2.85 science gpa, bunch of extra curricular activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shantibala

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I finished my B.S in Neuroscience with a 2.85 GPA. I have 3 publications, and volunteer work. I have shadowed physicians and have had patient interaction.
I am so confused as to what i should do right now to get me into med school. I was thinking of doing an MPH but i don't know if that will benefit me. Does anyone know? Does anyone know of a medical school advisor, someone who can really help me out, i dont mind paying for the help.
I also started taking psychology courses while i was doing my neuro degree.. what if i went back and finish my B.A in psychology. When i apply, would they consider me as a non-traditional applicant? Would that help me?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I finished my B.S in Neuroscience with a 2.85 GPA. I have 3 publications, and volunteer work. I have shadowed physicians and have had patient interaction.
I am so confused as to what i should do right now to get me into med school. I was thinking of doing an MPH but i don't know if that will benefit me. Does anyone know? Does anyone know of a medical school advisor, someone who can really help me out, i dont mind paying for the help.
I also started taking psychology courses while i was doing my neuro degree.. what if i went back and finish my B.A in psychology. When i apply, would they consider me as a non-traditional applicant? Would that help me?

Thanks!

Don't do an MPH, it will not help. I don't think you need to pay for an adviser. If you take the general consensus of help from this network, it will probably be better.

Two options: MD and DO.

For DO, you need to do a year of postbac and retake every course you got a C or below. The DO application system (AACOMAS) will only compute your newest grade into their GPA, allowing you to "raise" your GPA much faster than the MD application system (AMCAS, which averages the two grades).

By retaking a full year of classes and getting a 4.0 (and hopefully replacing a 2.0 or something), your GPA should "rise" to like 3.3 or something. Then, with an MCAT of 29-30, you have a decent shot at DO. You will need clinical shadowing (and DO shadowing for some schools).

For MD, you need to do that year of postbac, and then do an SMP. By the way, getting into an SMP requires an MCAT or GRE. Then, after the first year of SMP, provided you have a GPA of at least 3.5, then with an MCAT of 33+, you have a shot at 'low' tier MD schools in the US.

what if i just go back to school and get a 2nd B.S degree..? or go back and do a B.A in psychology?

How bout if i apply to a SMP right now? i have already taken the GRE

Thanks alot!

Members don't see this ad :)
what if i just go back to school and get a 2nd B.S degree..? or go back and do a B.A in psychology?

How bout if i apply to a SMP right now? i have already taken the GRE

Thanks alot!

You can try SMP right now, and you could get in. But the SMP won't make your uGPA disappear. Schools will still cringe at accepting a 2.85, even with a 4.0 SMP. So it will still be hard with a 2.85.

Do works well in your situation. You already have over 120 credits with a 2.85. That is an insane number of credits. Its still possible to get into an MD school. Since you have 3 pubs. Play on your strengthen. You have to get it to a 3.0 though. This seems to be a psychological barrier.