Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

2 gap years, am I screwed?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by galaxyandstars, 09.24.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. galaxyandstars

galaxyandstars

Applying in 2015. I graduated in Spring of 2013, then from 2013-2014 I volunteered at a hospital, worked, tried building up my hours, etc. From now to 2015, I'm doing research at a hospital and restudying for the MCAT. I was suppose to apply this cycle but put off my MCAT retake until September and voided (when I shouldn't because I was getting ~30 FL scores). It's too late and I know I won't get in anywhere. I now understand it was such a stupid mistake. So, now I'm getting myself ready to prep for the new MCAT (if need be). I'm continuing w/ my job + shadowing, etc (and have a 3.7 culm GPA).

Is it bad that I am applying in 2015, even though I graduated in 2013? I obviously will not make the same mistake and submit first day as I am 100% ready, mentally. Sucks that I'll attend med school when I'm like 26 though.

EDIT: shiz. meant 3 gap years, apparently.

Last edited: 09.25.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Aerus

Aerus Elemental Alchemist 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    The average matriculation age is 24-25, so you'd be about average. Congratulations.

Osteoth and noolsy like this.
  4. Afford

Afford

Medical Student (Accepted)
    No. You're fine. Some people take 20 gap years.

5. galaxyandstars

galaxyandstars

I liked your pre-edited response better.. this one's too sassy. :D
    EDIT: I read that as "you'd be ABOVE average". So I take that back.

Thanks for the response @Afford.

6. Strudel19

Strudel19 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    There's nothing wrong with taking a second gap year. I know someone who took two years off because he couldn't get in, got in and is set to start a trauma surgery residency. He seems to think that those two years off really didn't matter in the long run.

Kochanie likes this.
  7. Aerus

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    We all know someone can come on and say "NU UH WHAT ABOUT 40 GAP YEARS?!" I thought more sass is better. :D

galaxyandstars likes this.
  8. usmleq

usmleq 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There is no such thing as a trauma surgery residency

BePerfect likes this.
  9. moisne

moisne 2+ Year Member

No - I took 3

10. Dr. Retractor

Dr. Retractor 2+ Year Member

Maybe he meant a fellowship in trauma.

11. cactus8910

cactus8910

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    As others have said, taking gap years actually makes you average, and definitely shouldn't hinder you, especially if you've been doing medicine-related things in the meantime. But to be clear, it sounds like you're actually taking 3 gap years, not two, right? If you're not applying this cycle, you won't be matriculating till 2016, which will be 3 years after graduating.

12. GomerPyle

GomerPyle 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, as long as you did something during meaningful during those years!

13. Mad Jack

Mad Jack Critically Caring Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I didn't start until 29. No one cares about two little gap years lol.

14. DoTheTrick

DoTheTrick 2+ Year Member

Calm down. Gap years are very positive things. The coolest people I've met on the interview trail so far have been nontraditionals, because they have taken the time to grow and gain many amazing experiences, some related to medicine, some not. I took gap years myself and I'm glad I did, because doing that has given me mature experiences to talk about. I've learned a lot from them and hopefully, I'll get to bring what I've learned to my career in medicine.

Gap years are awesome. Calm down.

15. NickNaylor

NickNaylor Daisy the Dog Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    SDN
    Author
    As long as you do something productive with that team and, hopefully, can speak about it positively in your application and interviews, your "gap" time will be a huge benefit rather than a detriment to your application. Gap years only become problematic when you stagnate and get nothing done professionally or personally. I always prefer talking with non-traditional students as they generally are more well-informed about medicine and have better explored their interest in becoming a physician than traditional students. Part of that is, I think, the inherent maturity that comes with working "in the real world" and the huge amount of maturation that happens in your early to mid 20s.

AMEHigh likes this.
  16. galaxyandstars

galaxyandstars

Oops, yep, 3 years. Thanks for the wonderful responses everyone :). I wouldn't take back the gap years either. In hindsight, I really wasn't prepared (mentally) to apply end of 3rd year like my gunner peers. These past few years have definitely given me time to grow and such.

17. NCPremed13

NCPremed13 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This. Or at least be able to explain it on secondaries/interviews. You should be fine!

18. Jennyfishy

Jennyfishy 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Most of the people in my class took 1+ gap years with ages that range from 24-39 lol

19. Aerus

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    I hope you aren't implying that people who don't take gap years are gunners.

Ace Khalifa likes this.

About the ads