2.9 cumulative / 2.3 science.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherrylifesaver

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats in title, just curious if doing well in an SMP alone would be enough for an MD or DO school?

Or if I would need to take additional years on top of that?

This presupposes that I could do well. Please answer that question under the assumption.

Or ask a separate question if you'd like to question the possibility of my doing well.

Edit: What would I need to do in order to get into an MD or DO school? Please specify which school you're referring to. Don't care how many years it takes, I just want to know what the options are.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't even know if a lot of the SMP programs would invest in someone with a 2.3 GPA. My friend wasn't able to get into MOST with a 2.9. You are going to need to do some serious work - retaking classes you got a D or an F in and do WELL. You may need years of work to get your GPAs (both) to a 3.0 - take community college classes, classes at your local school. Then maybe your stats will be high enough to get into a post-bacc program (which will also be a couple years). I don't think MD is possible with such a low GPA - the quickest way will be a DO route which allows for grade replacement. Even then, I believe you would need ~ 3.3 and a GOOD MCAT.

Retake undergrad level classes until you have >3.2 for a DO app

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't even know if a lot of the SMP programs would invest in someone with a 2.3 GPA. My friend wasn't able to get into MOST with a 2.9. You are going to need to do some serious work - retaking classes you got a D or an F in and do WELL. You may need years of work to get your GPAs (both) to a 3.0 - take community college classes, classes at your local school. Then maybe your stats will be high enough to get into a post-bacc program (which will also be a couple years). I don't think MD is possible with such a low GPA - the quickest way will be a DO route which allows for grade replacement. Even then, I believe you would need ~ 3.3 and a GOOD MCAT.
2.3 is science GPA, 2.9 cumulative, not sure if you read mine correctly... Also, don't most SMP's not differentiate between the GPA's? I may be able to graduate with a 3.0.

My MCAT is also a 27, which is higher than many of the SMP minimums... Not sure if that is significant enough...

Stats in title, just curious if doing well in an SMP alone would be enough for an MD or DO school?

Or if I would need to take additional years on top of that?

This presupposes that I could do well. Please answer that question under the assumption.

Or ask a separate question if you'd like to question the possibility of my doing well.

Edit: What would I need to do in order to get into an MD or DO school? Please specify which school you're referring to. Don't care how many years it takes, I just want to know what the options are.

There are a few issues.

First SMPs tend to be for people who have high MCATs and low GPAs. When I say high MCAT i mean well over 30. GPAs need to be somewhere near a 3.0. That your science GPA is so much lower than your overall GPA leads me to believe your GPA is buttressed by a lot of easy classes. That in and of itself is a red flag.

SMPs are much, much harder than undergrad becuase they tend to move as quickly as medical school with much higher risk. If you mess up an SMP you have essentially gauranteed that you will never get into medical school in the US. That your science grades from undergrad average a C+ is pretty worrisome that you would not do well in the SMP (unless you have a ver significant upward trend).

I think the best advice would be to take some science classes after graduation to raise your science GPA higher than it is. You need to show a good upward trend. Then do an SMP. I can tell you I had a below 3.0 science GPA with about a 3.0 overall GPA but my last year was basically graduate school science classes and made the deans list at a very competitive public university. I subsequently did very well in my SMP and got into medical school. Without that upward trend, I would not have made it into the SMP and would subsequently not gotten into medical school.

2.3 is science GPA, 2.9 cumulative, not sure if you read mine correctly... Also, don't most SMP's not differentiate between the GPA's? I may be able to graduate with a 3.0.

My MCAT is also a 27, which is higher than many of the SMP minimums... Not sure if that is significant enough...

No...I read that part - I can read. Your poor grades in the sciences is what is alarming, and they will pick up on that. You need to first take a lot of science classes and do well on them - bring it up to a 3.0 then do SMP. 27 is still pretty low.

No...I read that part - I can read. Your poor grades in the sciences is what is alarming, and they will pick up on that. You need to first take a lot of science classes and do well on them - bring it up to a 3.0 then do SMP. 27 is still pretty low.
Sorry, I misread and thought you were quoting my 2.3 as my cumulative.

There are a few issues.

First SMPs tend to be for people who have high MCATs and low GPAs. When I say high MCAT i mean well over 30. GPAs need to be somewhere near a 3.0. That your science GPA is so much lower than your overall GPA leads me to believe your GPA is buttressed by a lot of easy classes. That in and of itself is a red flag.

SMPs are much, much harder than undergrad becuase they tend to move as quickly as medical school with much higher risk. If you mess up an SMP you have essentially gauranteed that you will never get into medical school in the US. That your science grades from undergrad average a C+ is pretty worrisome that you would not do well in the SMP (unless you have a ver significant upward trend).

I think the best advice would be to take some science classes after graduation to raise your science GPA higher than it is. You need to show a good upward trend. Then do an SMP. I can tell you I had a below 3.0 science GPA with about a 3.0 overall GPA but my last year was basically graduate school science classes and made the deans list at a very competitive public university. I subsequently did very well in my SMP and got into medical school. Without that upward trend, I would not have made it into the SMP and would subsequently not gotten into medical school.
What about doing a regular masters after graduating? That's easier than an SMP, some have a difficulty very close to undergrad classes. I have more than one degree so it would take a significant amount of classes to budge my undergrad GPA.

Also, I was told any classes you take after you graduate with a bachelors is viewed as a separate GPA? My advisor told me this... That was the first time I heard that, even if I took CC classes or post-bacc classes it wouldn't change my undergrad GPA itself, unless a school looked at them combined, which was not a guarantee.

Another concern of mine is that my MCAT expires this coming year. I guess I'm hoping to get into med school without retaking my MCAT, and the only way to do that would be to get into an SMP this coming fall, do well, and then matriculate. (I know it's unlikely, but that's hypothetically the only way)

I'm 28 years old and been in undergrad for a long time. I took a break after high school too, so I don't want to be in undergrad anymore, which is why I mentioned a masters . . .

Last edited:
Gonna leave this empty for now... Okay, correct stats: (Rounded down)

BCMP: 2.4
Cum: 2.9

Not big difference from before when actually calculated... ha.

I should be able to graduate with a BCMP 2.5 and Cum 3.0.

Last edited:
Post-bacc and CC classes get grouped with your undergrad GPA trust me I just filled out AMCAS and you can ask other people on here - MASTERS PROGRAM WILL NOT though it will count as grad school gpa. That's completely separate. A 2.4 doesn't change much. Your GPAs are still far too low. You need to start retaking classes and doing well in them and bring it up to a 3.0 before you even consider an SMP. The fastest way is to retake a lot of classes and take science classes, unfortunately, and then apply DO if you get a decent MCAT. Med schools will not take you with such poor gpas. You need to first bring those up. Yes, it will take years and hard work for it. You can't take shortcuts unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user
Post-bacc and CC classes get grouped with your undergrad GPA trust me I just filled out AMCAS and you can ask other people on here - MASTERS PROGRAM WILL NOT though it will count as grad school gpa. That's completely separate. A 2.4 doesn't change much. Your GPAs are still far too low. You need to start retaking classes and doing well in them and bring it up to a 3.0 before you even consider an SMP. The fastest way is to retake a lot of classes and take science classes, unfortunately, and then apply DO if you get a decent MCAT. Med schools will not take you with such poor gpas. You need to first bring those up. Yes, it will take years and hard work for it. You can't take shortcuts unfortunately.
Thank you, I guess my advisor was wrong. Not surprised...

Wait, shouldn't I be a contender for MD schools if I brought up my GPA enough? (Which I know would take a lot of years of effort) Let's say hypothetically I somehow brought my BCMP to 3.4-3.6 and my cumulative to 3.5-3.7 or something (I doubt I'd put in enough time to do that, but just for this scenario let's assume).

I know with grade forgiveness it'd be easier and faster for the DO route, which looks like the only route I can take. Damn, I'm scared to retake the MCAT.

Good luck with your applications!

Thank you, I guess my advisor was wrong. Not surprised...

Wait, shouldn't I be a contender for MD schools if I brought up my GPA enough? (Which I know would take a lot of years of effort) Let's say hypothetically I somehow brought my BCMP to 3.4-3.6 and my cumulative to 3.5-3.7 or something (I doubt I'd put in enough time to do that, but just for this scenario let's assume).

I know with grade forgiveness it'd be easier and faster for the DO route, which looks like the only route I can take. Damn, I'm scared to retake the MCAT.

Good luck with your applications!

It'll take years to even bring it up that high. You first need to get to a 3.0 for that science and non-science. And even then a 3.0 is fairly low for many DO schools. You also need to take the MCAT. If you're still dying for the MD degree, you can then do a more formal post-bacc or SMP but you are going to have to ace those classes (3.7+) otherwise you've shot yourself in the foot for all MD and most DOs.

Your MCAT is too low for MD and definitely too low for many DO schools (except maybe the new ones). Show that you can master science classes and set apart months to study for the MCAT very hard after mastering the science classes.

So, basically, take 1-2 years to boost my BCMP GPA to around 3.0ish and then do a post-bacc or SMP that's indicative of med school success, score 3.7+ and also retake MCAT and score well, then I'd have a chance for MD schools?

Damn, I should have taken time off school once **** hit the fan (stuff happened), but I didn't, and now I'm paying for it.

It NEEDS to be a 3.0 or higher without grade replacement when you apply for SMP note that only DO schools do grade replacement. Even then SMPs are gambles.

There are a few issues.

Hi Instatewaiter. I know this topic is from long time ago, but could I get advice from yo, please? I have 2.89 cGPA and around 2.50 sGPA. I am currently taking DIY postbacc and got 2 As so far. Is it okay to email you or message you directly for the advice, please?

Hi Instatewaiter. I know this topic is from long time ago, but could I get advice from yo, please? I have 2.89 cGPA and around 2.50 sGPA. I am currently taking DIY postbacc and got 2 As so far. Is it okay to email you or message you directly for the advice, please?

My advice would be to continue your post-bacc until you have both a c/sGPA of 3.0 or higher. This is primarily due to the fact that most medical schools screen at a 3.0, and by being above this threshold you greatly increase the number of schools by which you can apply. This could be 1-2 years of DIY post-bacc (you'd have to do the calculations for yourself.) From there, you could do an SMP (there are some that have linkages and some that don't) and more importantly you need to focus on your MCAT. Just note that some SMPs incorporate an MCAT-course into their curriculum; however, you know your study style best and can make the choice as to whether or not you want to study for the MCAT during the SMP or otherwise.

Note that there are some schools that screen for GPAs that are below 3.0.

Reactions: 1 user

Sure, send me a pm

My advice would be to continue your post-bacc until you have both a c/sGPA of 3.0 or higher. This is primarily due to the fact that most medical schools screen at a 3.0, and by being above this threshold you greatly increase the number of schools by which you can apply. This could be 1-2 years of DIY post-bacc (you'd have to do the calculations for yourself.) From there, you could do an SMP (there are some that have linkages and some that don't) and more importantly you need to focus on your MCAT. Just note that some SMPs incorporate an MCAT-course into their curriculum; however, you know your study style best and can make the choice as to whether or not you want to study for the MCAT during the SMP or otherwise.

Note that there are some schools that screen for GPAs that are below 3.0.

Thank you very much! Could I ask questions please?
Is it possible that I could get into med school if I don't do SMP? I am considering both MD and DO. SMP is very expensive, and I am trying to cut the expenses as much as I can since I already have alot of debt on my undergrad tuition.
Is it possible if I can go straight to apply for med school after I brought my GPA to 3.0?

Thank you very much! Could I ask questions please?
Is it possible that I could get into med school if I don't do SMP? I am considering both MD and DO. SMP is very expensive, and I am trying to cut the expenses as much as I can since I already have alot of debt on my undergrad tuition.
Is it possible if I can go straight to apply for med school after I brought my GPA to 3.0?

It is definitely possible to get into a medical school without an SMP. Typically, SMPs are designed for students that have low GPAs and high MCATs - as the program is catered to be a sample of what to expect in medical school and whether or not you are capable of handling the course load among other things. That said, ~40% of students who apply will receive an acceptance into a medical school. Some of these students will have better stats than you and some will have worse. I'd recommend doing as much as you can to improve your application so that you'd only have to apply once, as the process of applying is not cheap either. For now, I'd focus on getting your GPA up so you'll have one less hurdle.

Edit - I'd also like to mention that based on my limited knowledge of your statistics, your options of MD are limited, while DO is more likely. Also, there are many things to take into consideration when applying to medical school, GPA, MCAT, URM/ORM, ECs, etc., which may ultimately determine whether or not you will have a successful cycle.