2 gap years, am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galaxyandstars

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying in 2015. I graduated in Spring of 2013, then from 2013-2014 I volunteered at a hospital, worked, tried building up my hours, etc. From now to 2015, I'm doing research at a hospital and restudying for the MCAT. I was suppose to apply this cycle but put off my MCAT retake until September and voided (when I shouldn't because I was getting ~30 FL scores). It's too late and I know I won't get in anywhere. I now understand it was such a stupid mistake. So, now I'm getting myself ready to prep for the new MCAT (if need be). I'm continuing w/ my job + shadowing, etc (and have a 3.7 culm GPA).

Is it bad that I am applying in 2015, even though I graduated in 2013? I obviously will not make the same mistake and submit first day as I am 100% ready, mentally. Sucks that I'll attend med school when I'm like 26 though.

EDIT: shiz. meant 3 gap years, apparently.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The average matriculation age is 24-25, so you'd be about average. Congratulations.

Reactions: 1 users
No. You're fine. Some people take 20 gap years.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The average matriculation age is 24-25, so you'd be about average. Congratulations.
I liked your pre-edited response better.. this one's too sassy. :D
EDIT: I read that as "you'd be ABOVE average". So I take that back.

Thanks for the response @Afford.

There's nothing wrong with taking a second gap year. I know someone who took two years off because he couldn't get in, got in and is set to start a trauma surgery residency. He seems to think that those two years off really didn't matter in the long run.

Reactions: 1 user
I liked your pre-edited response better.. this one's too sassy. :D
EDIT: I read that as "you'd be ABOVE average". So I take that back.

Thanks for the response @Afford.

We all know someone can come on and say "NU UH WHAT ABOUT 40 GAP YEARS?!" I thought more sass is better. :D

There's nothing wrong with taking a second gap year. I know someone who took two years off because he couldn't get in, got in and is set to start a trauma surgery residency. He seems to think that those two years off really didn't matter in the long run.

There is no such thing as a trauma surgery residency

As others have said, taking gap years actually makes you average, and definitely shouldn't hinder you, especially if you've been doing medicine-related things in the meantime. But to be clear, it sounds like you're actually taking 3 gap years, not two, right? If you're not applying this cycle, you won't be matriculating till 2016, which will be 3 years after graduating.

No, as long as you did something during meaningful during those years!

Calm down. Gap years are very positive things. The coolest people I've met on the interview trail so far have been nontraditionals, because they have taken the time to grow and gain many amazing experiences, some related to medicine, some not. I took gap years myself and I'm glad I did, because doing that has given me mature experiences to talk about. I've learned a lot from them and hopefully, I'll get to bring what I've learned to my career in medicine.

Gap years are awesome. Calm down.

As long as you do something productive with that team and, hopefully, can speak about it positively in your application and interviews, your "gap" time will be a huge benefit rather than a detriment to your application. Gap years only become problematic when you stagnate and get nothing done professionally or personally. I always prefer talking with non-traditional students as they generally are more well-informed about medicine and have better explored their interest in becoming a physician than traditional students. Part of that is, I think, the inherent maturity that comes with working "in the real world" and the huge amount of maturation that happens in your early to mid 20s.

As others have said, taking gap years actually makes you average, and definitely shouldn't hinder you, especially if you've been doing medicine-related things in the meantime. But to be clear, it sounds like you're actually taking 3 gap years, not two, right? If you're not applying this cycle, you won't be matriculating till 2016, which will be 3 years after graduating.
Oops, yep, 3 years. Thanks for the wonderful responses everyone :). I wouldn't take back the gap years either. In hindsight, I really wasn't prepared (mentally) to apply end of 3rd year like my gunner peers. These past few years have definitely given me time to grow and such.

Most of the people in my class took 1+ gap years with ages that range from 24-39 lol

In hindsight, I really wasn't prepared (mentally) to apply end of 3rd year like my gunner peers.

I hope you aren't implying that people who don't take gap years are gunners.