Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

1h Nmr & 13c Nmr

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ToothDoctor, Aug 12, 2002.

1. ToothDoctor

ToothDoctor Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hi...I'm new here! Could someone please help me out here?!?! I'm completely lost when it comes to figuring out how many peaks (and whether they are singlets, doublets, etc.) a certain molecule gives for 1H NMR. I'm equally lost when it comes to 13C NMR. I have read the Kaplan book over and over again and it seems greek to me. Does anyone have a clear simple explanation with a couple of examples? I appreciate it...Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    I don't have time for any explanations right now, but I can tell you that the odds of having any C NMR on the DAT are slim to none (I don't think I've ever heard of a question with C NMR!). There's a better chance of having H NMR, although I didn't have any of those either on my DAT.

4. vixen

vixen I like members
    10+ Year Member

here's a quick ex:

if you have R----CH2-CH3

the h's on the ch3 are equivalent....therefore, they will all get the same splitting pattern...look 1 c away from them and how many H's do you see? 2 so 2=n and N+1=3 so its a 3H triplet. The CH2 has its n=3, so n+1=4 so its a 2H quartet.....

if you had

CH3-CH2-O-CH2-CH3

the two methyl groups are equivalent here (equivalent meaning they're in the same chemical environment....right next to a CH2 and then and O) so the methyls would get One big splitting pattern of: 6h triplet

the ch2's are also equal so they'd be a 4H quartet...

hope this helps :)

5. ToothDoctor

ToothDoctor Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey thanks! That does help! What happens if there in no adjacent carbon? For example.... CH3-O-CH3?

6. vixen

vixen I like members
    10+ Year Member

CH3-O-CH3 would be a 6H singlet....n=0 here so n+1=1...singlet!