1st attempt during the April testing window?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GardenTurtle

Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted some advice on when to write the NAVLE for the first time. I'm a Canadian student in 4th year planning to write it in April, but I've noticed that the majority of vet students write their first attempt in November/December.

I guess my thought is that taking everything I've learned over the entire year of rotations (in addition to studying with something like Vetprep or Zuku) would only help to improve my chances of passing the NAVLE on my first attempt. I can see how writing it in April risks putting internships or jobs on hold for half a year if you fail your first attempt, but are there any other major downsides that I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of US students wouldn't be able to afford to go 6 months without a job, which is why most take it in the fall. Even though the vast majority of people pass on the first try, it's nice to know theres a safety net just in case. The test is then also out of the way and you're not stuck studying when your friends arent.