2 IA's - How Bad Is It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedRaider2013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 1 IA from high school. I was in a dual credit class in 2006 and was put on academic probation for low gpa. I figured that wasn't too bad and it was ages ago.

However, I was reading a post on IA's and I almost forgot that I had a second IA from undergrad - alcohol possession in my dorm room which resulted in a semester of disciplinary probation (2009). Never had any further issues, and I don't have a criminal record.

Am I overthinking this? I'm already a nontrad fighting an uphill battle. Will an interviewer/ADCOM care about two relatively minor IA's? Or am I just being paranoid? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well I can only comment based on what I've read on SDN, but the 2nd one seems like it could definitely ding your application. The first one I don't think would matter because its from HS and because it was simply about grades. It could be worse though, you could have been caught cheating or stealing. Personally I don't see that its a death sentence but all other things being equal, it might make an adcom choose a student with similar stats with no IA's.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I can only comment based on what I've read on SDN, but the 2nd one seems like it could definitely ding your application. The first one I don't think would matter because its from HS and because it was simply about grades. It could be worse though, you could have been caught cheating or stealing. Personally I don't see that its a death sentence but all other things being equal, it might make an adcom choose a student with similar stats with no IA's.
I don't think it will be a big deal.... and don't mention anything from HS.

Members don't see this ad :)
HS won't count, and one IA for EtOH without other complications is not a big deal. You're fine.

you said the IA was a dual credit class.....was is it a IA from the college or the high school (not your age, the issuing body of the IA)

The IA shows up on my CC transcript as "scholastic probation." Luckily it's from 2006. 10+ years from the time of application. I would sincerely hope an ADCOM would be forgiving of that lol.

I have 2 IAs on my record, one for underage alcohol possession and one for a dorm noise violation, which I also got over 5 years ago. I've received 9 II, 4 MD acceptances and only 2 rejections so far. This won't affect your application at all.

EDIT: Or, at least, it won't prevent you from getting interviews. Just be prepared to discuss it if they ask. I actually had one interviewer at a highly-regarded school (top 20 or whatever, if that matters) tell me it could be seen a positive since it shows I can empathize with other people who make mistakes having made some foolish ones myself as a teenager.

Last edited: