1st time seizure workup

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iaskdumbquestions

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is something I have seen done differently at the many places I've rotated. Let's say a first time, unprovoked seizure is brought into your clinic, or the ED. What do you do for a workup?

We'll assume that 1) it's truly unprovoked, 2) patient is back to baseline, 3) no other medical history, 4) only 1 seizure

I have seen everything from CT, EEG, labs, Neurology consult to labs and discharge with PCP follow up. So let me ask you what your approach is. Do you think 1 unprovoked seizure requires imaging, Neuro consult and EEG? If you were in your clinic or working in an ED, what would your approach be?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the age of the patient where you get the most common causes (malignancy, vascular lesions, stroke, etc) and that tailors the workup a little bit. Also if history is available you want to try to figure out if it is truly a "GTC" or if there was some focal features which would complicate things. In general though:

1) General labs (CBC, CMP, TSH, LFTs) etc. Urine drug screen at least
2) EEG (if abnormal biggest predictor for epilepsy down the road)
3) MRI Brain W/WO CST

I'm sure others will add more. Also there are Continuum articles written on this subject, I think.

If it was a Generalized seizure And there is some provoking factor And the exam is normal And the patient returns to normal pretty fast, I will send the patient out from ER.

If there are any other red flags- Definite Focal onset Seizure, Prolonged post ictal, Abnormal Exam; I will either admit overnight and get MRI, EEG and labs or if patient seems stable and compliant - get labs and CTH in ER and get outpatient EEG and MRI as soon as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with above. At the institution where I trained, it was very easy to get an MRI and EEG in the ED, so we did for most of these patients. Total overkill. In every other place, I would do it as deathmerchant (ominous name) listed above which is a rational approach I think many folks go by. These are the labs I check.

- CMP, CBC, UA w/ reflex, Serum Osm, Urine toxicology, TSH,
- CK, lactic acid <if I don't buy it was a GTC, didnt use prolactin much based on its limitations>
- CXR
- Afebrile now; if febrile, BCx, LP

Everyone (with new seizure) should get a NCHCT on arrival b/c they can seize from intracranial badness. Interval MRI/EEG is reasonable as an outpatient with the conditions listed above, if not met, would insist on workup being done prior to discharge.

Most important thing, document cautionary measures - advise patient to not drive, swim alone, operate heavy machinery until medically cleared to do so by primary care physician or neurologist.