2 months research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHoosier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was in a special program for biochem research at a large private university this past summer. I got to work in the lab for 40-50 hours a week and it was a really good experience as an incoming freshman. My question is, when it comes to med school apps, will this 2 month experience be a significant activity? I feel like I learned a lot during those two months (mostly that research gets monotonous after awhile and I don't want to get a PhD). What I want to know is will my experience count as "research experience" that everyone refers to?

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a special program for biochem research at a large private university this past summer. I got to work in the lab for 40-50 hours a week and it was a really good experience as an incoming freshman. My question is, when it comes to med school apps, will this 2 month experience be a significant activity? I feel like I learned a lot during those two months (mostly that research gets monotonous after awhile and I don't want to get a PhD). What I want to know is will my experience count as "research experience" that everyone refers to?

This is something that you should definitely mention in your AMCAS application - either in your personal statement or in your activities section

Members don't see this ad :)
It certainly counts as research experience. Is it as good as spending a year or two in a lab? Of course not. Don't expect this to be a strength in your application, but it certainly isn't a weakness. Just make sure that you stick with something for the long term. It doesn't have to be research.