19 and battling between PTA and DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxwellHolmes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, im 19 yrs old, im currently battling between doing PTA and DPT. Ive been running up and down forums for the last two weeks, i hear its goods, and i hear its bads. My mom is a speech pathologist and my dad has been in OTA for the last 16 years, is a director of rehab in the hospital he works at, makes good money too. Im not in it for the money, but from what ive researched it seems like PTA's make the same amount that a PT will mike by the time that PT graduates, so if i become a PTA at 21, i have a feeling id be making the same as a PT by 24-26. I only emphasis this because i'd rather not take the extra schooling if the job function is almost the same (if anything better for a PTA because they get more involvement with patients) and the money may slightly be higher. My dad said to go PT because PTA's have to deal with being supervised by PT's, but im not really sure if that would be enough to make me go to school for an extra 4 years. I could use some help guys, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would go PT. You might make about the same at the beginning but you'll make more in long run as a pt. I checked the BLS stats for my state, the average salary for a PT is $73k, vs. $48k for PTA. You'll also have far more opportunities as a PT and you won't have to work under anyone, which I can assure you from years of working, sucks. Also, you are only 19! It's not like you're battling the clock. You have a huge advantage by knowing what you what to do at such a young age, and having the ability to relocate. I wish I would have had my act together so well at your age. I just started my DPT program and I am 25. Believe me, it was much more difficult to make the decision to apply at this point in my life, now that i have actual responsibilities like a mortgage and a husband. My advice for you is to aim high and don't sell yourself short.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not really too sure where you're drawing the "PTA make the same as PT after a couple years", from what I understand and based off of salaries I know of from where I have worked, PTAs make a significant amount less than PTs. However, the way I see it there are serious pros and cons to each that you should really consider.

Pros to PTA: less schooling (can be viewed as positive or negative), cheaper tuition (i.e. less loan repayment after graduating), less administrative paper pushing work to deal with (i.e. more time to just focus on patients)

Pros to PT: more autonomy, can open your own clinic, better pay (from my understanding), able to conduct evaluations (PTAs cannot)

Job outlook for both professions is positive so I wouldn't let that really affect your decision too much. This is just based off of my understanding, I am sure there are many other differences as well. Good luck in your decision making process.

Members don't see this ad :)
PTAs definitely do not make more money than PTs. However, it's far less expensive to become a PTA than to become a PT. It would cost me <$10k to become a PTA at my local community college

If you have a college education and you've taken many of the pre-reqs for PT school, then you owe it to yourself to apply for PT school and become a PT. PTAs aren't dumb, but their skill set is limited, and they're not nearly as knowledgeable as PTs.

Going to PT school will challenge you and utilize all your academic and intellectual capabilities. If you can't get into PT school or if you can't finish for any reason, then consider PTA school. If you never apply to PT school and instead become a PTA, then you will regret it.

Kevin

I had the same dilemma a few years ago. Decided to stick with PT because it is the more challenging path. I felt like if I committed to PTA it would be difficult for me to go back to school to become a PT if I had a change of heart. Whatever decision you do end up making will be a great one regardless.

Thanks! After some deep thought and thorough research I think I'm set on doing PT. I do have another question though, do DPT programs accept ANY bachelors degree (with good academic standing) does a Pre-health/kinesiology/ bio major make a difference in getting more classes knocked out for DPT?

As long as you have a bachelor's degree, they don't care, but you will "knock out" or complete more pre-requisites with an Exercise Science degree or a Biology degree. You could major in something like Philosophy but you would have to complete pre-requisites on top of your required courses.

Kevin

As long as you have a bachelor's degree, they don't care, but you will "knock out" or complete more pre-requisites with an Exercise Science degree or a Biology degree. You could major in something like Philosophy but you would have to complete pre-requisites on top of your required courses.

Kevin

Exactly. My bachelor's degree is in GERMAN:p I did not not decide I wanted to become a PT until after I had already graduated. I took the prereqs over the past few years while working, which was fine, but I would have saved a lot of time and money had I majored in a more relevant field.

Did you take your prerequisites at a cc?

I would have saved a lot of time and money had I majored in a more relevant field.
22.gif

Thanks! After some deep thought and thorough research I think I'm set on doing PT. I do have another question though, do DPT programs accept ANY bachelors degree (with good academic standing) does a Pre-health/kinesiology/ bio major make a difference in getting more classes knocked out for DPT?

You won't regret it! For us here in Michigan, there are RARE circumstances that a PTA makes as much as a STARTING DPT. But keep in mind, this is the case of a 20 year veteran of PTA who has gone as far as he can vs. a fresh out of college DPT who still has opportunities to go MUCH further. lol But money aside, like its been said, there are way more job opportunities for a DPT.

I'd recommend you doing an Exercise Science degree for the pre-reqs. Unless if there is another health major you'd prefer as a backup plan in case you dont get in to PT school.. I discovered that the job opportunities for a simple bachelors in Exercise Science are next to nothing so it is kind of an all or nothing degree for PT school. If you get accepted, great! If you dont, you will find yourself working to improve yourself to apply for the next year while working at Starbucks. lol I say that because its like I said, job-wise, a Bachelors in Exercise Science doesn't do too much aside from general jobs that requires a bachelors in anything. However, it is the degree that covers the most pre-reqs to get you into PT school.

Make sure you get good grades (3.5 or higher - I had a 3.2 and consider myself LUCKY to get in), get in 200+ hours observation hours in 3 or more settings, do good on GRE, and get to know your professors for good Letters of Recommendation and you should get in. Also, while your young, look into volunteering for a research group at your university. No one ever does this for some reason but I swear...having research experience is like the 'Axe Effect' to PT schools. It REALLY impresses them a lot! Plus, it'll help you get some really good Letters of Recommendation from the professors that run the labs.

Good luck though! I just had my orientation a few days ago and I can't wait! You get really close with your classmates too and form some awesome friendships that, alone, make PT school worth it! :D

Last edited:
I'd recommend you doing an Exercise Science degree for the pre-reqs. Unless if there is another health major you'd prefer as a backup plan in case you dont get in to PT school.. I discovered that the job opportunities for a simple bachelors in Exercise Science are next to nothing so it is kind of an all or nothing degree for PT school. If you get accepted, great! If you dont, you will find yourself working to improve yourself to apply for the next year while working at Starbucks. lol I say that because its like I said, job-wise, a Bachelors in Exercise Science doesn't do too much aside from general jobs that requires a bachelors in anything. However, it is the degree that covers the most pre-reqs to get you into PT school.

Good advise as always, Schnell. However, I recommend applicants and undergraduate students to avoid the exercise science major. It's total junk. You won't find any job with that degree. You can work as a personal trainer, but the vast majority of personal trainers don't have a degree. Personal trainers are also poorly paid. An ES degree is great if you want to pursue physical therapy, but what if you change your mind?

I recommend a biology degree or a pre-med degree. It's much more versatile and challenging. If you change your mind, then you can pursue another degree (PA, MD, etc.).

Kevin

A PTA does not have any control over a patient's plan of care. They are employed to carry out clinical decisions made by a therapist. They are extremely valuable to PTs, but the differences in academic preparation are very clear once you start working in the field. PTAs also have smaller growth potential (or options) within a hospital or company.