DrHoosier

5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I was in a special program for biochem research at a large private university this past summer. I got to work in the lab for 40-50 hours a week and it was a really good experience as an incoming freshman. My question is, when it comes to med school apps, will this 2 month experience be a significant activity? I feel like I learned a lot during those two months (mostly that research gets monotonous after awhile and I don't want to get a PhD). What I want to know is will my experience count as "research experience" that everyone refers to?

OhioDoc

7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2009
Ohio
Status
Medical Student
I was in a special program for biochem research at a large private university this past summer. I got to work in the lab for 40-50 hours a week and it was a really good experience as an incoming freshman. My question is, when it comes to med school apps, will this 2 month experience be a significant activity? I feel like I learned a lot during those two months (mostly that research gets monotonous after awhile and I don't want to get a PhD). What I want to know is will my experience count as "research experience" that everyone refers to?
This is something that you should definitely mention in your AMCAS application - either in your personal statement or in your activities section

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
I want to know is will my experience count as "research experience" that everyone refers to?
Absolutely. And you learned something important from the experience. Though it probably wouldn't serve you well to articulate that you never want to engage in research again, LOL.

ThaliaNox

10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Medical Student
It certainly counts as research experience. Is it as good as spending a year or two in a lab? Of course not. Don't expect this to be a strength in your application, but it certainly isn't a weakness. Just make sure that you stick with something for the long term. It doesn't have to be research.