1st year Transfers...

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDiva23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools "happily" accept transfer students? Has anyone had any experience successfully transferring to a new school? And, should i attend a school that i know i am going to want to transfer out of OR just wait a year :(
ANYBODY????

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't say that anyone "happily" accepts transfers. Students attend schools expecting a certain class size, so if The class is full, you cannot transfer. As I understand it, you basically have to apply to the school like any other applicant. You may be granted advanced standing or you may have to start at year 1 again. I recommend going to a school that you plan at staying at for 4 yrs.

Generally if you transfer you're going to have to repeat that year again because the curriculum is a little different at each school. I would call the schools you're thinking about and ask them. If you know you're going to want to go somewhere else just wait the extra year and save that year's worth of tuition, it's not worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools "happily" accept transfer students? Has anyone had any experience successfully transferring to a new school? And, should i attend a school that i know i am going to want to transfer out of OR just wait a year :(
ANYBODY????

13 years ago when I was in my second year, we picked up a woman from PCO who transferred. I don't think it was a big hassle. IIRC, she had to take one first year class and got to NOT take one second year class.

In general however, it is not like undergraduate at all. You should not attend a school knowing you want to transfer out. I would either attend that school for the four years, or wait a year and go to the one you want to.

Put it this way, unless you have above a 3.20ish cumulative GPA at your optometry school, then you're going to be put a year behind. None of my 1st year credits from ICO transferred to IAUPR (and I had some A's and B's) and I had to start from scratch. The school also accepted a 3rd year student from NECO and started him as a 2nd year.

When talking to school advisers before going to IAUPR, they all told me it is unlikely that schools accept transfer students unless there were outstanding circumstances (ie; valid reasons for leaving, not just I wanted a change of scenery). The dean of your current optometry school also had to vouch for you and write a letter of recommendation (this was the case for PCO, NECO, and NOVA at least). So long story short, if you are not sure about the school, do not waste your time and money. But at the end everything worked out for the best IMHO. Hope this helps =)