WAMC 3.71 GPA, 24 AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalatbama

Reaction score
Applying this upcoming cycle during the summer! Should I add or remove schools? AL resident so UAB is my top choice. Would apply to more southern schools but can't because I don't have their pre-reqs completed! Also sorry for bad formatting

Master's GPA: 4.0
Overall GPA: 3.71
Science GPA: 3.6X
DAT: 24 AA, 23 TS, 20 PAT
State of Residence:
Alabama

Undergrad Attended: UAB
Major: Neuroscience and Accelerated Masters in Biomedical Sciences (will graduate with both bachelors and masters next spring)
Minor: Chemistry
Minority? NO
Reapplicant? NO

Shadowing Experience: 63 hours with personal dentist and AEGD residents
Volunteering Experience: 207 hours between multiple orgs
Employment: 590 hours mostly as a TA/instructor
Research: research based course. will present one poster from that course. no real research experience.
Other Extracurriculars: Director for a neuroscience competition, former logistics committee member for a school org, regular membership in pre-dental society
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Dental impressions day and tour
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean and Presidents list most semesters
LOR type and strength: 2 Science Prof, 1 Boss, 1 Dentist. All about average strength
Red Flags: Downward GPA trend: C in anatomy from last semester and W from this semester.
School list:

University of California, Los Angeles

University of California, San Francisco

Western University

University of Connecticut

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine

The University of Iowa

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

University of Oklahoma

UAB

University of Louisville

University of Pittsburgh

Rutgers

Creighton University

Marquette University

Members don't see this ad.

Fine manual dexterity?

You can reduce your list by checking OOS stats for the public schools. Not sure you works go far with the schools outside your region (Connecticut, Iowa, UNC). Are your experiences with diverse populations enough for the California schools (UCSF, UCLA)? The remainder look reasonable but check the OOS.

Fine manual dexterity?

You can reduce your list by checking OOS stats for the public schools. Not sure you works go far with the schools outside your region (Connecticut, Iowa, UNC). Are your experiences with diverse populations enough for the California schools (UCSF, UCLA)? The remainder look reasonable but check the OOS.
Oh yes, I forgot to include that I have about 60 hours volunteering as a DA. Not much else besides being able to use chop sticks since I was 7 and I enjoy grilling as a hobby.

My volunteer and work experience includes working with a wide range of patients and students. I work with some of the promising students and some of the most underprivileged and low socioeconomic students as an instructor.

Do you advise me to remove Connecticut, Iowa, UNC? I really have no interest in going anywhere but UAB but I still need to apply to many to maximize my chances of admission this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying this upcoming cycle during the summer! Should I add or remove schools? AL resident so UAB is my top choice. Would apply to more southern schools but can't because I don't have their pre-reqs completed! Also sorry for bad formatting

State of Residence:
Alabama

Major: Neuroscience and Accelerated Masters in Biomedical Sciences (will graduate with both bachelors and masters next spring)
Minority? NO
Reapplicant? NO

Research: research based course. will present one poster from that course. no real research experience.
Other Extracurriculars: Director for a neuroscience competition, former logistics committee member for a school org, regular membership in pre-dental society
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Dental impressions day and tour
LOR type and strength: 2 Science Prof, 1 Boss, 1 Dentist. All about average strength
Red Flags: Downward GPA trend: C in anatomy from last semester and W from this semester.
School list:

Western University

The University of Iowa

University of Oklahoma

UAB

University of Louisville

University of Pittsburgh

Rutgers

Creighton University

Marquette University
how did you select this list of schools?

how did you select this list of schools?
I selected schools based off my pre-reqs, cost, and stats. I have not taken microbio and my physiology course will be from my Masters program so I'm not sure if dental schools will take a graduate phys course as a pre-req. Many southern schools require anatomy and phys and microbio, so I cannot apply there. I used the database from Path 32 to narrow down to this list.

I selected schools based off my pre-reqs, cost, and stats. I have not taken microbio and my physiology course will be from my Masters program so I'm not sure if dental schools will take a graduate phys course as a pre-req. Many southern schools require anatomy and phys and microbio, so I cannot apply there. I used the database from Path 32 to narrow down to this list.
you need to consider mission fit
pre-reqs, costs, and stats are not mission fit...

State of Residence:
Alabama

Minority? NO
Reapplicant? NO

School list:

Western University

The University of Iowa

University of Oklahoma

UAB

University of Louisville

University of Pittsburgh

Rutgers

Creighton University

Marquette University
your list is all over the place geographically
UNC is extremely OOS unfriendly, and along with UCSF/UCLA are amongst the most 6-8 most competitive schools in the country

that said, your stats are excellent
why did you do a masters?

your list is all over the place geographically
UNC is extremely OOS unfriendly, and along with UCSF/UCLA are amongst the most 6-8 most competitive schools in the country

that said, your stats are excellent
why did you do a masters?
I did not think too deeply about why I chose to do the masters. i had the option of either graduating a semester early or completing this accelerated master's program. the masters program is priced the same as my undergraduate tuition so I thought to myself why not; i'll get the most of out college if I can graduate with two degrees.

Regardless, it seems the likely candidates for removal should be UCLA, UCSF, OK, IA, and CT? I'll try to look for more schools with a matching mission fit but yet again I feel like my options are limited

Last edited:
I did not think too deeply about why I chose to do the masters. i had the option of either graduating a semester early or completing this accelerated master's program. the masters program is priced the same as my undergraduate tuition so I thought to myself why not; i'll get the most of out college if I can graduate with two degrees.

Regardless, it seems the likely candidates for removal should be UCLA, UCSF, OK, IA, and CT? I'll try to look for more schools with a matching mission fit but yet again I feel like my options are limited
ok, thanks

i haven't seen anyone indicate you should remove any of those schools
you need to do more research on OOS interview/acceptance stats and find schools with mission fit
you also need to construct a list with a few reach schools, mostly in-range schools, and a few safety schools...

Reactions: 1 user
Do you advise me to remove Connecticut, Iowa, UNC? I really have no interest in going anywhere but UAB but I still need to apply to many to maximize my chances of admission this cycle.
I said, "check the OOS." You must do your own work building your list. For an example on how to build your grid, see the reference in the article

If you just want to spend money on applications to random schools who won't interview because they believe you just want to stay at UAB... it's your money. But you need to look closely at mission fit beyond just geographic proximity if you want to maximize your list.

As a generic applicant, there's nothing that automatically seems to exclude you, but we don't have your AADSAS application, letters/committee letter, or your essays. Submitting early will be key to a school list properly aligned with your purpose and vision as a dentist. Find out if you have to take Casper, and be prepared for Kira Talent recorded interviews (which are not always mentioned in the DSE as far as I know).

Reactions: 1 users