1st rejection from GWU -Ouch!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etudiante04

phenomenal
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At this point, I realize how random this process is. No matter how early I completed my application, no matter how good my stats are, I guess its not enough. I got the thin letter yesterday. Not that GW is my 1st choice . . . :thumbdown: but the first rejection stings. :(

Oh well, at least I have an interview lined up somewhere. :)

Did anyone else feel that way about their first rejection?

Members don't see this ad.

Was this pre or post-interview?

etudiante04 said:
At this point, I realize how random this process is. No matter how early I completed my application, no matter how good my stats are, I guess its not enough. I got the thin letter yesterday. Not that GW is my 1st choice . . . :thumbdown: but the first rejection stings. :(

Oh well, at least I have an interview lined up somewhere. :)

Did anyone else feel that way about their first rejection?

my first rejection was georgetown and i actually just kinda laughed at the letter...the first waitlist actually stung a lot more than a rejection.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the rejection yesterday too from GWU. Looks like we were in the first batch :(

Yeah, first rejections always sting--I'm a reapplicant, and I still haven't become numb to the first rejection of the year. :thumbdown:

Anyway, I'm hope you get an acceptance soon!

:luck:

i felt pure anger after my first pre-interview rejection. it dissipated within 5 minutes and my second reaction was pure indifference. you gotta get used to it when you apply to that many schools.

-mota

first rejection was pre-interview at gtown. upsetting because i was also rejected from there for undergrad, guess i'm still not good enough. i definitely agree that the waitlists hurt more (having had 2 rejections,both pre-interview, and now 3 waitlists).

Yeah, I agree with you all that waitlists are worse than a postsecondary rejection. After all, you've met an adcom representative face to face, and you have an idea of what the campus is like. I guess its time for the good ol' Letter of Intent (LOI). Maybe it will help to update the schools on what you are doing now. Good luck.

I'm convinced GW and some other schools only admit students they're sure will attend.

You said it wasn't your first choice, they hunt for students where GW is their first choice... in many cases rejecting overqualified applicants.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Depakote said:
I'm convinced GW and some other schools only admit students they're sure will attend.

You said it wasn't your first choice, they hunt for students where GW is their first choice... in many cases rejecting overqualified applicants.

Yeah when I get waitlisted I like to think I am too good for them anyway :laugh: May not necessarily be true but it helps to ease the pain.

I was distraught when Mayo rejected me pre-phone interview. I couldn't understand what I'd done wrong. Oh well.

Depakote said:

yeah, I hear they have already accepted several people VIA early decision. I guess its back to the waiting game!

I lost the previous GW thread that I posted on, so I'll just revive this one:

I STILL haven't heard from them. On November 8, i got an email from them (because I emailed and asked) that a decision has been made on my file and mailed to my address and that I should receive it in a couple of weeks. Annamarie apparently got a similar notice, over the phone, but the estimate was "a few days." She has since received a pre-interview rejection, and I've still got nothing! What does this mean? Why would it take a couple of weeks to get here? Is it just going to be a rejection? Anyone else get a similar notice from them? Who do they think they are? I DEMAND an interview!

ahumdinger said:
I lost the previous GW thread that I posted on, so I'll just revive this one:

I STILL haven't heard from them. On November 8, i got an email from them (because I emailed and asked) that a decision has been made on my file and mailed to my address and that I should receive it in a couple of weeks. Annamarie apparently got a similar notice, over the phone, but the estimate was "a few days." She has since received a pre-interview rejection, and I've still got nothing! What does this mean? Why would it take a couple of weeks to get here? Is it just going to be a rejection? Anyone else get a similar notice from them? Who do they think they are? I DEMAND an interview!

Maybe you'll be placed in the "HOLD" category. That is better than a rejection, at least.

i was place on hold, while its not a rejection, its still hard to take...theyre saying "you're not good enough to get in now, but maybe when we compare you to everyone else, you will be okay" they tell you they'll relook at it between now and march...thats a long time waiting!!!

taddpole said:
i was place on hold, while its not a rejection, its still hard to take...theyre saying "you're not good enough to get in now, but maybe when we compare you to everyone else, you will be okay" they tell you they'll relook at it between now and march...thats a long time waiting!!!

Make sure you send them updates. For example, if you have any research presentations, if you published, any new grades, awards, conferences, etc.

oh man - gw dropped me too, without even an interview. then i got into a top 15 school. i know someone else the same thing happened to. gw seems to drop people with little rhyme or reason.

C'mon thin envelope! I've been waiting for a rejection from GW for almost four whole months and it still isn't here yet.

So I'm home in Washington interviewing at UW, and that's why I haven't been able to check my mail. I found out today that I DID get a letter afterall from GW, a REJECTION!! Apparently it came over the weekend, but my boyfriend didn't want to tell me because he thought it would make me nervous before my big interview. I guess it was a sweet gesture. But now I'm MAD at GW!! BAH! Who do they think they are!??!?!

Heh, I just got put on the waitlist at GW. Those bastards =P