2 more California schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Actinomycin

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ACPE proceedings were updated at their site today. Auhs in long beach gets site visit to start a program in 2019. UCI is looking for a Dean for their Pharmd program.

AT least Stony brook was pushed back a year to a 2019 start date per the report.

Scary to think how this is all going to end......
 
AUHS is for-profit so I will probably put a price tag at 195k for the degree. I hope its higher so all the schools in SoCal become like sharks feeding on each other.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UCI is going to be a powerhouse program....it went into law right at the height of saturation and those grads are doing well.

All the mid-tier established programs are going to get bumped down. There’s a built in health system, hospital, and medical school/faculty to draw from.

Wtf is auhs, a school for ants?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
is cali population even growing fast enough to catch up with number of pharmacy schools? i thought people were moving out of california, especially nocal.
 
is cali population even growing fast enough to catch up with number of pharmacy schools? i thought people were moving out of california, especially nocal.


Love the hunger games name! It is exactly what will happen with pharmacy.....

Pharmacist will work gig-economy Pharmacy jobs until we all end up in a fight to the death....since pharmacists are not known for their charm , working as a “pharmacist-escort” might not be feasible....except of course for pharmacy school deans , who just love to $&@@ those in the profession!!
 
UCI is going to be a powerhouse program....it went into law right at the height of saturation and those grads are doing well.

All the mid-tier established programs are going to get bumped down. There’s a built in health system, hospital, and medical school/faculty to draw from.

Wtf is auhs, a school for ants?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Pharmacy is not law where pedigree matters. Licensed PharmD is a licensed PharmD
 
I don't understand. If there is job saturation within this profession why continue to open new schools?

Is this just schools wanting to make profit?
 
I don't understand. If there is job saturation within this profession why continue to open new schools?

Is this just schools wanting to make profit?

You would think it is for more noble and meaningful reasons... like increasing in need of pharmacists due to increased life expectancy or more awesome drug treatments but no... unfortunately, our field is going down south faster than the current white house...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You would think it is for more noble and meaningful reasons... like increasing in need of pharmacists due to increased life expectancy or more awesome drug treatments but no... unfortunately, our field is going down south faster than the current white house...

If I’m an investor with $1M to spare, am I going to give it to the hippie who sings of “noble or meaningful” reasons, or am I going to give it to the snake that pledges to maximize shareholder value and return on investment in all legal (and quasi-legal, seeing that I have shareholder immunity) methods possible?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I don't understand. If there is job saturation within this profession why continue to open new schools?

Is this just schools wanting to make profit?

Yeah, IT's a gravy train for the schools. The Deans don't care, outside of PR reasons, if their grads get a job. Hopefully they at least get a job at Taco Bell so they can count the pharmD's as "full-time employees" in their stats. Heck give them a job earning 10 bucks an hour at a hospital they have influence over just for 6 months so they can count the new grad as employed when it counts. The real money is coming from the Fed and boy is it EASY money. Essentially, pharmacy schools are stealing money from the tax payers by pumping out way too many grads, many of whom are guaranteed to default on their loans.

So who's money is lost ultimately? the tax payers

The school doesn't care.
The government doesn't even care. They have been lining their pockets with Chinese borrowed hush money.
 
If I’m an investor with $1M to spare, am I going to give it to the hippie who sings of “noble or meaningful” reasons, or am I going to give it to the snake that pledges to maximize shareholder value and return on investment in all legal (and quasi-legal, seeing that I have shareholder immunity) methods possible?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did you just call me a hippie? interesting.
 
No need to have a pharmacy school on Long Island. There are no jobs

So - I live in the middle of no where in northern Idaho. So i need some help understanding something. The pharmacy I work in services a population of 5000 and we fill about 450-500 Rx a day. We have 2 very healthy full time pharmacist jobs available and one part time pharmacist. I can spend 90 hoursof pharmacist payroll a week.

Long Island has a population of about 8 million. So I would scale out this math like this.... 8000000/5000 = 1600 so 1600 x 90 = 144000 so 144000/40 = 3600 full time jobs available o Long Island alone.

There must be massive turnover and opportunities opening up all the time right?

And that’s just in retail
 
Damn, it's not just more school opening up in CA, but more students are going to out of state (Nevada, Boston, Chicago, etc) and coming back to California that is going to make the over saturation worst. These students will likely do residency for better job prospect. It's going to be very competitive.

Anyone going to pharmacy school at this point deserve whatever coming to them.

I try to warn some of them but no luck. They are all in denial it won't happen to them because they are smarter, charming, better at networking, luckier. After they went to pharmacy, they asked me for job opening. Most have job in retail but I doubt it's as fulfilling as they hope.
 
The leaders of the "profession" are addicts. They only care about their next fix and will steal and lie to get their high or in this case the next crop of students to sign up. I mean when Carmen Catizone is getting over $750k at NABP and they are nonprofit and you know your getting screwed and NAPB does not do anything to promote us.