your chances significantly.

That said, I'd be worried about the <17 scores bc for some schools, you will get rejected even before applying.

Eh I would say that’s not entirely correct. The national average is around a 17. Average for people who get accepted is between 19 and 20. So it’s definitely doable.

I had a 3.43 GPA and a 19 on the DAT and received 11 interviews (only went to 8) and got 6 acceptances. So it’s doable.

It all depends on what schools you want apply to. My recommendation and two cents is a 16 on both RC and PAT is a little low. It could be the deal breaker for some schools. I’d retake it. Honestly though, if you only raised those two scores up 2-3 points you’d be fine. You’re definitely right there, and it can be done. Best of luck!

Reactions: 7 users
Also, just to add this in, I’m a white, American male. So I didn’t have the URM label helping me. So it’s doable! And if you are a URM, you’ll have that on your side.

Eh I would say that’s not entirely correct. The national average is around a 17. Average for people who get accepted is between 19 and 20. So it’s definitely doable.

I had a 3.43 GPA and a 19 on the DAT and received 11 interviews (only went to 8) and got 6 acceptances. So it’s doable.

It all depends on what schools you want apply to. My recommendation and two cents is a 16 on both RC and PAT is a little low. It could be the deal breaker for some schools. I’d retake it. Honestly though, if you only raised those two scores up 2-3 points you’d be fine. You’re definitely right there, and it can be done. Best of luck!

Wow! Amazing! What schools did you apply and get interviewed/accepted from?

Dude, totally agree with you. I think it's doable for the OP. 19 DAT is not the worst thing in the world. But, I do think his 16 scores will be a red flag to many schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow! Amazing! What schools did you apply and get interviewed/accepted from?

Shoot me a PM (It doesn't look like its letting me send you one) and I'll give you the list and the basic breakdown if you want.

Shoot me a PM (It doesn't look like its letting me send you one) and I'll give you the list and the basic breakdown if you want.
@MG14 I am also interested, but it won't let me send you a PM.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is always one person who says they were admitted to school with low grades or scores. This is probably true, but you are not privy to all the information from their app nor the circumstances which allowed them to be accepted. Rogue stories abound on SDN, but in fact, the vast majority of dental students have excellent undergrad credentials. I see them when they apply for residency. Hundreds of apps over the past 5 years. High achievers with excellent credentials. That is in fact who populates dental schools. Advice from dental students on this site must be taken for what it is, anecdotal individual stories, with a tiny sample size. If you are willing to take chance, then by all means do so. Understand the pool you will be competing with.

There is always one person who says they were admitted to school with low grades or scores. This is probably true, but you are not privy to all the information from their app nor the circumstances which allowed them to be accepted. Rogue stories abound on SDN, but in fact, the vast majority of dental students have excellent undergrad credentials. I see them when they apply for residency. Hundreds of apps over the past 5 years. High achievers with excellent credentials. That is in fact who populates dental schools. Advice from dental students on this site must be taken for what it is, anecdotal individual stories, with a tiny sample size. If you are willing to take chance, then by all means do so. Understand the pool you will be competing with.

3.5 GPA and 19 on DAT aren’t “low” scores. They’re actually highly competitive.

I had 16 PAT, 22 AA/24 TS with 3.5 GPA last cycle and “barely” got into dental school. Your ECs look awesome though. Like someone mentioned, the majority of the posts on SDN are purely anecdotal (like mine). I think if you raise your DAT slightly you’ll have little trouble getting an acceptance.

Hi! :) I'm also interested to see if the schools you applied to are similar to my list but it won't let me message you. Would you mind messaging me? Thank you!

Hey Guys,

Thanks

I emailed all the schools on my list. I had a 21 AA but 15 QR and most of them said they didn't have a cutoff except for TS/AA/RC or PAT (depending on the school). They also told me QR was the least of their worries. So if I were you I would email the schools you think you have a shot in and let them know your stats.

However, they might probably tell you to retake it because it is PAT & RC and it carries some weight. BUT considering you have a 3.5 and 19 AA, I would still apply to schools that meet your stats.

Hi! :) I'm also interested to see if the schools you applied to are similar to my list but it won't let me message you. Would you mind messaging me? Thank you!

Yeah, so I sent you a message! Also I went and changed my settings (I think) So it should let anyone message me.

Yeah, so I sent you a message! Also I went and changed my settings (I think) So it should let anyone message me.
Hey! I also got a 16 RC. TS: 23 AA:21
would you be able to send me the schools you got accepted/interviewed? I can't message you for some reasons.

Hi, could you send me your school list? Thank you very much!

RC and PAT scores are both heavily weighed by admissions committees.

However, the good news is that the admissions process is holistic.

That being said, you will certainly need to have a good story and be ready to explain why those scores were below par compared to the rest of your application.

Be sure to crush all other aspects of your application (personal statement, supplementals, having strong letters of recommendation, activities framing, apply early, etc)

Holistic review does not mean test scores are meaningless. Retake the DAT because the PAT of 16 for an engineer doesn't make par for screeners. We don't want excuses or explanations; results are what matter here.

Apply in-state (Connecticut) and your regional private schools. You still could have a good chance, depending on how much you have networked with admissions staff and students as leader of your predental club.

Holistic review does not mean test scores are meaningless. Retake the DAT because the PAT of 16 for an engineer doesn't make par for screeners. We don't want excuses or explanations; results are what matter here.

Apply in-state (Connecticut) and your regional private schools. You still could have a good chance, depending on how much you have networked with admissions staff and students as leader of your predental club.
Hi, How does the network with admission staff help us? And how do we do that? Thank you.