19AA/19TS with no scores below 17

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyosborne

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I just retook the DAT and scored a 19AA/19TS. None of my scores were below a 17 which is a big difference compared to my last test score back in 2018 with an 18 and scoring below a 17 in multiple areas.

I graduated this past spring with a 3.9 GPA and a 4.0 sGPA.

I studied for probably 3 months but with mostly light studying because of other obligations mixed in. I cranked up the studying the last month to where I was studying 8 hours a day. I used my 2018 Destroyer copy and DATDestroyer.

I won’t go too much into detail about how I studied like the usual breakdown posts only because I’m not sure how helpful it’d be considering my average score.

My only tip is to figure out as early as possible what studying works best for YOU. Yeah go ahead and do your research about how other people studied. But honestly, the earlier you start to crack down on your own studying is when you figure out what actually works. This was my biggest struggle. I didn’t follow any schedule but went through questions and reviewed content material where I was weak in. Each day I never did the same thing and tried to change it up to avoid getting burnt out (which I did many times anyway).

The test itself wasn’t too bad and studying to where it feels like overkill is ideal.

I just want to know how competitive my score is because obviously it isn’t a stellar 20+ score. I also know that taking the exam again would put me in a danger zone considering it would be my 3rd retake.

Members don't see this ad.

The average AA for all accepted students is between 20 and 21 (this varies between dental schools and it's best to check the specific averages of the schools you're interested in). I wouldn't describe your score as competitive but it won't necessarily stop you from getting in to dental school. With that said I think the lower than average DAT can undermine your stellar GPA because it will call into question the rigor of your curriculum.

Hi! I just retook the DAT and scored a 19AA/19TS. None of my scores were below a 17 which is a big difference compared to my last test score back in 2018 with an 18 and scoring below a 17 in multiple areas.

I graduated this past spring with a 3.9 GPA and a 4.0 sGPA.

I studied for probably 3 months but with mostly light studying because of other obligations mixed in. I cranked up the studying the last month to where I was studying 8 hours a day. I used my 2018 Destroyer copy and DATDestroyer.

I won’t go too much into detail about how I studied like the usual breakdown posts only because I’m not sure how helpful it’d be considering my average score.

My only tip is to figure out as early as possible what studying works best for YOU. Yeah go ahead and do your research about how other people studied. But honestly, the earlier you start to crack down on your own studying is when you figure out what actually works. This was my biggest struggle. I didn’t follow any schedule but went through questions and reviewed content material where I was weak in. Each day I never did the same thing and tried to change it up to avoid getting burnt out (which I did many times anyway).

The test itself wasn’t too bad and studying to where it feels like overkill is ideal.

I just want to know how competitive my score is because obviously it isn’t a stellar 20+ score. I also know that taking the exam again would put me in a danger zone considering it would be my 3rd retake.
Hi, don't be too hard on yourself, things have been quite crazy during these unusual times. You have an amazing GPA and would love to see what your breakdown is on your individual scores. If you don't feel comfortable posting them here you can always pm me.

Thanks for sharing your experience and you have an excellent opportunity for an interview, IMO.

Nancy, co/owner, Orgoman, DAT Destroyer

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t retake yet. You can get in with your gpa and dat as is. Retaking a 3rd time is dangerous unless you are 100% confident you can crush it

Reactions: 1 users