2 English Course requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geneman

The Transgenic Hobo
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having read the biochem thread, how strict are med schools concerning the two english course requirement? For my school's Honors Program, we can use "Honors Seminars" to satisfy an english requirement.

So, for the NYU app for instance, I put down "Expository Writing" and "Honors seminar: Energy, Society, and Climate Change" as my two English courses.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I could be wrong about this, but I think most schools are cool with any class that involves a lot of writing to fulfill the English requirement. If you took any lit. or similar humanities classes I would put that down instead of the honors seminar, but you should be ok if the seminar made you write a fair amount - might have to argue your case at your interviews though.

we have "upper level writing requirements" at our school, that can go with classes in any subject (from english to history to sciences) - and apparently they count as writing (beacuse a boatload of people have been accepted to nyu from here). the honors seminars at our school are also credited for writing by medical schools, our pre-med advisor at some point called to make sure. it may be too late now but i would definately recommend taking a "real" eng class in writing or lit or composition - they are really worth it. other schools, however, that state that requirement do want an english course or at least another writing intensive humanities - taking "chemical distilliation" with intensive writing won't cut it. i would call the school and ask to make sure - thats the best bet.
-jot

Members don't see this ad :)
i have ap credit for one semester of english at my school, now do i only need to take 1 more english class, or should i take 2 english classes. after freshmen english, my school requires students to still take 3 more writing-intensive courses. i was planning on taking english for nonmajors, and then 1 writing intensive course in my major and a seminar, would this be a good idea, or do you think i need more english? thanks

i would take the 2 semesters of english at least - you can never get enough writing or analysis skills (different type from science analytical skills of course) - and at the worst it will help you on mcat verbal.
-jot

you should definitely try to take 2 english courses. some schools specifically state the courses need to be in the english department. although i went to a liberal arts college and took loads of courses that required writing, i'm having to take a basic composition course at a community college to fulfill the requirements for a few schools.