1st year vet school list for classes/required textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiger1

UIUC-VMSP (DVM/PhD) Y2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I eagerly await the list of supplies, classes and required textbooks, I was thinking that it might be fun/useful for posters to list the essentials for 1st years when they receive the official announcements. Perhaps we can have one list for classes+required textbooks and another thread for supplies.

The threads should be in the same format as those for interviews and acceptances by schools. I don't anticipate getting my list for IL until late May, but I eagerly await lists from other schools to peruse for comparison...

Since the official announcements per school for classes and required texts should be the same for everyone going to that school, I think once the school is listed, only amendments/clarifications should be made by other posters.

What do you guys think? Wouldn't it be fun for the incoming 1st years and useful for later applicants to have a class/required text and a supplies thread for each of the 28 vet schools?

Members don't see this ad.

sorry to semi hijack your thread, but im curious if the book lists for carib vet schools are similar or the same as the US vet schools?

It may also be useful to see the changes in curriculum and textbooks that some schools will be implementing over the next few years.

Members don't see this ad :)
This year's incoming 1st year can generate the list for all the schools (US and abroad). If next year's SDN participants would do the same, we will have generated a comparison list for those of us interested. Maybe even admission personnel would find it helpful. We can all work together as a community to generate data for trend analysis...exciting!!!

Does anyone know which school send out the list of supplies first. I would guess it would be one of those schools that has early May graduation for its seniors so that admission support staff can then focus energy on incoming 1st years. Yeah!!!

Keep in mind that the data will need to be updated as you guys find out which books were actually useful or not. :) I know it's really, really hard to believe (it was for me), but most of my textbooks are just gathering dust. I use them to look up the odd thing that I don't quite understand, and that's it.

Listen to your sophomore buddies (if you have them) about what books you really need! Although at my school, we didn't find out who our sophomore buddies were until orientation--it's worth the wait to save $500. :)

As for supplies, well, that varies based on how much clinical stuff you do at what point in the curriculum, so I'd definitely get all the "fun stuff" they recommend (like stethoscope, etc).

Have fun!