2.02 Success Story *In Progress*

sandi229

Jan 5, 2021
    Hi all! By the grace of GOD I've been accepted into some Post-baccs for Fall 2021 but am having trouble deciding which one is best to go to.

Schools:
    UMass (Dartmouth) Pre Health Certificate Program
    California Northstate Pre-Med Post Bacc (without guaranteed acceptance)
    Loras College Pre-Med Post Bacc

Still waiting to hear from SMPs.

SMPs:
    CDU MS Biomed
    Meharry MPH
    WesternU MS Biomed
    USFlorida MSMS
    UCSF MS Biomed
    Boston U MSMS
    Benedictine MS Integrated Phys
    Tufts MS Biomed
    Icahn MS Clinical Research
    PCOM GA MS Biomed

Here are my Stats:

Non trad URM 26y/o
    uGPA: 2.02 (final semester: 3.75)
    1st MCAT: 482
    (taking 2nd MCAT in January 2022)
    10,000+ hours of healthcare experience (Northside Hospital and Emory Univ. Hospital)
    200+ hours shadowing
    Strong LORs from 2 physicians and Nurse Educator at the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center
    VP of Premed Volunteer Club during undergrad
    Multiple CDC Training certifications
    Bartender during Undergrad :)

I'm planning to crush the MCAT 2nd time around because I know what to expect. I'm doing the post bacc with hopes of strengthening my app for an SMP with linkage (fingers crossed). Also, most of my prereqs are 8+ yrs old, and my medical school list likes pre-reqs within the last 5 years. (Thank God! because my grades sucked back then)

I'm looking for very personalized advising and a program with MCAT support because I'll be taking it after the first semester. I definitely want to be in a structured program.

Does anyone have any feedback on my 3 post baccs? any alums or accepted students that are going this Fall? I need help, time is diminishing and I can't seem to decide.

labtech312

2+ Year Member
    Jul 13, 2018
      Do you have a second MCAT date Yet? Sub 500 scores indicate significant content gaps. I would recommend taking your time and studying for at least 3+ months to cover your content gaps. Use things like ANKI and Uworld to help nail those weak areas, then you should be good.

Reactions: 1 user
      About the Ads

sandi229

Jan 5, 2021
        Do you have a second MCAT date Yet? Sub 500 scores indicate significant content gaps. I would recommend taking your time and studying for at least 3+ months to cover your content gaps. Use things like ANKI and Uworld to help nail those weak areas, then you should be good.
        No MCAT date yet, I'm waiting for registration to open for January. Thank you so much I'll definitely be utilizing ANKI cards and Uworld! I just ordered a princeton review book set for content review.

Reactions: 1 user

celtic6643

2+ Year Member
        May 14, 2019
          There are also specific medical school pathways for students who are URM that have linkage and are run similarly to an SMP but have more support provided to students. I think both BU Med and Umass Med have programs like that.

sandi229

Jan 5, 2021
            There are also specific medical school pathways for students who are URM that have linkage and are run similarly to an SMP but have more support provided to students. I think both BU Med and Umass Med have programs like that.
            Thanks! I'm waiting to hear back from BU Med for their MS Medical Sciences Program. my situation is difficult because of the 2.02 GPA. Most pathways I've been finding have a 3.0 minimum requirement.

sandi229

Jan 5, 2021
              UPDATE: Just got an interview for Benedictine MS Integrated Physiology Program! (has DO linkages if you maintain 3.3 GPA and 506 MCAT) Anyone know about this program? From what I've researched its a private Catholic school and 2018 class rates look good.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.