19AA 20TS --> 23AA 24TS (Retake 6/21/15)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NavyDDS1990

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Retook the DAT today and received the following scores

*********************AA/TS/BIO/OC/GC/RC/QR/PAT
:punch::rage::uhno:1st attempt: 19/20/19/22/20/16/17/22 (May 2014)
:claps::biglove:2nd attempt: 23/24/23/25/26/18/21/20 (June 2015)



Intro:
I graduated in 2013 with B.S. in Biology
Initially started my education at a community college, then transferred.
I had 3.62 oGPA at CC, then graduated at 4-year institution with 3.14 oGPA and 3.02 sGPA
AADSAS Combined oGPA: 3.30
" " sGPA: 3.20

I'm a reapplicant this year.
I applied last year to about 15+ schools and had only ONE interview at MOSDOH, then rejected.
I thought about retaking the DAT last year, but with this low GPA, especially when it is downward trend, I thought I would have no chance so I applied for formal Post-Bacc and got accepted for 2015-2016 cycle.
I will be applying to a few schools with this GPA with my new DAT since my post-bacc has not started yet.
My plan was applying next year when my fall/spring grades come out so I would be more competitive, but I decided to apply to just a few schools this cycle just to give it a shot.

But seriously, I thought I studied hard for my first attempt at DAT, but when I think back now, I definitely DID NOT. When I saw that 16RC and 17QR, I almost cried because I wanted to become a dentist so badly than anyone ever desire.
My biggest regret is how I wasn't able to maintain a competitive GPA during undergrad and now it's about to cost me 40K just to repair my poor GPA.
YES. YES. GPA REPAIR IS EXPENSIVE. So if becoming a dentist is something you truly want, put in your FULL EFFORT to maintain a good GPA.

So I decided to retake my DAT before my formal post-bacc starts in the fall because I thought it would be nice to get this out of my way so I can concentrate 100% on my school stuff.

I studied my a** off for about 7 weeks, about 6 hours a day.
It's not about how many hours a day you study, it's about how EFFICIENTLY you study for this exam.
I wouldn't personally recommend anyone studying for more than 2 months because if you study too long, what you learned will slowly fade away.
GET YOUR MIND STRAIGHT WITH FULL EFFORT, and study your a** off for about 1~2 months.

Practice Scores:
Bootcamp:
**********1st Run***********************2nd Run

BIO: 20/20/20/19/20******************23/25/21/21/24
OC: 20/20/19/26/20******************24/26/25/26/NA
GC: 19/18/24/22/18*******************23/22/30/30/19
RC: <15/<15/18/20/18
QR: 19/20/19/NA/NA
PAT: 21/NA/NA/NA/NA

Qvault:
RC: 18/18/19/18/17/18/21

Genius:
BIO: 19
OC: 21
GC: 19
RC: 18
QR: 18

2007 DAT:
BIO (32/40)
OC (29/30)
GC (29/30)

MATERIALS USED:
- DAT Destroyer (10/10) - Best material for BIO/GC/OC you will ever find out there.
- Math Destroyer (7/10) - Found this a bit harder, but on a few concepts, definitely helped.
- Cliff 3rd Edition (10/10) - considering it wasn't made for DAT, good for getting down basics.
-Feralis BIO (10/10) - Physiology section is awesome. Easy to refer to using Ctrl + F
- KBB (8/10) - I'm a visual learner. I loved the diagrams in BIO. Easier for me to learn
- Chad's OC/GC/QR (10/10) - This is MUST!! seriously this guy knows how to teach
- AK Lecture (Youtube) (10/10) - I used this on BIO concepts I did not understand.
- DAT BOOTCAMP (10/10)
- DAT Qvault (8/10) - only for RC
- DAT Genius (9/10) - only the first exam in each section

BIO (23):
First, I went through Cliff's notes once and that was enough for me to get the basics down since I retained some information from last year's preparation for DAT. Then I skimmed through Feralis Bio notes to learn more on details, especially physiology. Cliff's does not cover enough Physiology for DAT. After reading through Feralis, I started on DAT Destroyer. I worked on 50 problems in each set just to see how many I get correct. It was usually around 50~60%. Then I would read the answer solution on the back thoroughly for both correct and incorrect answers. This is how you can fully utilize this book. This is not to test you how many you get correct or incorrect. Use it as a learning tool. I made flash cards on the ones I had trouble memorizing.
In total, I went through the Destroyer 3 times, then I polished my knowledge by reading thoroughly through Feralis Bio notes.
Actual Test: I was surprised by how simple the questions were. I was angry because I really focused a lot on Physiology and small details and they never showed up :rage:

OC (25):
I felt pretty confident in this section. I thought this was going to be the highest one.
I watched Chad's videos once, then worked on Destroyer problems like crazy. This book will save your score, at least get you 20+ if you use this correctly.
I went through the Destroyer problems 4 times
Actual Test: Wow haha it was so easy and I thought I had 30 on this, but I guess not.

GC (26):
Same as OC. I watched through Chad's videos once then worked on Destroyer problems like crazy. Went through Destroyer problems 5 times
Actual Test: My jaw dropped. I expected this to be lowest of my science scores. I don't know what happened. But it was definitely easier than both Bootcamp and Destroyer.

PAT (20):
Nothing much to say about this section because all I did was only first practice test of Bootcamp. I retained a lot from last year because I thought PAT was pretty easy as I had 22 on my first attempt. But this time, maybe because I didn't practice, it felt harder than last year.

QR (21):
I went through Chad's videos. I thought it was helpful although he teaches like the basic of basics. I thought it was worth the money because he teaches you like short-cuts and some strategies to avoid calculations.
Last year, I was mentally collapsed after RC and I really couldn't focus on math, and I believe that is why I had a 17 on my first attempt. After I realized I was screwed on RC, my heart was beating so fast and I just wanted to destroy that computer and leave the building.
Although many people found QR Destroyer very helpful, I didn't. I thought it was overkill.
I didn't put much of an effort in this section because I knew that 17 from last year was due to mental collapse.
Actual Test: As someone already mentioned in another breakdown, I thought this was more of an IQ test. Just know your formulas and if you really understand the concept behind math, this section should be pretty doable. All I did was memorizing formulas a day before the test.

RC (18):
I have so much to say about this section. English is my second language and I had a lot of struggle. Last year, I didn't prepare for this section at all because I thought I could get away with it. Like I already said, I wanted to destroy the computer and leave the building during the test soon after I realized I ruined this section. This year I did 5 exams in Bootcamp and 7 exams in Qvault. Reading scientific articles didn't really help much so I stopped soon after.
At first, I did S&D exclusively. It didn't work out for me. It put too much pressure. I actually had to read through the passage and understand what the passage is about.
Not all of them, but what I did was read thoroughly on first 3 paragraphs and skim thru the rest and jump on the questions. This way you can S&D a lot more easily because you would know where the information is.
Actual Test: I had more tone questions than I expected to get. About 7:3 (Fact:Tone) ratio.
My heart was beating so fast because of that trauma from last year. I tried really really really hard to remain calm throughout this section.


Conclusion:
The test seemed easier than Bootcamp and Destroyer, a lot of application problems.
It is not easy as much as what other people say, at least I didn't think so.
It wasn't hard, but it wasn't easy either.
My best advice I can give you is... REPETITION. I did destroyer about 4~5 times each and it definitely showed in my score. REPETITION IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.
I went over the same problems over and over again and made sure I really understood the concepts. A lot of the problems in actual DAT were application problems. Regurgitating the information is not going to help. Make sure you comprehend.
This test is totally beatable. It is going to be a lot more simple than you think, but still can be tricky. That's the funny part about this exam. Problems seem very simple and easy, but tricky.

You can do this!!! and thanks for reading through this long breakdown.

Just FYI, it will feel amazing to wake up in the morning and not have to worry about this exam ever again:claps::biglove:
 
Last edited:
Retook the DAT today and received the following scores

****AA/TS/BIO/OC/GC/RC/QR/PAT
1st: 19/20/19/22/20/16/17/22
2nd: 23/24/23/25/26/18/21/20

I need some rest first. I will try to post a breakdown later on when I get a chance along with the proof.
Ask me here if you have any question.

Congratulations! Can't wait to hear more!
 
Great improvement sexylife. What did you do last week before the exam? I'm taking mine 7/7 and saving Bootcamp and Topscore for the last days.
During the last week, I went over destroyer problems and kept on reading my notes along with feralis bio, and saved some of crucial memorizing part till the day before the test .
I wouldn't save your Bootcamp and Topscore practices till last days. You would want to go through bootcamp and topscore at least twice.
They are not meant to predict the scores for you, instead they should be treated as learning materials. Don't be discouraged by the scores you get during the practice tests because they mean nothing.
Go over those practices once, and read all the explanations and learn your mistakes from them.
The reason why I tell you to go through them at least twice is because if you go through them just once, you won't be able to learn as much as going them through twice.
There has to be types of problems that your weak in and you will make same mistakes again, at least I did with the exact same problems with same numbers.
Read those explanations again and slowly digest them. Unless you're a genius, you won't be able to perfectly learn your mistakes from first attempt.
You will learn much more going them through twice although they're exact same problems you've already done before

I'll definitely try to make some time to post my breakdown asap
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Retook the DAT today and received the following scores

*********************AA/TS/BIO/OC/GC/RC/QR/PAT
:punch::rage::uhno:1st attempt: 19/20/19/22/20/16/17/22 (May 2014)
:claps::biglove:2nd attempt: 23/24/23/25/26/18/21/20 (June 2015)



Intro:
I graduated in 2013 with B.S. in Biology
Initially started my education at a community college, then transferred.
I had 3.62 oGPA at CC, then graduated at 4-year institution with 3.14 oGPA and 3.02 sGPA
AADSAS Combined oGPA: 3.30
" " sGPA: 3.20

I'm a reapplicant this year.
I applied last year to about 15+ schools and had only ONE interview at MOSDOH, then rejected.
I thought about retaking the DAT last year, but with this low GPA, especially when it is downward trend, I thought I would have no chance so I applied for formal Post-Bacc and got accepted for 2015-2016 cycle.
I will be applying to a few schools with this GPA with my new DAT since my post-bacc has not started yet.
My plan was applying next year when my fall/spring grades come out so I would be more competitive, but I decided to apply to just a few schools this cycle just to give it a shot.

But seriously, I thought I studied hard for my first attempt at DAT, but when I think back now, I definitely DID NOT. When I saw that 16RC and 17QR, I almost cried because I wanted to become a dentist so badly than anyone ever desire.
My biggest regret is how I wasn't able to maintain a competitive GPA during undergrad and now it's about to cost me 40K just to repair my poor GPA.
YES. YES. GPA REPAIR IS EXPENSIVE. So if becoming a dentist is something you truly want, put in your FULL EFFORT to maintain a good GPA.

So I decided to retake my DAT before my formal post-bacc starts in the fall because I thought it would be nice to get this out of my way so I can concentrate 100% on my school stuff.

I studied my a** off for about 7 weeks, about 6 hours a day.
It's not about how many hours a day you study, it's about how EFFICIENTLY you study for this exam.
I wouldn't personally recommend anyone studying for more than 2 months because if you study too long, what you learned will slowly fade away.
GET YOUR MIND STRAIGHT WITH FULL EFFORT, and study your a** off for about 1~2 months.

Practice Scores:
Bootcamp:
**********1st Run***********************2nd Run

BIO: 20/20/20/19/20******************23/25/21/21/24
OC: 20/20/19/26/20******************24/26/25/26/NA
GC: 19/18/24/22/18*******************23/22/30/30/19
RC: <15/<15/18/20/18
QR: 19/20/19/NA/NA
PAT: 21/NA/NA/NA/NA

Qvault:
RC: 18/18/19/18/17/18/21

Genius:
BIO: 19
OC: 21
GC: 19
RC: 18
QR: 18

2007 DAT:
BIO (32/40)
OC (29/30)
GC (29/30)

MATERIALS USED:
- DAT Destroyer (10/10) - Best material for BIO/GC/OC you will ever find out there.
- Math Destroyer (7/10) - Found this a bit harder, but on a few concepts, definitely helped.
- Cliff 3rd Edition (10/10) - considering it wasn't made for DAT, good for getting down basics.
-Feralis BIO (10/10) - Physiology section is awesome. Easy to refer to using Ctrl + F
- KBB (8/10) - I'm a visual learner. I loved the diagrams in BIO. Easier for me to learn
- Chad's OC/GC/QR (10/10) - This is MUST!! seriously this guy knows how to teach
- AK Lecture (Youtube) (10/10) - I used this on BIO concepts I did not understand.
- DAT BOOTCAMP (10/10)
- DAT Qvault (8/10) - only for RC
- DAT Genius (9/10) - only the first exam in each section

BIO (23):
First, I went through Cliff's notes once and that was enough for me to get the basics down since I retained some information from last year's preparation for DAT. Then I skimmed through Feralis Bio notes to learn more on details, especially physiology. Cliff's does not cover enough Physiology for DAT. After reading through Feralis, I started on DAT Destroyer. I worked on 50 problems in each set just to see how many I get correct. It was usually around 50~60%. Then I would read the answer solution on the back thoroughly for both correct and incorrect answers. This is how you can fully utilize this book. This is not to test you how many you get correct or incorrect. Use it as a learning tool. I made flash cards on the ones I had trouble memorizing.
In total, I went through the Destroyer 3 times, then I polished my knowledge by reading thoroughly through Feralis Bio notes.
Actual Test: I was surprised by how simple the questions were. I was angry because I really focused a lot on Physiology and small details and they never showed up :rage:

OC (25):
I felt pretty confident in this section. I thought this was going to be the highest one.
I watched Chad's videos once, then worked on Destroyer problems like crazy. This book will save your score, at least get you 20+ if you use this correctly.
I went through the Destroyer problems 4 times
Actual Test: Wow haha it was so easy and I thought I had 30 on this, but I guess not.

GC (26):
Same as OC. I watched through Chad's videos once then worked on Destroyer problems like crazy. Went through Destroyer problems 5 times
Actual Test: My jaw dropped. I expected this to be lowest of my science scores. I don't know what happened. But it was definitely easier than both Bootcamp and Destroyer.

PAT (20):
Nothing much to say about this section because all I did was only first practice test of Bootcamp. I retained a lot from last year because I thought PAT was pretty easy as I had 22 on my first attempt. But this time, maybe because I didn't practice, it felt harder than last year.

QR (21):
I went through Chad's videos. I thought it was helpful although he teaches like the basic of basics. I thought it was worth the money because he teaches you like short-cuts and some strategies to avoid calculations.
Last year, I was mentally collapsed after RC and I really couldn't focus on math, and I believe that is why I had a 17 on my first attempt. After I realized I was screwed on RC, my heart was beating so fast and I just wanted to destroy that computer and leave the building.
Although many people found QR Destroyer very helpful, I didn't. I thought it was overkill.
I didn't put much of an effort in this section because I knew that 17 from last year was due to mental collapse.
Actual Test: As someone already mentioned in another breakdown, I thought this was more of an IQ test. Just know your formulas and if you really understand the concept behind math, this section should be pretty doable. All I did was memorizing formulas a day before the test.

RC (18):
I have so much to say about this section. English is my second language and I had a lot of struggle. Last year, I didn't prepare for this section at all because I thought I could get away with it. Like I already said, I wanted to destroy the computer and leave the building during the test soon after I realized I ruined this section. This year I did 5 exams in Bootcamp and 7 exams in Qvault. Reading scientific articles didn't really help much so I stopped soon after.
At first, I did S&D exclusively. It didn't work out for me. It put too much pressure. I actually had to read through the passage and understand what the passage is about.
Not all of them, but what I did was read thoroughly on first 3 paragraphs and skim thru the rest and jump on the questions. This way you can S&D a lot more easily because you would know where the information is.
Actual Test: I had more tone questions that I expected to get. About 7:3 (Fact:Tone) ratio.
My heart was beating so fast because of that trauma from last year. I tried really really really hard to remain calm throughout this section.


Conclusion:
The test seemed easier than Bootcamp and Destroyer, a lot of application problems.
It is not easy as much as what other people say, at least I didn't think so.
It wasn't hard, but it wasn't easy either.
My best advice I can give you is... REPETITION. I did destroyer about 4~5 times each and it definitely showed in my score. REPETITION IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.
I went over the same problems over and over again and made sure I really understood the concepts. A lot of the problems in actual DAT were application problems. Regurgitating the information is not going to help. Make sure you comprehend.
This test is totally beatable. It is going to be a lot more simple than you think, but still can be tricky. That's the funny part about this exam. Problems seem very simple and easy, but tricky.

You can do this!!! and thanks for reading through this long breakdown.

Just FYI, it will feel amazing to wake up in the morning and not have to worry about this exam ever again:claps::biglove:

Retook the DAT today and received the following scores

*********************AA/TS/BIO/OC/GC/RC/QR/PAT
:punch::rage::uhno:1st attempt: 19/20/19/22/20/16/17/22 (May 2014)
:claps::biglove:2nd attempt: 23/24/23/25/26/18/21/20 (June 2015)



Intro:
I graduated in 2013 with B.S. in Biology
Initially started my education at a community college, then transferred.
I had 3.62 oGPA at CC, then graduated at 4-year institution with 3.14 oGPA and 3.02 sGPA
AADSAS Combined oGPA: 3.30
" " sGPA: 3.20

I'm a reapplicant this year.
I applied last year to about 15+ schools and had only ONE interview at MOSDOH, then rejected.
I thought about retaking the DAT last year, but with this low GPA, especially when it is downward trend, I thought I would have no chance so I applied for formal Post-Bacc and got accepted for 2015-2016 cycle.
I will be applying to a few schools with this GPA with my new DAT since my post-bacc has not started yet.
My plan was applying next year when my fall/spring grades come out so I would be more competitive, but I decided to apply to just a few schools this cycle just to give it a shot.

But seriously, I thought I studied hard for my first attempt at DAT, but when I think back now, I definitely DID NOT. When I saw that 16RC and 17QR, I almost cried because I wanted to become a dentist so badly than anyone ever desire.
My biggest regret is how I wasn't able to maintain a competitive GPA during undergrad and now it's about to cost me 40K just to repair my poor GPA.
YES. YES. GPA REPAIR IS EXPENSIVE. So if becoming a dentist is something you truly want, put in your FULL EFFORT to maintain a good GPA.

So I decided to retake my DAT before my formal post-bacc starts in the fall because I thought it would be nice to get this out of my way so I can concentrate 100% on my school stuff.

I studied my a** off for about 7 weeks, about 6 hours a day.
It's not about how many hours a day you study, it's about how EFFICIENTLY you study for this exam.
I wouldn't personally recommend anyone studying for more than 2 months because if you study too long, what you learned will slowly fade away.
GET YOUR MIND STRAIGHT WITH FULL EFFORT, and study your a** off for about 1~2 months.

Practice Scores:
Bootcamp:
**********1st Run***********************2nd Run

BIO: 20/20/20/19/20******************23/25/21/21/24
OC: 20/20/19/26/20******************24/26/25/26/NA
GC: 19/18/24/22/18*******************23/22/30/30/19
RC: <15/<15/18/20/18
QR: 19/20/19/NA/NA
PAT: 21/NA/NA/NA/NA

Qvault:
RC: 18/18/19/18/17/18/21

Genius:
BIO: 19
OC: 21
GC: 19
RC: 18
QR: 18

2007 DAT:
BIO (32/40)
OC (29/30)
GC (29/30)

MATERIALS USED:
- DAT Destroyer (10/10) - Best material for BIO/GC/OC you will ever find out there.
- Math Destroyer (7/10) - Found this a bit harder, but on a few concepts, definitely helped.
- Cliff 3rd Edition (10/10) - considering it wasn't made for DAT, good for getting down basics.
-Feralis BIO (10/10) - Physiology section is awesome. Easy to refer to using Ctrl + F
- KBB (8/10) - I'm a visual learner. I loved the diagrams in BIO. Easier for me to learn
- Chad's OC/GC/QR (10/10) - This is MUST!! seriously this guy knows how to teach
- AK Lecture (Youtube) (10/10) - I used this on BIO concepts I did not understand.
- DAT BOOTCAMP (10/10)
- DAT Qvault (8/10) - only for RC
- DAT Genius (9/10) - only the first exam in each section

BIO (23):
First, I went through Cliff's notes once and that was enough for me to get the basics down since I retained some information from last year's preparation for DAT. Then I skimmed through Feralis Bio notes to learn more on details, especially physiology. Cliff's does not cover enough Physiology for DAT. After reading through Feralis, I started on DAT Destroyer. I worked on 50 problems in each set just to see how many I get correct. It was usually around 50~60%. Then I would read the answer solution on the back thoroughly for both correct and incorrect answers. This is how you can fully utilize this book. This is not to test you how many you get correct or incorrect. Use it as a learning tool. I made flash cards on the ones I had trouble memorizing.
In total, I went through the Destroyer 3 times, then I polished my knowledge by reading thoroughly through Feralis Bio notes.
Actual Test: I was surprised by how simple the questions were. I was angry because I really focused a lot on Physiology and small details and they never showed up :rage:

OC (25):
I felt pretty confident in this section. I thought this was going to be the highest one.
I watched Chad's videos once, then worked on Destroyer problems like crazy. This book will save your score, at least get you 20+ if you use this correctly.
I went through the Destroyer problems 4 times
Actual Test: Wow haha it was so easy and I thought I had 30 on this, but I guess not.

GC (26):
Same as OC. I watched through Chad's videos once then worked on Destroyer problems like crazy. Went through Destroyer problems 5 times
Actual Test: My jaw dropped. I expected this to be lowest of my science scores. I don't know what happened. But it was definitely easier than both Bootcamp and Destroyer.

PAT (20):
Nothing much to say about this section because all I did was only first practice test of Bootcamp. I retained a lot from last year because I thought PAT was pretty easy as I had 22 on my first attempt. But this time, maybe because I didn't practice, it felt harder than last year.

QR (21):
I went through Chad's videos. I thought it was helpful although he teaches like the basic of basics. I thought it was worth the money because he teaches you like short-cuts and some strategies to avoid calculations.
Last year, I was mentally collapsed after RC and I really couldn't focus on math, and I believe that is why I had a 17 on my first attempt. After I realized I was screwed on RC, my heart was beating so fast and I just wanted to destroy that computer and leave the building.
Although many people found QR Destroyer very helpful, I didn't. I thought it was overkill.
I didn't put much of an effort in this section because I knew that 17 from last year was due to mental collapse.
Actual Test: As someone already mentioned in another breakdown, I thought this was more of an IQ test. Just know your formulas and if you really understand the concept behind math, this section should be pretty doable. All I did was memorizing formulas a day before the test.

RC (18):
I have so much to say about this section. English is my second language and I had a lot of struggle. Last year, I didn't prepare for this section at all because I thought I could get away with it. Like I already said, I wanted to destroy the computer and leave the building during the test soon after I realized I ruined this section. This year I did 5 exams in Bootcamp and 7 exams in Qvault. Reading scientific articles didn't really help much so I stopped soon after.
At first, I did S&D exclusively. It didn't work out for me. It put too much pressure. I actually had to read through the passage and understand what the passage is about.
Not all of them, but what I did was read thoroughly on first 3 paragraphs and skim thru the rest and jump on the questions. This way you can S&D a lot more easily because you would know where the information is.
Actual Test: I had more tone questions that I expected to get. About 7:3 (Fact:Tone) ratio.
My heart was beating so fast because of that trauma from last year. I tried really really really hard to remain calm throughout this section.


Conclusion:
The test seemed easier than Bootcamp and Destroyer, a lot of application problems.
It is not easy as much as what other people say, at least I didn't think so.
It wasn't hard, but it wasn't easy either.
My best advice I can give you is... REPETITION. I did destroyer about 4~5 times each and it definitely showed in my score. REPETITION IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.
I went over the same problems over and over again and made sure I really understood the concepts. A lot of the problems in actual DAT were application problems. Regurgitating the information is not going to help. Make sure you comprehend.
This test is totally beatable. It is going to be a lot more simple than you think, but still can be tricky. That's the funny part about this exam. Problems seem very simple and easy, but tricky.

You can do this!!! and thanks for reading through this long breakdown.

Just FYI, it will feel amazing to wake up in the morning and not have to worry about this exam ever again:claps::biglove:

Hello sexylife,

Thank you for such a complete break down of your DAT experience, it will help a lot of students studying for the DAT. You did not give up your dream of becoming a dentist, your hard work and determination paid off. I was so happy to see you scored an 18 in reading, great job!!!

We are delighted you felt the Destroyer helped you achieve such high scores in the Science section.

Wishing you the best in your journey to becoming a dentist, go celebrate!

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy
 
Last edited:
Hello sexylife,

Thank you for such a complete break down of your DAT experience, it will help a lot of students studying for the DAT. You did not give up your dream of becoming a dentist, your hard work and determination paid off. I was so happy to see you scored an 18 in reading, great job!!!

We are delighted you felt the Destroyer helped you achieve such high scores in the Science section.

Wishing you the best in your journey to becoming a dentist, go celebrate!

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy
Thank you Dr. Romano and Nancy for always helping out students achieve an excellent score!
I am still in disbelief of my scores. I just checked my unofficial score report again to make sure I wasn't dreaming!!
 

Attachments

  • Confirm.jpg
    Confirm.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 189
Thanks for letting me know!
its amazing you went over GC section of Destroyer 5 times.

I have my test is in few days, would you say I should go over chad's problem or destroyer's gchem problem for rest of my remaining days? I get average 19 on Gchem on bootcamp, 2007 and 2009.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for letting me know!
its amazing you went over GC section of Destroyer 5 times.

I have my test is in few days, would you say I should go over chad's problem or destroyer's gchem problem for rest of my remaining days? I get average 19 on Gchem on bootcamp, 2007 and 2009.
If you're struggling in a certain area of GC, just go over only that part of the chad's video then I would stick with destroyer problems. First 4 times going through destroyer, I did that throughout the whole 7 weeks and exactly ONE DAY before my test, I redid all those 300+ problems in one day and I think that was very very critical for me. I learned really a lot from the 5th time going through.
When you walk in for the test, walk in with CONFIDENCE and breathe!!!!! Try to remain calm during the test because I think that's very important. If you get too nervous you won't be able to think straight and very likely to miss a question that you really know.
When you finish the science sections and have some remaining time, go through the marked questions carefully and if you still have remaining time go through all of them as much as you can very fast. That's what I did. Because this test is such a big, life-changing test I think a lot of people get super nervous and make careless mistakes.
Good luck!!!
 
During the last week, I went over destroyer problems and kept on reading my notes along with feralis bio, and saved some of crucial memorizing part till the day before the test .
I wouldn't save your Bootcamp and Topscore practices till last days. You would want to go through bootcamp and topscore at least twice.
They are not meant to predict the scores for you, instead they should be treated as learning materials. Don't be discouraged by the scores you get during the practice tests because they mean nothing.
Go over those practices once, and read all the explanations and learn your mistakes from them.
The reason why I tell you to go through them at least twice is because if you go through them just once, you won't be able to learn as much as going them through twice.
There has to be types of problems that your weak in and you will make same mistakes again, at least I did with the exact same problems with same numbers.
Read those explanations again and slowly digest them. Unless you're a genius, you won't be able to perfectly learn your mistakes from first attempt.
You will learn much more going them through twice although they're exact same problems you've already done before

I'll definitely try to make some time to post my breakdown asap

I just noticed we have the same GPA's and close enough 1st DAT scores. By that logic I'm def gonna kill it this time.

Thanks for the advice by the way I just finished #3 bootcamp and been doing note cards. Feel way more confident esp. after going Destroyer 2.5 times and understanding it. What schools are you applying to if you don't mind me asking?
 
I just noticed we have the same GPA's and close enough 1st DAT scores. By that logic I'm def gonna kill it this time.

Thanks for the advice by the way I just finished #3 bootcamp and been doing note cards. Feel way more confident esp. after going Destroyer 2.5 times and understanding it. What schools are you applying to if you don't mind me asking?
I start my formal post-bacc in the fall and I don't have my new grades yet so I will be applying only to a few schools this cycle just to give it a shot and possibly save a year. If I don't make it this cycle I will be reapplying with new 4.0 fall/spring grades next year to about 10+ schools.
I haven't completely decided which schools to apply to, but most likely I will be applying to VCU, UMD, NYU, and maybe 2~3 more in max.
Good luck on your test!
 
Congrats. Job well done!
What new material did you use the second time you took your DAT?
I used the exact same materials as first time except that I used TopScore first time, but not second time.
I also used AK Lecture videos on youtube to help myself clarify some bio information.
I also didn't use Qvault reading at all for my first attempt.
First attempt, I barely finished my destroyer. I think repeating those questions in destroyer really helped me boost up my scores, and a better mindset as if this was my last shot
 
Congrats!!

I share your pain when dealing with RC. Do you think Qvault was good practice and at all representative to the real DAT's RC?
Yes. It's not going to instantly increase your RC skills, rather it will help you get familiarized with READING which I thought was very helpful because it really did make me less nervous. And I thought Qvault was really representative of the real thing. Bootcamp is not even close
 
Those are some impressive improvements. Did you go through destroyer 5x from start to finish? I did destroyer 2.5 times (.5 just going over what i missed after the 2nd time). GC is definitely my weaker section after doing Bootcamp avging a 20. How did you go through the destroyer esp towards your 4th or 5th time?
 
Those are some impressive improvements. Did you go through destroyer 5x from start to finish? I did destroyer 2.5 times (.5 just going over what i missed after the 2nd time). GC is definitely my weaker section after doing Bootcamp avging a 20. How did you go through the destroyer esp towards your 4th or 5th time?
For bio, I went over and over again and if there were anything I didn't understand, I referred to AK Lecture on youtube channels and Feralis notes to supplement.
For OC and GC, while going through for 4th and 5th times, I really focused on the weaknesses which I starred next to each questions and made sure I really understood them. One day before my test, I did all of 300+ GC questions and I think that really helped me get 26
Yes I went over 5x destroyer from start to finish for GC, 4 for OC, 3 BIO
 
Last edited:
Hello sexylife,

Thank you for such a complete break down of your DAT experience, it will help a lot of students studying for the DAT. You did not give up your dream of becoming a dentist, your hard work and determination paid off. I was so happy to see you scored an 18 in reading, great job!!!

We are delighted you felt the Destroyer helped you achieve such high scores in the Science section.

Wishing you the best in your journey to becoming a dentist, go celebrate!

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy
Nice scores! Kudos!