2.5 years DPT programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EastSide

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gathering programs that are accelerated (2.5 years or less).
Please help me and other compile lists of programs that require less than the traditional 3 years.

Some are:
- U Del (2.5 years)
- Drexel (11 quarters = little over 2.5 years)
- St Augustine
- Baylor (2 years)

Members don't see this ad.

Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions (in Utah) is a 2.5 year program. University of Pacific (in California) is 2 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Please help me and other compile lists of programs that require less than the traditional 3 years.

Some are:
- U Del (2.5 years)
- St Augustine
- Baylor (2 years)

Army-Baylor DPT is 2.5 years. www.baylor.edu/graduate/pt

18 mo didactic, 12 month clinical

Members don't see this ad :)

Some are:
- U Del (2.5 years)
- St Augustine
- Baylor (2 years)
Chatham is 2.5 years, graduate in December

Last edited:
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, 2.5 years

As a current PT student, I would highly recommend NOT attending an accelerated program.

As a current PT student, I would highly recommend NOT attending an accelerated program.

If the 3 year program costs less than a 2.5 year program, It's not a big deal for me.
The cost of another semester is quite frustrating.

IMO, I honestly don't think 3 years are necessary to earn a DPT degree.
2 to 2.5 years seem suffice.

Listen to the current PT students.... I agree that the additional semester is supremely important, especially if you get more weeks of clinical rotation.

IMO, I honestly don't think 3 years are necessary to earn a DPT degree.
2 to 2.5 years seem suffice.

I wonder why you say that, since you are not a PT student? Please go back to lurking on the DO/MD forums.

Listen to the current PT students.... I agree that the additional semester is supremely important, especially if you get more weeks of clinical rotation.

I wonder why you say that, since you are not a PT student? Please go back to lurking on the DO/MD forums.

Yes I am not a PT student...
I applied during 2015-2016 cycle and received acceptances, but ultimately decided to decline since I wanted to see if medicine is for me.
I spent the next 2 years for prereq & postbac to apply to medical school. More I looked into medicine, my desires diminished.
Now I am in the position of re-applying to PT programs.
Many of my friends are 2 to 3 years into many PT programs, and some have finished. Some 3 year programs mandate students to take Friday off, and some don't. I've spoken to students in 2.5 year programs and many thought that the pace of learning was completely fine and enjoyed finishing early, taking boards early, applying to jobs early, and earning DPT salary early.
I also do not think in this field, 4 vs 6 vs 8 weeks in clinical rotation makes much difference... (but i wouldn't really know, just my opinion). (2 places I observed had 3rd year PT students completely acclimated within 1-2 weeks. They practically took patients autonomously by then with minimal assistance or teachings from practicing PTs)

Also, the proportion for the Cost of attendance vs salary upon graduation is very stark in this field. Many graduates have a difficult time paying off the loan . So to some, ending a semester of 15-20K early is beneficial.

But yes, I am not a PT student and have not gone through the rigor of the curriculum. So to ALL, please weigh PT students comments more than mine.

However, with this said, I accumulated 1300 hours of patient contact (PT-aide & EMT) with couple 100 for observation (inpatient & outpatient). I have seen both sides of PT & Medicine and am making comparative judgment with my observations and insights. I have friends who are completing or have completed PT programs. And in my 6 years, I have spoken to many physical therapist.

This program was to serve untraditional students like me who wish to finish the program early since we are growing older and accruing undergrad debt interest.

Last edited:

Can I ask why? I have been accepted to a 2.5 year program and possibly another one, and they both are really good schools with strong programs. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the 1/2 year difference. I didn't know it made much of a difference other than I have noticed hours of class everyday are longer than a 3 year program I interviewed at which I figured made up for the difference. I didn't compare clinical lengths.

Can I ask why? I have been accepted to a 2.5 year program and possibly another one, and they both are really good schools with strong programs. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the 1/2 year difference. I didn't know it made much of a difference other than I have noticed hours of class everyday are longer than a 3 year program I interviewed at which I figured made up for the difference. I didn't compare clinical lengths.

In PT school you learn A LOT of information QUICKLY. If you want to sustain your well-being, it would not be in your best interest to try to accelerate that anymore.