WAMC 3.97 GPA, 514 MCAT, Take extra Gap Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poordrdoof

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.97 cGPA, 3.97sGPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 514 (128/128/129/129)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Michigan
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: South Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: T30 "Public Ivy"
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
    1. Medical Examiner - 150 hours: Worked directly with patients to take blood, bp, run an EKG, etc.
    2. Nurse Assistant - 150 hours done - 150 hours projected: Worked with nurses handling patients.
  7. Research experience and productivity:
    1. Biomedical Engineering Lab - 250 hours - 1 poster
    2. Neuromuscular Lab - 2600 hours done - 600 projected - Honors Thesis and 1 Poster
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 50 hours in Family Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery
  9. Non-clinical volunteering:
    1. Refugee Mentoring - 30 hours done - 60 projected
    2. Habitat for Humanity - Leadership Core - 100 hours done - 150 projected
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Study Group Tutor - 250 hours
    2. Nonprofit Founder - 300 hours - 200 projected - Help give school supplies to students in underserved areas.
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Three awards for straight A's, University Honors for 7 semesters.
    2. Thesis received Honors, graduated with High Distinction
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. Double majored in Molecular Bio and Economics in undergrad
    2. Doing a Master of Management at a T10 business to help with the nonprofit during my Gap year.
School List (Needs Help - Too Top Heavy):
UMich
MSU
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Thomas Jefferson
Boston U
Mount Sinai
Mayo Clinic
Northwestern
Stanford
UCSF
Cincinnati
UPItt
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Creighton
Colorado
UMiami
UCF
Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Wake Forest

I also have been thinking about taking an extra Gap Year. I would be able to get two first-name published papers by the time I apply next year. I could also improve my clinical experience. I might also be able to retake my MCAT and improve it. Any thoughts on this option would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are fine to apply this month and you should submit all your secondaries by August. Remove Illinois (very expensive non resident tuition).
You could add these schools:
Toledo
Tufts
Hofstra
Rochester
Temple
George Washington
USF Morsani
St. Louis

When will you finish the management degree? I presume by spring. What are your plans for transitioning away from the nonprofit should you go to medical school? Shouldn't you want to stay close? If so, you need to adjust your list to be more regional. Your state schools should be in play, and the only thing that I would know about is what your purpose to be a physician is. "Underserved" is too broad a brush given what your activities indicate. Would it be refugees? Marginalized children?

I would think about Carle given your engineering project provided you have met their course requirements. But Illinois is pricy for OOS.

Reactions: 1 user
Add Faha's suggestions and remove the below as you are not competitive for them:

Mount Sinai
Northwestern
Stanford
UCSF

Reactions: 1 user