Credit/Non-Credit of a Course that may be a pre-req

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ahmedr85

Reaction score
Good morning, I hope anyone reading this is doing well. I am reaching out wondering if it would be harmful to my application if I credit/non-credit my writing course. For anyone who does not know, my school, the University of Toronto, offers an option to mark a course on the transcript as CW. Doing so would give me the course's credit whilst not displaying the grade, so long as I pass, thus preventing it from affecting my GPA should I do bad in the course. As of now, the harsh grading in the course has me sitting at a B and my professor has made it clear that getting out of that range will be hard for a non-english student. My worry is that some american med schools require 1 year worth of writing credits, so I am wondering how my application will be affected if I exercise this option.

Members don't see this ad.

Just from my perspective, pass/fail grades on a required class looks odd. Since we are beyond COVID, you are expected to have grades for all your prerequisites including your writing class. Having a "bad" CARS (or MCAT in general) will just accentuate this.

A B isn't going to kill your chances to be a doctor. You have much bigger obstacles as a Canadian trying for a US MD/DO spot.

Reactions: 1 user
Dunno about canadian applications, can say the adage is to show grades for pre-req's but I don't know of med schools at the top of my head that require writing. If they care enough to have it as a pre-req, then I'd wager they want to see a letter grade on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just from my perspective, pass/fail grades on a required class looks odd. Since we are beyond COVID, you are expected to have grades for all your prerequisites including your writing class. Having a "bad" CARS (or MCAT in general) will just accentuate this.

A B isn't going to kill your chances to be a doctor. You have much bigger obstacles as a Canadian trying for a US MD/DO spot.
Thanks for the advice. A little off topic, what do you think those obstacles are?

Thanks for the advice. A little off topic, what do you think those obstacles are?
Financial aid. Having to secure 4 years of tuition in an escrow account. Barriers to residency for non-citizens.

Check out...